Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 22)
Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Today i finally can enter the 100% club on Rockstar Social. After completing the game to the 100% level over two weeks ago i can finally enter to all the glory that is the 100% club.
Inside not many secrets but some nifty stuff.

Ability to see everyones time to completion (including a quick search for your own)

Downloadable wallpapers (widescreen, standard, cellphone, psp, iphone)

Buddy icons and avatars (animated and not)

Ability to print certificate of 100% completion

Printable membership "credit card" inscribed with Niko Bellic and "liberty is mine"

Printable T-Shirt Screen "100% CLUB" screen

Myspace exclusive theme

I'll be sure to post some pictures of the above items later tonight or tomorrow after work...
now i just want to see what this "key to the city" is going to be
SO basically, nothing special over the other sections. Big surprise.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
It makes sense. They need some income for Q1, and it allows them to push GTA "Now with DLC" during the precious holiday season.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 08:28 AM

What sucks is that I know I will not be playing GTA for that long. Now that I've beaten the game, I'll go through and get some achievements, beat the other ending, and that will be pretty much it for me. I'll be back to playing Rock Band 24/7...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 08:33 AM

As much as I love the game, I doubt I'd have been playing until the original DLC drop-date of August.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 08:37 AM

Ok, I'm at about 35% of the way through and I'm at the "Holland Plan" Does it matter who? The D mission is at 100% and PBX mission is at 65%. It auto saved so I am committed to it.
45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 08:40 AM

That depends. Killing one of them gives you a perk, the other doesn't. Otherwise, there is no effect on the story.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 08:44 AM

If you kill PBX you get his crib and D's special ability. If you kill D you don't have to listen to him bitch when you take him out. It's a toss up.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 12:04 PM

D has no money, PBX said he would pay big money.
45/47

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 12:10 PM

Money is basically pointless. Just do the bank-robbery mission and you'll never need money again.

I prefer PBXs crib instead, he has a nice TV
(you'll also notice the perpetually burning blunt in the ashtray)

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 12:45 PM

So, I finally made a run at 6 stars last night. I had hit 5 a few times before, but what mostly stands in my way is my unwillingness to die a horrible death for such an achievement. I die enough from my predilection for speed and motorbikes.

I've found two good venues for Last Stand's in the past few days. First up was the parking garage on West Algonquin (North of the Driving Range and Bowling Alley). The second level is ideal, with cover from helicopters, essentially one way in (the road that crosses the entrance laterally), decent cover (supports in the middle) and a bonus I found on my way out -- armor in the back.

The second venue might familiar for those who have done Francis' missions. In Holland (east), just south of Dwayne's apartment complex is a complex with a courtyard and an elevated walkway which can be accessed by two sets of stairs (There's a crane half a block away if you need a landmark to locate this place). I parked a turismo near the only back entrance and proceeded with my massacre. Once I rejiggered myself into a certain spot I found the waves coming from one spot -- the back door -- and wiped out enough cops and swatmen to earn my 6. Once I got a little low on health, I cleared out anything on my radar and went back down the stairs for the escape.

This proved to be as difficult as you imagine. I drove east to west, then southeast (coming close to leaving the search are), before having to head back north. Then disaster hit -- a tire was shot out. In desperation, I decided my best course of action (a pay and spray), which is inconveniently placed right near a bridge, where loads of cops are always waiting. I made my way there, did an inadvertent 180, and reversed myself into the shop until I came to a stop by hitting the back wall. Bingo - stars wiped away. Apparently the cops half a screen away have no line of sight on you. And that was my 6 star adventure, all 15 minutes of it.

---

I also did a few tests; I took a maverick out to the nuclear plant looking structures in Alderney and took the maverick to the bottom of each one. Notably, there was actually a guy on the top of two of them. He committed suicide from fear of my helicopter being such close proximity.

Lastly, I found a flatbed being driven and jumped on the back and took cover behind the cab (to see if I could get a ride). The AI proceeded to freak out until it finally moved more than 5 ft. at more than 5 mph and I was knocked back and took damage. rockstar really needs to work on their physics. Totally lame.

