Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > RAM in 5200/75LC

RAM in 5200/75LC
Keda
Senior User
Dec 23, 1999, 11:33 AM

I am trying to install 2 32MB chips in this 5200. I can only see one after start-up. System profiler told me that I had 32MB in 'J8' (slot). I took the Ram from J8 and put it in J9. After reboot, I could see the RAM in J9, but not J8.

I think I havve a bad RAM. How can I test this?

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 1999, 06:53 PM

I think you already have.

drewman

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Dec 27, 1999, 02:34 PM

Yup! I bought 2 32MBs and tried them 1 at a time. 1 good, 1 bad.

So, I called 1800-4memory and they said that they would exchange the bad RAM. But he said that the refresh rate on my RAM was wrong for my machine. I bought (2) 32MB 60 ns SIMMs w/a 4k refresh rate. According to him, I need a 2 k.

The thing is, he said that the 4k rate would make me see only half of the installed RAM. But when I put in the good 32MB chip...I was 32MB-not 16. Should I return the working and no working and get different RAM?

I'm not sure about what a refresh rate is exactly. Guru says nothing about it and neither do most sites.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 1999, 02:07 PM

MacGurus (www.macgurus.com) reference says you should be using 2k SIMMs.

Maybe with 4K refresh (which indicates how long the memory takes to be renewed) the system thinks that you have 2 16MB SIMMs installed with 2K refresh each.

That wouldn't explain why changing slots makes the Mac think different slots are active other than one of the SIMMS is indeed bad.

Anyway, return these and get the 2k refresh SIMMs that you need. If you are planning on getting a G3 cache slot upgrade for your machine make sure you get 60ns SIMMs as that helps with stability...

drewman

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 12-30-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules