Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Partition formatting?

Partition formatting?
moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2001, 12:56 AM

I thought if you paritioned a drive, then you could format a partition without having to format the whole disk... Drive setup only sees the partitions as one big drive still. Do I have to have another program? Or am I just mistaken?
Thanks,
moofman

CharD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2001, 02:23 AM

Formatting and partitioning are one process done with Drive Setup. Boot using the 9.x Software Install CD, select Drive Setup from the System/Utiltiies folder and set the size of your partitions and HFS or HFS+. I partitioned my Dual 800 with a OS 9, OS 9/FCP, OS X, Data, Applications and Scratch partitions. The lower the partition numbers (1, 2, 3...) the faster disk response. I put OS 9 in partition 1, OS X in partition 2, OS 9/FCP in partition 3, etc.

Formatting/partitioning does hose the disk, so be careful and back up crucial files, etc.

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: CharD ]
G5 Dual, 12" Au PB, Nikon Coolscan IV ED, Epson 1200 scanner, Canon i950 printer; Sony GV-D900, Sony DCR-TRV900, Canon D60, Nikon 990, Canon S400 Yes, too much stuff :cool:

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2001, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by moofman:
<STRONG>I thought if you paritioned a drive, then you could format a partition without having to format the whole disk... Drive setup only sees the partitions as one big drive still. Do I have to have another program? Or am I just mistaken?
Thanks,
moofman</STRONG>
Hi.

I`m very, very far from skilled on this topic, but i just used the "erase disc " in the special menu to wipe out the contents on one of my partions. Worked nicely for me and i have just installed a "fresh" copy of OSX on this partion which seems to work fine too. Have not had any problems with the other untouched partions so far.

Tom

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2001, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by CharD:
<STRONG> The lower the partition numbers (1, 2, 3...) the faster disk response. I put OS 9 in partition 1, OS X in partition 2, OS 9/FCP in partition 3, etc.

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: CharD ]</STRONG>
Hi.

Got a bit curious here
Do you know how noticable this speed differences are in a day to day work situation. I have an older G4 (PCI) and like to pick up all the extra "horsepower" i can get....currently i have four partions, but i guess i could manage with three....or even two. Would i notice any speed gains if reformatting to two partions?

Thanks.
Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules