Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dual-Link DVI resolution . . .

Dual-Link DVI resolution . . .
michael180
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2009, 04:40 PM

I just purchased a 15in MacBook Pro. And I hooked up my Dual-Link DVI adapter to mirror what's on my laptop to my 30in Cinema HD. But the resolution on the Cinema HD is stretched and very ugly, something like 640X480. I have the resolution for the Cinema HD set at 2560X1600, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. They tell me at the Apple help desk that this is the best I can get.

Any suggestions?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2009, 04:55 PM

The new mini displayport machines require a special $99 converter to get dual-link DVI. Is that the one you're using?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2009, 05:01 PM

I haven't used 2 displays in awhile. Does mirroring require both displays at the same resolution? If so, you may want to turn mirroring off. Have you tried turning mirroring off? It should extend the display and you can choose any resolution for the cinema display.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

michael180  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The new mini displayport machines require a special $99 converter to get dual-link DVI. Is that the one you're using?
I think I have everything. It cost $99 all right. It's the "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter". It came in a box without instructions of any kind, just a picture on the back. I do a great deal of image work, and if this is the best resolution I can get, it's not worth it.

Thanks.

michael180  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I haven't used 2 displays in awhile. Does mirroring require both displays at the same resolution? If so, you may want to turn mirroring off. Have you tried turning mirroring off? It should extend the display and you can choose any resolution for the cinema display.
If I turn mirroring off then I have to drag the display from the laptop all over until it shows up, and the dock and everything else else on the desktop is missing

mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2009, 07:27 PM

Have you tried running in closed lid mode?
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2009, 07:28 PM

Shouldn't this thread be in the laptop section?
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

michael180  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2009, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by mac redneck View Post
Have you tried running in closed lid mode?
That seems to work? If I put it so sleep, and close the lid then wake it, the resolution is there. Thanks so much for the tip.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 15, 2009, 02:24 PM

Thread moved to Peripherals ... which we inconveniently call "Consumer Hardware and Components" because it also covers most anything electronic outside the computer.

With a 2nd display attached and the lid open, go to your Displays preference pane. There will be a new tab present called "Arrangement". This tab shows you both displays, and how they are mapped out physically. You can drag the display icons around into an arrangement that matches the actual positions of the monitors.

You can also drag the menu bar from the top of one icon to the other - this will move the menu & Dock to the bigger monitor. Note: if the bigger monitor is unplugged, the menu and Dock will revert to the remaining display.

Forum Links
Forum Rules