---

And lastly...
Liberty City Police Face Allegations Of Incompetence, Brutality | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

PS. The Liberty City Marathon is still taking forever. Still haven't hit 50% for miles driven.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 01:05 PM

Great article.

"I was buying a hot dog from a street vendor in Hove Beach yesterday when I saw someone run a red light, barrel down the sidewalk, careen into a garbage truck, exit his vehicle, steal a nearby convertible, and drive away," one Broker resident reported. "A nearby police car didn't even react. But when the car behind him nicked his fender, the officer shot the driver through the windshield and walked away."

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 01:26 PM

Hit-and-run victim left in street without help - CNN.com

Now this is about as close to real life GTA I've seen. Its almost exactly how the AI reacts in GTA. You plow someone over, some people gasp and gawk, but quickly go on with their lives, leaving the person to die in the street. Cars swerve around him. Amazing.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 02:32 PM

More questions on GTA here...

Do bushes count for anything now? They don't slow you down or stop you or anything in San Andreas. What about doors on cars? They're the same thing, you can walk through them, make them hit a building but they're only go through it, etc...

And my previous one again, do cars swerve out of the way if you come at them head-on (apply directly to forehead...)?

EDIT: And do streetlights still crumble at the slightest knock? Sorry for all the questions by the way, but I'm just thinking of all the nitpicks I've had with the game over the years, and hoping they've been fixed in IV.
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Jun 6, 2008 at 02:43 PM. )
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 02:45 PM

If I remember correctly, yes cars do tend to move out of the way.. but if you are doing 100mph and heading straight for them, they don't seem to have time to react. If you move slowly, I believe they move. I could be wrong though. And if you jack a cop car and turn on the sirens, cars move out of the way to let you pass. Pretty nice if you're trying to get somewhere fast without doing too much damage.

Bushes don't obstruct anything. You can walk/drive right through them.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 04:29 PM

I love this game. But the fact some things eg trees and power lines are not destructible is truly ridiculous. Really annoying.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 04:54 PM

Speaking of ridiculous, I had a car catch fire last night and I managed stop right on top of a fire hydrant (making it gush). Of course, the car continued to burn until it exploded.

Oh, and what happened to the Fire Department? They're merely for show now? Has anyone had them show up for a fire?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Speaking of ridiculous, I had a car catch fire last night and I managed stop right on top of a fire hydrant (making it gush). Of course, the car continued to burn until it exploded.

Oh, and what happened to the Fire Department? They're merely for show now? Has anyone had them show up for a fire?
Niko was driving a firetruck when a car caught fire. He tried to put it out, but no such luck.
45/47

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 05:12 PM

I've never seen a fire truck come to a fire. Only the ambulances.

This game is insanely great, but what really excites me is that they still have a lot of room to grow. Personally I can't wait to see what they'll do with GTA V.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 08:27 PM

I forgot to mention (I did a lot of tests/mythbusting last night) I won a single-player race with the Mt. Tasty, just to prove a point.

And the multiplayer lobby really sucks.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2008, 09:50 AM

what lobby?
we don't have time to stop for gas

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
what lobby?
The lobby where all the 12 year olds complain about the game settings.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2008, 03:47 PM

More on GTA IV hopeful fixes...

Do different types of terrain slow you or cars down? Drive slower on grass, and even slower on sand, etc... It made no difference in SA, which is ridiculous.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
More on GTA IV hopeful fixes...

Do different types of terrain slow you or cars down? Drive slower on grass, and even slower on sand, etc... It made no difference in SA, which is ridiculous.
I'm not sure if it affects your speed, but it DEFINITELY affects your handling when driving on grass and sand. Which keeps you from driving faster I guess...

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2008, 05:32 PM

I think it takes longer to gain speed as well on grass and sand. Tires spinning and such.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
The lobby where all the 12 year olds complain about the game settings.
Correct. The lobby where people keep joining and leaving after the Host chooses to start the game. The lobby where people can uncheck that they are ready after the Host presses A. The lobby where someone changing teams resets the countdown. The lobby where you could theoretically stay perpetually if the Host never checks ok, or a majority of players never decide to check ok.

I think the problem is that it's too democratic.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 09:36 AM

Because I was bored and I realized I could.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 12:07 PM

Haha, I got 6 stars totally by accident. At the end of the helicopter mission with Little Jacob, I decided to fly around a bit, and I guess I flew through a no-fly zone because I saw my radar turn red and my wanted level was all the way up to 6. Boy though, the police helicopters are pretty incompetent. I don't even think they try to shoot you down. It's super easy to outrun them anyway.

I easily got the "One Man Army" achievement (survive for 4 minutes at 5- or 6-star wanted level), but eventually I crashed while trying to go under the last bridge I needed for the "Under the Radar" achievement. I was promptly shot by a police boat.

Also, I did three leaf clover, and it was easy. Just get headshots and use body armor, and don't run into places. Cops are pretty inaccurate at long range, but you're not.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Starsixer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2008, 02:11 AM

You can get a quick 6 stars by finding an alley and cornering yourself in. Just make sure you have some overhead cover, or that you're between two skyscrapers so the helicopters can't get to you. Also make sure there is a corner in the alley somewhere for you to find cover. Pretty simple really, I got the achievement for lasting like three minutes and managed to lose my wanted level at a safe house. And if that doesn't work, if you get PBX's penthouse the cops can't get up there and you can just shoot them from the roof and blow up helicopters.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 07:42 AM

So last night I had my first (and probably last) date with Carmen.
Did I contact her too early?
She liked my car but she hated my clothes since I still can only dress in russian low style (no other shops available yet)!
I took her to the Burger Shot because that's what I read she would like - well, at least she didn't hate it...
...but after I took her home she told me that she didn't want to see me again!?

And now? That was it?
Well, she was quite annoying anyway!
I should have shot her...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
So last night I had my first (and probably last) date with Carmen.
Did I contact her too early?
She liked my car but she hated my clothes since I still can only dress in russian low style (no other shops available yet)!
I took her to the Burger Shot because that's what I read she would like - well, at least she didn't hate it...
...but after I took her home she told me that she didn't want to see me again!?

And now? That was it?
Well, she was quite annoying anyway!
I should have shot her...
After a week of in-game time you can date her again. Carmen likes Perseus clothes only, and the nicest cars. The best place to take her is the strip club.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 12:35 PM

You get extra points for driving as fast as possible, just try not to slam into anything.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You get extra points for driving as fast as possible, just try not to slam into anything.
On a date? I don't think so.

Edit - FYI, here is a dating "guide":

Originally Posted by xbox360achievements.org
Throughout the game there are several women that you have the option of dating. Once you take them out, if they like you enough, when you bring them back home, you will have the option to press to take them to bed. How much they like you is based on several factors, such as the car you're driving, where you purchased your clothes, and where you take her.

Listed below are the women possible to date, how to meet them, the cars they most prefer to be picked up in, their favorite clothing stores, their top 4 or so favorite social venues (% is based on how much the woman likes that place, out of 100), and finally if sleeping with the woman nets you any special ability. If you sleep with one of the women that do have an ability, there is no rhyme or reason to when they offer it to you. Sometime after you sleep with them you will receive a call from the woman offering her services.

**Can be done after completing story mode**

Name: Michelle
Acquired: Complete "Three's a Crowd"
Favorite Cars: Roman's Cab, Merit, Voodoo, Banshee, Blista
Favorite Clothiers: Russian, Hats, Glasses
Favorite Venues: Darts (80%), Pool (80%), Comedy (75%), Steinway Beer Gardens (70%), Lucky Winkles (70%)

Name: Carmen Ortiz
Acquired: Date "SoBoHoe" from Love-meet.net after completing "Out of the Closet"
Favorite Cars: Sultan RS, Dukes, Stallion, FXT, E109
Favorite Clothiers: Modo, Perseus
Favorite Venues: Any Drinking/Club (90%), Darts (80%), Strip Club (80%), Cabaret/Comedy (80%)
Special Ability: Can heal you when you're injured by calling her

