Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What would better Suit me?

What would better Suit me?
123nu2mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 03:21 AM

Hello,
I recently graduated High School and am looking to purchase a macbook or macbook pro in the next month after my graduation party . Anyways, my problem lies in that I enjoy doing photo editing, nothing professional really, I do use a Canon 20D, and will be shooting for the college newspaper in the fall. I dont know weather the difference in the 2Ghz or 2.16 Ghz will really affect me or not when running apps such as photoshop, Dreamweaver & flash. I was thinking of getting the macbook, with a 23" HD monitor, or just getting the macbook pro. What do you think would be better? Is the Ghz really that much of a difference or no? What setup do you think would be more beneficial?

crispin14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 03:44 AM

The MBP comes with an ATI 1600x graphics card that is superior to the MB's Intel 945. If you're just a student and not majoring in something with computers, I'd go with the MacBook. If you're sure you can get more use out of the having the ATI graphics card then definitely get the MBP. Some of the programs you listed have not been released in universal binary yet so running photoshop on an Intel based Mac will feel a bit laggy. Also, I don't think you will be able notice the speed difference, so 2.16 over 2ghz should not play a large factor in your decision.

Also, with a student discount and mail in rebate you can get a free iPod Nano with the purchase of any Mac computer at the apple.com or an Apple Retail Store.

123nu2mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by ael719
The MBP comes with an ATI 1600x graphics card that is superior to the MB's Intel 945. If you're just a student and not majoring in something with computers, I'd go with the MacBook. If you're sure you can get more use out of the having the ATI graphics card then definitely get the MBP. Some of the programs you listed have not been released in universal binary yet so running photoshop on an Intel based Mac will feel a bit laggy. Also, I don't think you will be able notice the speed difference, so 2.16 over 2ghz should not play a large factor in your decision.

Also, with a student discount and mail in rebate you can get a free iPod Nano with the purchase of any Mac computer at the apple.com or an Apple Retail Store.
Thanks for the heads up on the free nano! Will the graphics card have more speed or what? What is the advantage of the ATI 1600x vs. the Intel 945? Im not majoring in computers,currently my major is advertising and promotion and business administration.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2006, 02:24 AM

the dedicated graphics card may be speedier...may not be (i'm not sure); but the graphics card will handle some games better, if that's your thing (or at least that's the impression i've had after reading the threads) because graphics is dedicated on the MBP and shared on the MB.

edit: fixed erroneous comment.
( Last edited by zanyterp; Jun 24, 2006 at 10:22 AM. )
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 03:35 AM

Photoshop does not rely on graphics hardware...

edit: yay! green stars are back!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Photoshop does not rely on graphics hardware...

edit: yay! green stars are back!
sorry.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 10:40 AM

What do you think would be better?
The MacBook. If it turns out to be too slow for you after a year or so, sell it on eBay and get a newer rev.

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2006, 11:01 AM

Photoshop isn't optimized for Intel CPUs yet so its a little slow.

Also unless you need a high resolution screen (possibly) or accelerated graphics (doubtful for photoshop) I'd stick with a MacBook.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006, 11:08 AM

I'd just get the MacBook Pro. If you're using programs like Dreamweaver and Photoshop, the extra power that the Pro gives you will boost your speed. And, while it is true that Photoshop is not optimized for Intel yet, it runs VERY decently on my Mac mini Core Duo. My only reccomendation is to get at least a 1GB of RAM. You'll thank me later.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003
I'd just get the MacBook Pro. If you're using programs like Dreamweaver and Photoshop, the extra power that the Pro gives you will boost your speed. And, while it is true that Photoshop is not optimized for Intel yet, it runs VERY decently on my Mac mini Core Duo. My only reccomendation is to get at least a 1GB of RAM. You'll thank me later.
I would say go with the MacBook...What extra power will the Pro provide? Since he is using programs that don't rely on the GPU, I don't think .16 Ghz (assuming he gets the top-end MBP) will make much difference. I would say save your money and get a maxed out (2 GB RAM, 7200 HDD maybe) on a MB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules