Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 23)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
I'm not even a friend of Carmen yet but I also wondered why my health sometimes is back to 100% after sleeping (saving)!?
This does not happen every time I think but just yesterday it happened again - even the armor restored to 100%!
Health always goes back to 100% after sleeping/saving.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
r or d? and why.
Do you mean Fr or D?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Do you mean Fr or D?
I think he means Revenge or Deal.

I went Revenge. I'll be doing deal this weekend.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 08:51 AM

Just go with your gut. I tried to do what I thought *rockstar wanted and totally regretted it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 04:19 PM

So, this is Niko's "Kobayashi Maru " moment?
45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 04:22 PM

Precisely.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 07:33 PM

Who needs Digg? This thread made front page on MacNN. Watch the number of thread views skyrocket now.

MacNN | Forums: MobileMe anticipation, iPod sound issues

FYI, I'm the member who threw his iPod in the freezer.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2008, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Wow, yesterday was a weird day in GTA4....only strech limos and those cars that look like Mercedes SLs on the street! Very weird! About 70% MB SLs, 20% strech limos and 10% other cars!
WTF???
Ok, it seems that this isn't uncommon - yesterday it happened again and I realized that the type of car depended on the area. One block was full of cars of type1 (+ strech limos, taxis and police cars), next area was full of type2...and one street was completely filled with parked motorcycles (~ 40-50) on both sides of the street...

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Who needs Digg? This thread made front page on MacNN. Watch the number of thread views skyrocket now.

MacNN | Forums: MobileMe anticipation, iPod sound issues
I don't know what to be more impressed by, the fact that we made an article, or the fact that someone around here steal reads MacNN proper.

So what do I get for making an article? Does that make me an honorary admin now? Maybe a MacNN T-shirt?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2008, 08:58 AM

You will get nothing and like it!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2008, 12:06 PM

Nothing against this thread, but I wonder why the Halo 3 thread slipped under the radar. It was growing multiple pages a day for a while there.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
You will get nothing and like it!
I want it pulled from the front page! I want it pulled from the front page! *pout*

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Nothing against this thread, but I wonder why the Halo 3 thread slipped under the radar. It was growing multiple pages a day for a while there.
I think this thread made it because of the "Tips and tricks", though I'd consider the amount of relevant content for that in this thread to be negligible. We just answer question from fellow denizens periodically.

Edit: Maybe because my name is mentioned prominently in the other thread's title?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 12:23 PM

I think he means Revenge or Deal.

I went Revenge. I'll be doing deal this weekend.
Just go with your gut. I tried to do what I thought *rockstar wanted and totally regretted it.
I am playing it both ways. I saved the game in slot two after "One Last Thing" This way all I have to do is decide revenge or deal. I finished "revenge" and will do the "deal' today.
45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 12:26 PM

I am playing it both ways. I saved the game in slot two after "One Last Thing" This way all I have to do is decide revenge or deal. I finished "revenge" and will do the "deal' today.
We all did, but you had to have a preference going in.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 12:29 PM

Just curious. What is the age range of people playing GTA 4. (I'm 46) Are there any females playing GTA 4?
45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 12:31 PM

Not in this thread.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2008, 12:45 PM

Girls are to busy shopping and putting on makeup to play video games.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 12:51 PM

When was the last time you played this sek?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 12:57 PM

I haven't seen you on much lately, but honestly, I haven't played much either. What have you been playing, aside from a little bit of Halo. You beat another game since getting GTA?

Edit: Mind-taker!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2008, 12:57 PM

Oh god, weeks at this point.

I'm still only 54% done. This is the problem when you buy to many video games for your own good. I'm surprised I even finished RSV2.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2008, 01:04 PM

I'm behind on my games too. Oh the irony... now that I'm out of college and have a real job I can afford to buy all the games I want, but I no longer have time to play them.

Right now my most active games are GTA IV, Forza Motorsport 2, and to a lesser extent, Halo 3. That'll change since I just got Call Of Duty 4 today (played it for a while on PC, now I want to try it on the Xbox). I also have Project Gotham 3 (doesn't get much play) and NHL 08 (pretty much only play it when a friend visits me).

Not to mention all the PC games I have that I haven't played in forever... Bioshock, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Team Fortress 2 (though to be fair, I don't really like those last two).

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2008, 01:05 PM

How dare you reply to me in the past!

Like I said, I've been in love with EV Nova again. Just running through a nifty storyline extension plugin right now. I really want to play Halo 3 with all you jerks though, probably some of the most fun I've had with online gaming.

The problem with GTA is that it takes massive chunks of time out of the day with ease. I still didn't beat Condemned 2.....someday.

Anyone know how I can make enough money for high-speed internet and food without working?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2008, 01:07 PM

Anyone know how I can make enough money for high-speed internet and food without working?
I heard Dakar whores himself out. It ain't work if you enjoy it!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
I heard Dakar whores himself out. It ain't work if you enjoy it!
Those must be some pretty desperate men.
ZING!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 01:12 PM

Those must be some pretty desperate men.
ZING!
Yeah, Luca doesn't seem that bad, but he really overpaid to have me spend the week with him.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2008, 01:14 PM

Gay sex and snide remarks, he must've been in heaven!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 01:25 PM

Gay sex and snide remarks, he must've been in heaven!
There is such an easy joke there, and I just can't do it. It'd just be waaaaaaay out there.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2008, 12:34 AM

i feel as if i've been out of the loop for a while, so hello everybody.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 11:32 AM

so, once you are at "Story Completed", Niko still has people to meet and kill. According to the map, there is a flying rat out passed the runways. How do you get out there without getting killed?
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 11:55 AM

Someone mentioned "last stands" Niko did one on the "Statue of Happiness" (upper level) and lasted ~30 minutes on six stars. The cops can't get up there so Niko spends the entire time dealing with the choppers and sniping the cops across the river and civilians around the island.
45/47

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2008, 01:16 PM

so, once you are at "Story Completed", Niko still has people to meet and kill. According to the map, there is a flying rat out passed the runways. How do you get out there without getting killed?
Go out there and kill it? I'm not sure I understand the problem.

If you mean how do you get out there without getting a wanted level, that's not possible (well, maybe if you went there on a boat and sniped the pigeon from the boat). But really it takes the cops a LONG time to get to you when you hit the runway. You should have plenty of time to kill the thing and get out of there.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 01:40 PM

Go out there and kill it? I'm not sure I understand the problem.

If you mean how do you get out there without getting a wanted level, that's not possible (well, maybe if you went there on a boat and sniped the pigeon from the boat). But really it takes the cops a LONG time to get to you when you hit the runway. You should have plenty of time to kill the thing and get out of there.
My bad. I was thinking on foot. If Niko is in a car it should not be that difficult.
45/47

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2008, 06:34 PM

I was reading a pigeon-shooting guide (currently have shot about 40 of them, so I have a long way to go) and it said that one of the pigeons is on the railing on top of the air traffic control tower. The only way to get close enough for it to even render is to shoot it from the runway... if you're in the ocean, it won't draw because it'll be too far away.

Another way to get it, though, is to take a helicopter and land it on top of the tower and shoot it from there. Police helicopters are pretty incompetent at stopping you, so even if you do get a wanted level, you should be fine.

admo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2008, 08:08 AM

There are two ways you can get that pigeon that is on top of the control tower. Do the sixaxis tutorial, and when you are given the helicopter, land up there. You will have no weapons, but I think there is a shotgun near by up there. The way I did it was to fly a helicopter during regular play, and land on top of the control tower. You get no wanted level unless you set foot on the ground. I have about 30 pigeons left to do, then on to stunt jumps!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
i feel as if i've been out of the loop for a while, so hello everybody.
You're just like me. Leave college for the summer and regular communication drops off.

I also find it hilarious that sek played Orange Box, of all things, yesterday.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by admo View Post
There are two ways you can get that pigeon that is on top of the control tower. Do the sixaxis tutorial, and when you are given the helicopter, land up there. You will have no weapons, but I think there is a shotgun near by up there. The way I did it was to fly a helicopter during regular play, and land on top of the control tower. You get no wanted level unless you set foot on the ground. I have about 30 pigeons left to do, then on to stunt jumps!
You know, you could always just take a taxi to the Helitours pier and steal a helicopter there. That lets you bring your weapons and you don't have to be on the PS3 version. That's what I did yesterday and it worked great. Except that my helicopter was apparently damaged beyond repair after I landed, even though I landed carefully... so I ended up having to jump to my death.

Anyway, I finished the game last night. Pretty fun. Also kinda sad. I'll be shooting pigeons and jumping ramps for a while. Plus I still have tons of side missions I need to do - stealing cars and racing for Brucie, doing jobs for Jacob, police vigilante missions, etc.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 11:17 AM

Take Dwayne's boys on the Vigilante missions, it will make them a lot easier. Come to think of it, I'll take them on the drug runs that still need to be completed, there seems to be trouble all the time on those Jacob jobs.
45/47

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 11:42 AM

Man, I tried to do one of Jacob's jobs once and I couldn't even get to the place on time. I even went right to the waypoint but there was no one there and it must have been in a nearby alley or something, but I couldn't find anything.

Once you take one of those missions, do you have to stay in the car he gives you? I was late to one specifically because the car was so bad and couldn't even make it up a hill.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 11:55 AM

Man, I tried to do one of Jacob's jobs once and I couldn't even get to the place on time. I even went right to the waypoint but there was no one there and it must have been in a nearby alley or something, but I couldn't find anything.

Once you take one of those missions, do you have to stay in the car he gives you? I was late to one specifically because the car was so bad and couldn't even make it up a hill.
The "get there before the buyer leaves" mission is a pain. He is waiting in the breeze way. You need to haul ass the entire way. There is a short cut in the first part of the trip that cuts off just enough distance to get there in time if you crash once. Otherwise if you follow the GPS route you can't crash at all. There is a different car for the next job, another rust bucket, take backup
45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 11:57 AM

Once you take one of those missions, do you have to stay in the car he gives you?
Yes, the car contains the drugs.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 03:04 PM

I started doing the pigeons, and I'm pretty annoyed with some of the locations. I had one that I was within a car's lenth of, and I didn't hear a damn thing. Then there are the two or three spots that randomly have two together? What gives, there are tons of great places they didn't do.

Then there's the issue that there are several that I've passed tons of times, but never noticed because when driving, they don't resolve fast enough, clear enough, they don't glow, and of course, you can't hear them. I just looked on a guide, and there's one on top a bridge where I've flown over a ton of times specifically looking for one that I never spotted. Lame.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 03:40 PM

I also find it hilarious that sek played Orange Box, of all things, yesterday.
Hey, if I noticed you were playing H3 I would've played that, but MP GTA IV isn't a big enough draw to tear me away from shooting Zombies for hours.

Which, by the way, makes me wonder why you haven't played it yet. I know, I know, you like 007 controls for some bizarre reason, but the Half-Life 2 package is in my top-5-best-games-of-all-time-list. The atmosphere and story are second to none, and better than most sci-fi movies in recent memory.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 03:45 PM

Hey, if I noticed you were playing H3 I would've played that, but MP GTA IV isn't a big enough draw to tear me away from shooting Zombies for hours.

Which, by the way, makes me wonder why you haven't played it yet. I know, I know, you like 007 controls for some bizarre reason, but the Half-Life 2 package is in my top-5-best-games-of-all-time-list. The atmosphere and story are second to none, and better than most sci-fi movies in recent memory.
I beat Portal. I've done my job.

But my amusement stems more from the other titles you named that you had to play. Orange Box was not among them.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 03:53 PM

If I had been able to find the DC converter for my SNES I would have played Super Metroid instead!

I've been going back in time through my game collection recently, sometimes you really can't beat the classics.

Edit: I'm glad you beat Portal, but if you're a sci-fi nerd (and I'm fairly certain you are) you'd absolutely love the Half-Life 2 series. Yes it's a FPS, but it's the FPS to end all FPSes.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 03:56 PM

Agreed, the original Metroid is about as hard as they come for classics. I used an emulator with freeze states and an online walkthrough and I still couldn't make headway after weeks. Eventually I gave up.

Edit: Time-warp!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 03:56 PM

sometimes you really can't beat the classics.
This applies to me more literally.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 08:13 PM

If I had been able to find the DC converter for my SNES I would have played Super Metroid instead!

I've been going back in time through my game collection recently, sometimes you really can't beat the classics.

Edit: I'm glad you beat Portal, but if you're a sci-fi nerd (and I'm fairly certain you are) you'd absolutely love the Half-Life 2 series. Yes it's a FPS, but it's the FPS to end all FPSes.
Weird, last week i popped The Legend of Zelda A Link To the Past (a personal favorite) and beat that and have spent some time this week playing Super Metroid (i found my snes in the closet when i got home from school) inbetween playing GRID for the 360 (for some reason i must purchase every racing game released)

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 08:15 PM

I would concur, after never playing HL1 or HL2 i made it a point before buying the orange box to play HL1 and soon after beating HL2 beat Episode 1/2. It has since skyrocketed to the my top 3 FPS of all time. (halo and perfect dark would round out that series)

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Blah blah HL2 ... has since skyrocketed to the my top 3 FPS of all time. (halo and perfect dark would round out that series)
Have you never played COD4? or are you just not a fan of awesome?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 09:30 PM

COD4 is a great military FPS, but it's not in the same realm of fantasy sci-fi story that Half-Life has. They may both be FPS, but that's where the similarities end.

Forum Links
Forum Rules