Name: Kiki Jenkins
Acquired: Date "LawChick" from Love-meet.net after completing "Out of the Closet," and unlocking the island of Algonquin
Favorite Cars: Washington, Chavos, Dilettante, Marbella, Willard
Favorite Clothiers: Russian, Hats, Glasses
Favorite Venues: Jerkov's (85%), Club Liberty (85%), Pool/Dart/Bowling (80%), Cabaret/Comedy (80%)
Special Ability: Can get rid of up to a 3 star wanted level by calling her

Name: Alexandra Chilton
Acquired: Date "Liberated Woman" from Craplist.net after completing "Out of the Closet," and unlocking the island of Algonquin
Favorite Cars: Huntly, Turismo, Stretch, Infernus, Cognoscenti
Favorite Clothiers: Perseus
Favorite Venues: Pool/Dart/Bowling/Strip Club (80%), Cabaret/Comedy (80%), Steinway Beer Gardens (70%), Lucky Winkles (70%)
Special Ability: You will get all clothes in the city for half price for 24 in-game hours after she offers it to you

Name: Kate McReary
Acquired: Complete "Waste Not Want Knots"
Favorite Cars: Rebla, Patriot, Comet, Habanero, Super GT
Favorite Clothiers: Russian
Favorite Venues: Darts (80%), Pool (80%), Steinway Beer Gardens (70%), Lucky Winkles (70%)
One thing that the "guide" missed is that taking Kiki to the diner next to your first safehouse is by far her favorite place. She remarks that she used to go there when she was a kid.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 01:34 PM

I think he's referring to the fact that once you get near top speed, Carmen will exclaim something like, "I love you, Niko, you so loco!"

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 01:43 PM

I think he's referring to the fact that once you get near top speed, Carmen will exclaim something like, "I love you, Niko, you so loco!"
Yeah but I'm not sure that actually affects your date "score" or not. I know that if you go so fast with Dwayne he'll complain, but his percentage would still go up the same.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 05:20 PM

I just figured it added to her liking of you...guess not.

"You drive like you just don't give a f**k!"

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 03:28 PM

Anyone have a recommendation for a good pigeons guide? If they have it broken up by island that'd be great, too.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2008, 04:07 PM

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2008, 04:52 PM

Interactive Google Maps-style map: GTA 4 Liberty City Map

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 06:44 PM

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 03:19 AM

Wow, yesterday was a weird day in GTA4....only strech limos and those cars that look like Mercedes SLs on the street! Very weird! About 70% MB SLs, 20% strech limos and 10% other cars!
WTF???

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 03:28 AM

Hah, today I saw a virtually endless supply of hearses.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 03:55 AM

...and I found out that it's not possible to shoot your girlfriend!
I shot Michelle in the face (twice) with the shotgun but that only pissed her off!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
...and I found out that it's not possible to shoot your girlfriend!
I shot Michelle in the face (twice) with the shotgun but that only pissed her off!
I think that only applies in Michelle's case. She's important in some missions later on so you can't kill her. I think you can kill your other girlfriends though.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 08:04 AM

The car spawning is still as poor as ever. That and what seems to be poor color selection make it feel like a game more than it should.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 11:52 AM

Any have success with the Carmen phone heal thing? I call her and she just tells me to rest, or is that it. Your health gets restored when you lie down. Did it not do this before Carmen reaches >75%?
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 11:53 AM

As a silly aside, I had a "you know you've playing too long..." moment from a pic posted in the airbus thread:

Found this, inspiration for the Korean mission?
45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 11:56 AM

Perfect.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Any have success with the Carmen phone heal thing? I call her and she just tells me to rest, or is that it. Your health gets restored when you lie down. Did it not do this before Carmen reaches >75%?
I've found it to be glitchy at best. The only way I've gotten it to work is to stop moving completely, call Carmen, and not move again until your health rises. And even then it only works some of the time.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 12:53 PM

I followed your instructions a long time ago, jokell, and as long as you don't move it works. But you also can not skip through the conversation. Nothing has happened every time I've done that.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 11:51 PM

r or d? and why.
45/47

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I'm not even a friend of Carmen yet but I also wondered why my health sometimes is back to 100% after sleeping (saving)!?
This does not happen every time I think but just yesterday it happened again - even the armor restored to 100%!

Forum Links
Forum Rules