Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme - Portforwarding doesn't work

Airport Extreme - Portforwarding doesn't work
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 24, 2007, 01:48 PM

I have tried to setup a port forward on my Airport Extreme and things don't seem to be working now that I have gone wireless.

Previously I had my desktop connected to the airport with an Ethernet cable. Now I am using my airport card.

I have added the appropriate IP address to forward the port to (i.e. 10.0.1.4), and I have placed the port numbers in the boxes, but things aren't working.

I also have an Airport Express, but it just acts as a remote station, so the port forward box is greyed out.

I am confused because everything worked fine when I was physically connected to my Airport router! Thanks for any advice.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2007, 04:08 PM

Did you check if the forwarding IP's still right? When you switch a machine form a LAN connection to a wireless connection it's most likely the IP will change.

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Aug 24, 2007, 04:19 PM

Yes, I have all the possible IPs forwarding. .2 .3 and .4

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL View Post
Yes, I have all the possible IPs forwarding. .2 .3 and .4
All of them? Maybe that's the problem. You should only set the port to forward to a specific IP once. Otherwise aren't you defeating the purpose of port forwarding, as it won't know which of those addresses to direct incoming traffic to?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by dn15 View Post
All of them? Maybe that's the problem. You should only set the port to forward to a specific IP once. Otherwise aren't you defeating the purpose of port forwarding, as it won't know which of those addresses to direct incoming traffic to?
Exactly.

On the client check the assigned IP. Open AP Utility and forward the port in question to just that IP. Reboot the base station to apply settings. Then check again.

BTW, on the new AP Extreme some ports can't be forwarded. AFAIK 548 (used fo AFP over TCP/IP) and 139 (used for SMB) are such ports. I think that's due to AirDisk.

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Aug 25, 2007, 01:49 PM

Yeah that was the problem, and it makes sense once I thought about it. I have a laptop too and I was thinking I could forward the port to the laptop, but I just need to chose a different port for each computer. It's working now. Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by dn15 View Post

Forum Links
Forum Rules