Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" g3 backlight expensive to fix?

12" g3 backlight expensive to fix?
bergerac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 12:37 AM

Hi

I might be able to get a 12" G3 500mhz ibook cheap but the only catch is the backlight on the LCD seems to have failed. Does anyone know if this is trick or expensive to repair. I dont know if this is worth getting now and using with an external monitor untill I can get it fixed or if i should save up a bit more a get a good one for twice the price.. Im in Australia if that makes any difference..

Cheers
Luke

galarneau
Senior User
Jul 15, 2004, 04:46 PM

I know that the actual backlight bulbs in lcd panels are replaceable, but having the skill to do it may be beyond that of the average user.

You could try to get a replacement LCD panel. They only run $100-200, though they may be more in Australia.

In my opinion, the iBook would have to be dirt cheap to consider futzing with replacing the LCD.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 10:50 PM

It's also possible the inverter has gone out. On the white iBooks, this is in the display assembly right above the hinge.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 11:02 PM

9 times out of 10 it's the inverter. Get one on eBay or do a Google for one. Cheap and trivial to install. Use a tester to check the voltage going in and out of it (careful, high voltage coming out!) to see if it's the inverter or the backlight.

bergerac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 12:16 AM

Thanks guys, I was planning to send it into Apple to get repaired originally. Though I could probaly repair it myself I might give it a miss since its not really cheap enough and I might end up with a dud ibook thats going to cost more than its worth to repair.

Cheers
Luke

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 06:00 AM

Call Apple. It's probably covered by the logic board repair program.

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

bergerac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 06:09 AM

Yeah thats what I originaly thought, but after talking to the guy it doesnt seem so. There still is an image on the screen(just cant see it coz the screen is dark) and the ibook still works fine on an external monitor. From what i understand the issue with the logic board causes the same symtoms on both dispalys and usually involves a scrambled image or no image at all. If I end up getting it I will probaly still try that as long as Apple arent going to charge me anything to look at it

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2004, 08:06 AM

bergerac: Are you sure about your diagnosis that it is the actual backlight that is dead? From my experience, it is much more likely to be the backlight cable, which often gets pinched/cut in the hinge. It's a widely know design defect that Apple has refused to acknowledge. See the following thread on the Apple Discussion boards:

http://discusssearch.info.apple.com/[email protected]

The thread details how to replace the "Reed Switch" assembly, which includes the backlight cable. You can apparently buy the part relatively inexpensively from Small Dog, although I don't know whether they would ship to Australia. Even if you have to pay a fortune for shipping, it will still be cheaper than paying Apple for the repair. (I paid US$300 for the repair, a few months out of warranty, because I didn't know you could fix it yourself.) The thread also links to more recent threads.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

bergerac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by escher:
\
The thread details how to replace the "Reed Switch" assembly, which includes the backlight cable. You can apparently buy the part relatively inexpensively from Small Dog, although I don't know whether they would ship to Australia. Even if you have to pay a fortune for shipping, it will still be cheaper than paying Apple for the repair. (I paid US$300 for the repair, a few months out of warranty, because I didn't know you could fix it yourself.) The thread also links to more recent threads.

Escher [/B]
Yeah, it was probaly the inverter or cable as people in this thread have mentioned. Its been sold now though so I missed out anyway. Thanks for your help everyone

Cheers
Luke

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by bergerac:
Yeah thats what I originaly thought, but after talking to the guy it doesnt seem so. There still is an image on the screen(just cant see it coz the screen is dark) and the ibook still works fine on an external monitor. From what i understand the issue with the logic board causes the same symtoms on both dispalys and usually involves a scrambled image or no image at all. If I end up getting it I will probaly still try that as long as Apple arent going to charge me anything to look at it
If there is still an image on the screen, it's *definitely* not covered by the repair extension program because this means the *logic board* is still sending the correct data to the display and it is being properly interpreted. Your options are backlight or inverter. Technically, the reed switch board is what connects the inverter to the logic board, but it's not likely. If the bezel brace (display frame) is broken, your inverter very well could have been twisted to disfunctionality.

If there is a big gap between the LCD and the plastic around the LCD at the bottom of the display when you open it, your frame is broken.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules