Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Worth waiting for a MBP?

Worth waiting for a MBP?
Cloud
Jan 30, 2007, 12:41 AM

I am considering on purchasing a MBP soon however do you think it is worth the wait to see what comes out in March? Because that's when I plan on buying one. I could get one now but I know something better will come along and March isn't too far for me to wait.

Is there anything BIG coming out in the next months? Design? Faster processors? Better features? Price changes etc?

Thanks

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 02:09 AM

There's an event rumored for February that will possibly reveal things about Leopard, iWork, and iLife, which might be worth taking a look at.

Ruf993Turbo
Jan 30, 2007, 03:36 AM

IMO, technology is never worth waiting for. If you need something, just get it. There will always be bigger, faster and better things developing.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 02:53 PM

Doesn't sound like you need it immediately so I would wait for the very next revision to include leopard, but that's just me.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2007, 03:01 PM

im waiting for leapord

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2007, 09:24 PM

It seems like there's another thread asking these same questions every other day.

Spring 2007 will bring the Santa Rosa chipset; faster FSB, more memory capacity, and flash memory acceleration.

Fall 2007 will bring the Penryn CPU core; higher clockrates, more cache, lower power, and maybe quads.

jdrumstik
Jan 31, 2007, 12:42 AM

A person once told me this:

"If you want the best possible deal for your money wait until the last second, that is is the second that you can no longer survive without a new computer. That is when you will get the best. And whatever you do, don't buy it on credit if you can help it, who wants to be paying retail plus interest a year later on old technology"

The point is, their is always something better out, and I wouldn't worry about it, we get LED displays soon, but i don't imagine its going to be a mind blowing difference. Other than that their is 10.5 which unless it has some mind blowing feature that is being kept a secret looks totally not worth even $10.

Cloud  (op)
Jan 31, 2007, 01:46 AM

Drumstick just sold me on the paying on credit point. I'm waiting from here on in. Thanks guys. It makes total sense.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2007, 09:31 AM

If one waits for the "next big thing" long enough, one will NEVER buy ANYTHING. It's a crap shoot as to whether anything new will come out in March, and an even bigger one as to whether there will be ANYTHING in February at all.

And it's important to remember the First Rule of Computer Buying: Never look at announcements or ads for at least a month after you make your purchase. Otherwise you get depressed-ask me how I know.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2007, 04:45 PM

There is nothing coming in March.

Intel will slash prices and release its next slate of desktop chips on April 22. Intel is cutting prices by 30% to 40% and introducing the E6320 and E6420 to replace the current E6300/6400 -- the new chips have 4Mb L2 cache instead of 2Mb.

Full details on the new desktop processors and their pricing can be found here.

The biggest changes will be seen in Apple's notebook line. In late April / early May, Intel releases its next-generation mobile platform, otherwise known as Santa Rosa, along with a slate of new mobile processors. The Santa Rosa platform provides for improved performance with a 800MHz memory bus (among other tweaks) and reduced power consumption for improved battery life. The new Core2 Duo mobile processors coming in May include the X7800 (2.6GHz) @ $795, the T7700 (2.40GHz) @ $529, the T7500 (2.20GHz) @ $315, the T7300 (2GHz) @ $241, and the T7100 (1.8GHz) @ $209. All of these processors feature a 4Mb L2 cache and use a 800MHz bus, except for the T7100 which has 2Mb and the older 667Mhz bus.

That's it for new processors until October, when Intel will refresh its Core2 lineup with several faster models. All that's known at this point is that will include the X7900 @ 2.8GHz for notebooks and a new quad-core desktop processor @ 3.0Ghz. Pricing and other frequencies are unknown, but will surely depend on the competitive situation with AMD at the time.

In early 2008 (January), Intel is expected to release its next-generation Core processors for desktops, servers, and notebooks based on the new 45nm "Penryn" design. The "Penryn" design will be used in dual-core processors and quad-core processors with 6Mb and 12Mb L2 cache, respectively, and a 1333MHz bus. In addition to the larger cache and faster bus, "Penryn" includes various tweaks and optimizations, improved 64-bit application performance, enhanced floating point performance, and a significant overhaul of SSE (SSE4). These processors are expected to debut at 3.4 to 4.0Ghz on the desktop in dual-core and quad-core versions.
( Last edited by Ken_F2; Jan 31, 2007 at 05:13 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules