Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 50)
andi*pandi
Apr 9, 2012, 02:58 PM

They seemed not to jump in. Then again, the dog also seemed to avoid lava. What was the problem was their being so eager to go ahead they'd push me near the lava or jump in front of me as I was mining. Lost a cat that way.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2012, 03:53 PM

A little late...

That's a nice Easter basket you've got there, SSSsssssss

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 19, 2012, 09:32 AM

Just to make it available, I now have a working 'automatic wheat farm' out by my Skeleton grinder. It's based on a design readily available on YouTube. Basically, you empty the hot bar, place one seed in spot "1", stand in front, and hold down right-click. It will produce wheat at about 1 a second using bonemeal.

Very efficient, IF one has access to a lot of bonemeal. Oh look over there, a SKEL spawner used as a grinder.... imagine that. With enough seeds and bonemeal, you can make bread a stack at a time. Fresh bread, anyone?

andi*pandi
Apr 19, 2012, 11:25 AM

Sweet! I may have to steal your design.

SargentStudley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2012, 09:57 PM

Also, the dock is operation in Arakeen, which is the village in the desert east of Andi's and west of cyl0pse's homes. It's been expanded quite a bit and is now safe 99% of the time. Come and visit sometime!

andi*pandi
Apr 24, 2012, 03:43 PM

Could someone post the village coordinates? That would be very helpful with my next project, thanks!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2012, 08:33 PM

The center of the rail station is x165 y48 z231 the green line is x176 y48

andi*pandi
Apr 25, 2012, 01:45 PM

thanks!

Anyone else see the Yogscast Kickstarter? It looks very minecrafty, except, pretty.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
thanks!

Anyone else see the Yogscast Kickstarter? It looks very minecrafty, except, pretty.
Yeah, I'm not sure I get what they're making. A pay minecraft mod? A free minecraft mod? A game that borrows a ton from minecraft?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2012, 04:45 PM

Leave them alone theyre tring to make money.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2012, 11:34 PM

Andi

Sarge has a nether gate at x-35 z179 in nether coordinates, that should be close to straight x from you if those over-world coordinates you gave me were right.

andi*pandi
Apr 26, 2012, 12:10 AM

Thanks! I had to buckle down and pay bills tonight, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow! (wait, today?)

SargentStudley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2012, 09:58 AM

Andi, feel free to make a path to my nether gate - it's right in the middle of a fortress.

I haven't been there in a while - are the blazes still a problem?

As of last night, Arakeen's South Station rail tunnel intersected the green line. I don't have any gold to power the rail though, and didn't have enough rail made to connect the lines. I won't disturb the green line until I can make sure it's finished. I will make sure to add an automated stop so that you can pass through AFK if need be.

Even as things are, I took the rail out of Arakeen North Station and traveled through cycl0pse's, stopping at Andi's, The Village, Blaze's, Fatty's, and Split mountain, and back - in about 20 minutes. It's nice to finally have rail connectivity to everyone's home.

Now I just need to find some gold...

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 26, 2012, 10:07 AM

Of all the resources I have laying around... gold is not one of them, sadly. I'm currently working on another mining strip that may produce some ore, but I'm pretty busy with 'real life' stuff at the moment (read: day job).

Next time I'm on, I can show you where I found the sub Y16 abandoned mineshaft, if you want to poke around there. those abandoned shafts tend to have a higher ratio of ore AND it's in the gold range. Apparently an abandoned mine that low is a rarity.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2012, 01:33 PM

Unless you are hell-bent on securing your own materials Studley, I would be more than happy to give you a bunch of gold. Next time you are at Fatty Mountain, feel free to take a stack of gold.

andi*pandi
Apr 29, 2012, 12:09 PM

Found a nether fortress, perhaps part of the main one. Someone has been here, there is gravel scattered randomly. I think I'm about halfway to Sarge's nether portal, but beseiged by blazes. I see torches far off on the other side of a gap in the bridge, so when I get more ammo and armor I'll try filling that back in.

I also found a mineshaft under the jungle, at the gold level. Skeleton spawner might mean I have arrows over here after all.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2012, 05:44 PM

andi*pandi
Apr 29, 2012, 06:17 PM

Why thank you!

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 30, 2012, 10:46 AM

Sarge,
Dropped off some powered rail in the embassy for you.

SargentStudley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2012, 11:53 AM

Thanks, cycl0pse! Using that powered rail, I was able to hook-in and power the Arakeen South Station line. It is automated with a 24-tick delay line in either direction, so if you are traveling on the green line you will stop and then automatically start again allowing AFK travel. I'll automate the Spawn-Arakeen-North-Station line when I get a chance to.

Having had surgery on Friday, I'm on some pretty intense pain control right now. If anyone is ever on heavy pain killers, I do not recommend working with redstone. It doesn't work out well!

cycl0pse
Senior User
May 1, 2012, 04:43 PM

(mumbling to self) ... Note to self... when using water to make a soft landing, make sure it can't freeze... (mumble mumble)

Today's "don't be a moron" safety tip of the day.

Man, that hurt. Then I had to do the 'walk of shame' ... insult to injury.

(walk of shame: heading back to where you died stupidly so you can collect your inventory)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 1, 2012, 07:50 PM

Sorry but that's hilarious.

cycl0pse
Senior User
May 2, 2012, 09:36 AM

No apologies necessary, it was humorous... one may even say funny (in a 3 Stooges kind of way). Doesn't mean it wasn't, shall we say... irritating? somewhat embarrassing? the living embodiment of 'pun damage'?

But as much as I enjoy providing amusing stories, I hope the next one doesn't involve a 50m drop followed by a 3-4km rail ride back to the scene of the 'crime'. (bed was at spawn: incident happened 1km south of my place)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 2, 2012, 10:04 AM

Also it's better to use signs than ladders to hold up the water in a water break since signs don't have collision boxes. I've hit the one in your skeleton grinder a couple of times.

cycl0pse
Senior User
May 2, 2012, 10:58 AM

hmmm... so that's the benefit to using more resource. I keep forgetting they re-added the collision box for ladders in 1.2

Need to fix the one at the SKEL grinder when on next.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 2, 2012, 01:40 PM

Awesome prank idea someone posted on minecraftforum.net
If they have an iron door hooked up to a button (not right next to the door) with some wire underground, then hook a pulse limiter up to it. This will shorten the time the door will stay open and frustrate them as they try to figure out why the door doesn't stay open long enough for them to enter or leave their house, and they might even think it's because of lag at first.
Unfortunately Andi is the only one who doesn't put the button right next to the door.

andi*pandi
May 7, 2012, 01:06 PM

Haha! To do that you'd have to work around my doorbell.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 15, 2012, 01:17 PM

So i figured out how to the wiring for the next step at the spawn. Once I compact it and install it there's one other change required before it can go official. I'll follow up with pics tonight.

I started using a shift register and d flip flops, turned out a string of latches with the resets cascading turned on only in sequence like i wanted. Then I used two sets of edge detectors instead of individual xor gates for error detection. The rest of the wiring isn't going going to be nearly as clean due to the layout.

andi*pandi
May 15, 2012, 01:19 PM

Sounds intriguing.

I've been playing around in creative and now have something to build ingame. Just have to find the perfect spot. And spend some time farming Jawbone's colorful sheep.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 15, 2012, 01:28 PM

There's a bunch of colored wool in my basement in the village your welcome too. Last time I was in jawbones sheep pen an enderman came to play tag.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; May 15, 2012 at 02:32 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 15, 2012, 11:21 PM

Here's an array of 5 of the cells.

Here's 4 doubled up so I can fit 10 in a reasonable space (13 wide not counting input). These are top down instead of left to right.

The grey pieces are pulse limiters, the upper ones have buttons on the top top blocks that drive the latches in green. The latches in turn drive the pulse limiters on the bottom. The yellow is the reset / control line that forces the latches to set in sequence. The repeaters between the latches are barely visible. The top pulse limiters mux onto the blue and the bottom onto the purple. You have to start with the button closest to the button on the yellow reset line and continue counter clockwise. Whats missing is the in second set, but visible in the first, is the XOR of the pink and blue to drive the yellow so any incorrect button resets the whole thing.

Of course I'd never make anything so simple as counter clockwise.

cycl0pse
Senior User
May 16, 2012, 11:27 AM

Makes my attempt look like someone spilled tinker-toys all over the room...

Then ran them over with a lawn-mower

Although I did make a 'delay stop' for a rail line using a piston BUD, a piston Latch, and some detector rails. You can see it at my 'south' rail stop (near the floating castle-in-progress)

Blaze, I'll have my tower working by EOD Sunday. Birthday party for my daughter Saturday.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 16, 2012, 12:05 PM

Some of the piston circuits are quite allot smaller than the non-piston equivalent. Especially the t flip flops. But theyre noisy and I'm not trying to build something that will fill all the loaded chunks. I'll have to check your stop out and see what you used the BUD for. Saw someone use a bud switch in a timer so he could use falling lava as his delay because it flows so slow.

cycl0pse
Senior User
May 16, 2012, 12:40 PM

In this case, I tried the circuit with a redstone latch instead of the piston, but getting all the wiring in for the reset was ... convoluted. Switched to the piston and wiring simplified.

Basically, it's an auto-reset delay for the rail. I've seen Sarge's repeater-based one and decided to try using water as the delay. (considered lava, but, well, you know, lava is scary to most people). You hit the detector rail and a piston moves to let water flow down a trench. When it hits the BUD, the powered rail triggers and it resets the latch, causing the water to stop flowing. Delay is currently about 5 seconds, but if I trench the water differently I can get the delay up to 10-15 seconds. That's a lot of repeaters.

the downside? The powered rail STAYS powered for the same delay. So if it's a 5 second wait, the rail stays powered 5 seconds. Not a big deal, unless someone is following you.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 16, 2012, 12:47 PM

My designes have the same issue with staying on. But if your using water for the delay the only want around it is to wait for the bud to fire twice (when the water evaporates) and then it doesn't keep powering after you leave.

cycl0pse
Senior User
May 16, 2012, 12:47 PM

As an aside, I put the long redstone circuit idea on the back burner. It consumed alot of resources, was tricky to time, and was inconsistent with server lag. All in all, not worth it.

Did read a neat idea though. Some folks have 'momentum accumulators' at the start of the run. A small rail loop with a powered rail and a switch. You build a timer circuit to let you run the loop building acceleration. Because of how the momentum dynamics work, once you hit max acceleration, it 'stores' leftover momentum. Once you have the desired amount, the rail switch lets the cart exit on the line. You then let the car run until momentum runs out, no powered rail needed. If you time it right, you can have the cart stop right where you want it. Have multiple stops? Have multiple timer circuits.

Playing with it in Single player. Find the concept interesting.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 16, 2012, 01:46 PM

Yeah i saw that. The good thing about it is you can send 2 or 3 of them ahead and then have the traveler in a cart following them keeping the chunks loaded. The problem will be decoding the cart before the traveler passes by. Or you stop at the station till it decodes. The other issue with this is the carts you sending will need mobs in them or your stuck with rail every 16. And you need to shuffle carts around to keep enough around.

Simple decoder idea, carts go up a hill and then on their way down they get diverted to the side so you can tell how far up they go.

Though I found the death cart encoding more amusing. We're they use the fall damage stored in a cart to change how long it takes to kill a mob.

SargentStudley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2012, 10:09 PM

I'm eager to see the spawn when it's done. I'll be a beta tester if you need one!

I've been playing in creative as well, trying to build a "lava reactor". Basically, TNT, wool, and lava in the shape of a reactor, with water taking up all the available air spaces. However - the water can be taken away via pump failure, which results in a meltdown. Meltdown the wrong way, and BOOM!

I want to make sure it's stable while water is being supplied before I install it. All I have to say is thank goodness there is no damage/life in creative!

andi*pandi
May 17, 2012, 04:49 PM

So I've just googled BUD switch, interesting ideas there.

I'm pretty curious as to what you've got cooking, that's for sure!

Also, did you see that the map is now opensource?
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...w-open-source/
( Last edited by andi*pandi; May 17, 2012 at 05:10 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 17, 2012, 05:29 PM

Yeah I saw he open sourced the map engine. Importunately the GUI tool I was (Minetographer) using hasn't updated to use it. And I haven't gotten around to switching to a command line only setup.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; May 17, 2012 at 05:43 PM. )

cycl0pse
Senior User
May 22, 2012, 09:00 AM

OK, just a bit behind schedule but my tower logic is done. Have to pretty it up some and do fit and finish, but it's working.

andi*pandi
May 22, 2012, 09:38 AM

Excellent! Curious to see it!

Blaze, I broke the floor lighting trying to fix it, so I rebuilt in creative to get the hang of it. The upward circuit was causing problems so I moved it. It's nice to isolate things like that. Spelunked for a bit to get more redstone and found a mineshaft in midair through a ravine. Tonite I'll finish fixing the floor up.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 22, 2012, 08:54 PM

I had to fiddle with that was there because the torch was powering the lamps directly or the repeater was powering the block over the wire creating an infinite loop.

The work at the spawn is probably half way complete. It's basically ready for visitors. Except for the service shack. The only gotcha is, it's for getting back from the spawn after you die without a bed. Its also supposed to be a challenge but that's impossible in a sandbox game like this so it's on the honor system.

Note: It uses a nether gate offset trick for a shortcut so ask before building any gates within 1KM of the spawn.
Note: Cycl0pse the last button triggers the door. I looks like theres an extra redstone on an and gate?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2012, 12:53 PM

Interesting, gonna log on when I get home today and check out the world.

Besides the spawn castle, any new stuff I should add to my itinerary?

Also, how would one get to this spawn castle without dying without a bed?

cycl0pse
Senior User
May 23, 2012, 01:11 PM

Sek,
Boat works. There is a rail line run there as well, but the rail line is meant to be a return line so the 'entrance' is a bit hidden. Rail access can be had from a stop at Sarge's island, my SKEL spawner, or several points in between. I do believe there is even a hookup to one of the village lines. Not sure if it's red, green, blue, etc...

Blaze, the trigger buttons are working as planned now (as you already know. This is really for everyone else.) Still waiting to 'tune' it

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 23, 2012, 01:13 PM

I extended the blue line to the dome. The tunnel on the ocean floor is quite impressive. Cycl0pse has started a castle in the sky.
I'm working on getting the map to render. The newest version takes forever, that may be because of the size maybe something else.

None of the ways we've been using to build it are set up for going too the spawn. Simplest way would be taking the green line past Andi and on to Sargents then boating to the spawn. You can short cut that by taking the rail above my nether base half way then walking to Sargents nether portal.

There are scales posted to the wiki. Its easy to tell when they note blocks roll over.

cycl0pse
Senior User
May 23, 2012, 04:38 PM

@ Blaze:
Got that. The issue is the given scale the blocks do is outside the range of the notes I want to play, so the notes need transcribed to fit the range. Need someone with better skills to help... oh look at that, my wife plays a violin

Or i change the tune. Rather not do that.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 24, 2012, 08:39 AM

The map rendered finally. The new version is really slow. Though the map isn't small anymore. It's copying now it will take a while. 28GB is allot of image files. I may need to tune the settings more next time.

cycl0pse
Senior User
May 24, 2012, 10:16 AM

Map looks pretty good. Haven't noticed any lag increase browsing to it.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 24, 2012, 10:27 AM

If you click on the spawn marker it show it took 7 hours to render.

Forum Links
Forum Rules