Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > strange falling windows/automatic scrolling

strange falling windows/automatic scrolling
mauimac
Sep 2, 2001, 07:47 AM

Hi, I'm running 9.2 on a new G4/867 and a strange thing just happened twice...I had been in Internet Explorer, then opened a Word document..it immediately started scrolling down to the bottom and wouldn't stop! I could drag the bar up, but it would drop back down to the bottom. Also the help wouldn't work, I could click and it would appear to lauch the balloon text from the little mac dude, then it would flash and be back to rest; couldn't call up help. Then the weird stuff transferred to the finder and the open windows there...automatic down-scrolling. Another thing I noticed is that I could create a new folder but couldn't name it. Things were fine upon restart, briefly..finder & word OK, then shortly afterwards it came back. Allocated more memory to Word & IE, restarted, same thing. restarted, right now it's OK but I'm guessing it will come back. Can someone tell me WTF is going on? Very weird! the only different thing I did recently was earlier today I custom installed an add-in to Word...the template wizard, bit it seemed fine & harmless. It seems safe for now but it's a creepy occurrence....has anyone encountered anything like this before?
Thanks for your help,
-Liz

cElls
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2001, 09:48 AM

Do you have a scroll mouse? If so, try unplugging it. Maybe it's defective.

mauimac  (op)
Sep 2, 2001, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by cElls:
<STRONG>Do you have a scroll mouse? If so, try unplugging it. Maybe it's defective.</STRONG>
No, just the apple pro mouse.
So weird...imagine that the scroll bars were all weighted down!

Thanks,
Liz

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2001, 03:30 PM

Are you sure nothing was resting on your keyboard? I've stumped myself before by having all sort of weird things happen only to realize that a notebook or something was resting on a key or keys of my keyboard.

mauimac  (op)
Sep 3, 2001, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by spicyjeff:
<STRONG>Are you sure nothing was resting on your keyboard? I've stumped myself before by having all sort of weird things happen only to realize that a notebook or something was resting on a key or keys of my keyboard.</STRONG>
Very logical question, but no, nothing is near or on my keyboard!

This is a really weird issue that no one I've talked to/emailed seems to have encountered..maybe a new bug or something...?

H�rnchen
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2001, 03:29 AM

Have you checked for (Macro)virus?
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 04:09 AM

It sounds like an extension I know called gravity.
It is not a virus but you need to get it off your system.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by IUJHJSDHE:
<STRONG>It sounds like an extension I know called gravity.
It is not a virus but you need to get it off your system.</STRONG>
Gravit� should affect only icons - it makes them 'weighted' in a funny way.

Sounds like something in the 'Arrow Down' or 'Page Down' keys is stuck. Try unplugging the keyboard in the middle of scrolling a long document and see if it stops when the USB connection gets cut?

J

mauimac  (op)
Sep 4, 2001, 05:55 AM

Thanks everyone for all the latest help! Update...no viruses, no gravity extension, nothing on the keys...the issue hasn't popped up today but I know it's lurking...
OK, what about a USB extension cord? Would that be a problem? I've connected my keyboard to a Belkin hub via an extension but everything else seems OK through the keyboard...
I don't really have any other connection options, the thing comes with only 2 USB ports!
Thanks again,
Liz

tinrib
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2001, 09:47 AM

This happened to me once - sort of - except the windows were scrolling both up AND down, like I had a poltergeist in the machine. I think I attributed it to Timbuktu playing up at the time (although I wasn't hooked up to any network at the time)... anyway it never came back and was absolutely harmless, even if a little spooky.

superlarry
Senior User
Sep 4, 2001, 10:18 PM

this same thing has happened to me on my crappy PC with win95 and word 97. shared api? thanks a bunch for porting the bugs to my system, microsoft.

Forum Links
Forum Rules