Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Just bought a Dell display...

Just bought a Dell display...
gudrummer
Aug 10, 2005, 03:06 PM

.....hope it comes ok.Bought on Ebay,brand new.I'll write a review as soon as i receive it;i's a 2405fpw.
Wish me luck...
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 03:22 PM

Thoughts: I set up a lot of Dell equipment in my job as a system administrator and as much
as I'm not impressed by the majority of the hardware, the displays are another story. They
are a good value for the money and are generally crisp and readable.

Another friend of mine who has a dual 2.7 also bought a Dell 19" flat panel and has been
pretty pleased with it.

gudrummer  (op)
Aug 10, 2005, 04:17 PM

Hope mine comes OK.I've read so many reviews that i decided to take the risk.Apples' one(23') still has way too many bad reports and a price that's beyond what i have.I would love to have one,but just the looks to match my G5 isn't a very good point for me to buy one.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by gudrummer
.....hope it comes ok.Bought on Ebay,brand new.I'll write a review as soon as i receive it;i's a 2405fpw.
Wish me luck...
I have been using a Dell 2405FPW with my PB17 for about a week now and loving every minute of it.

Dell 24" in action

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 11:13 PM

I have the 20" widescreen and I love it. Great product from an otherwise average company.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by wtmcgee
I have the 20" widescreen and I love it. Great product from an otherwise average company.
I bought the same one for $440 shipping included. A steal in my opinion.

gudrummer  (op)
Aug 11, 2005, 11:22 PM

I'm waiting 'til next week to see it,still going thru Paypal payment process.I'm really excited about the purchase,i was looking for a new screen since i bought the computer and,for my own surprise,decided to buy the Dell one.More inputs and the card reader and far less complaints about the quality of the screen made my decision easier than i thought.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by gudrummer
I'm waiting 'til next week to see it,still going thru Paypal payment process.I'm really excited about the purchase,i was looking for a new screen since i bought the computer and,for my own surprise,decided to buy the Dell one.More inputs and the card reader and far less complaints about the quality of the screen made my decision easier than i thought.
And you spend so damn much on a Mac, its nice to be able to save a little cash on at least one area of the purchase. Besides, somehow the white apple keyboard and the black Dell monitor don't look so bad together (but I use a black Microsoft Desktop Elite). I appear all PC until you look under the desk!

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 02:28 PM

Just bought a Dell 1905FP myself ($311 shipped). Very nice. Very very nice.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

gudrummer  (op)
Aug 12, 2005, 02:36 PM

You're right about the savings,Elvis2000.I would honestly love to buy an Apple display,i was at the store almost buying a 20' but the price of the Dell just made me think real hard about it.I just hope mine doesn't come with any problems...my old screen is dying real fast..hehehe...
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2005, 02:45 PM

I am very pleased with my Apple 23" Display. Yes it was more money. But I wanted it to match my system. And since we now have a local Apple Store, if something goes wrong, it easier to bring in then to mail back to say Dell.

I have two Dell 18" flat panels on my other box (Windows XP). They look good, but not as good as my Apple display. They are, however, two years old.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

gudrummer  (op)
Aug 12, 2005, 07:03 PM

jhogarty, i agree with the return easiness of returning,it was one of my main concerns,but i'll have to deal with that.Congratulations on your buying,the 23' was my dream for many years.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

gudrummer  (op)
Aug 16, 2005, 10:23 PM

Hey!!!!Just got it!!!!This thing is HUGE!!!!!!I never expected it to be like this.....man i'm loving it!!!!!It seems that it doesn't have any dead pixels,i need to check that.Bleeding i'll check later tonight,seems that it does have a bit,normal stuff.It's been on for 10 minutes,let's see if it doesn't start to hum as well.So far i'm loving it!
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

serranot
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2005, 05:51 AM

I just bought a 2405FPW from Dell for $803 shipped. So far so good. The thing is huge and it seems to work well.

Regards,
Tom
T-bob

gudrummer  (op)
Aug 17, 2005, 11:36 AM

Man,i am loving mine!!!!It really exceeded all my expectations.I'm leaving it on so i can really test this week but so far it's perfect.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 11:44 AM

For what it's worth, I bought a 19" widescreen Dell LCD a few months ago and I love it. It works very well with my 1.25 GHz Aluminum.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 01:00 PM

I ended up buying a Princeton 19" LCD flat panel from the local Costco. It has both
DVI and VGA inputs (with a selector switch so you can run two computers off of it if
you want to and that thing was originally around $570 in April, I ended up getting it
for around $275 not including tax. No dead pixels, huge, bright, clearly readable
and crisp and rich graphics quality. I was very surprised.

The unwanted side effect of having a big flat panel: everyone I visit has these really
small monitors it seems. How do they live?

I'd like to get an even bigger one for the Mac and use this on the Linux/PC computer
now.

osxisfun
Aug 17, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by serranot
I just bought a 2405FPW from Dell for $803 shipped. So far so good. The thing is huge and it seems to work well.

Regards,
Tom

was there a recent coupon i missed (like in the last 2 weeks)?

thanks

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2005, 03:03 PM

Pricing in the Netherlands for these has just been lowered to €839 (ex VAT & S+H) I just saw on the Dell site... That makes then just a little more expensive than an Apple 20" ACD
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by mousehouse
Pricing in the Netherlands for these has just been lowered to €839 (ex VAT & S+H) I just saw on the Dell site... That makes then just a little more expensive than an Apple 20" ACD
Anyone with one of the new Dell displays want to explain how the PIP works and how well it works? I have a 2405W on the way and was just curious.
MBP 1.83

G5man
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2005, 04:09 PM

well I got a 1703fp running off my mac mini wish I got the 1704fp new but oh well this one works and as long as I dont have white space you cant recognize a scratch (there is one 1 inch one)
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 17, 2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
was there a recent coupon i missed (like in the last 2 weeks)?

thanks
There was one 2 weeks ago that brought it down to $770ish. I was gonna get one, but realized it would arrive while I am out of town. I'll get it the next round of coupons.

tooki

osxisfun
Aug 17, 2005, 05:08 PM

thks.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 09:55 PM

I'm still loving my 2005FPW. Wish I could say the same for my PowerMac.

I would say that in about 3 months I will upgrade to the 2405FPW. Not that I am cramped with the 20" at all. I will throw my current display into PC duty.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mousehouse
Same here in Italy, the Dell's are much more expensive than in the USA and cost the same or more than the equivalent Apple screens.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

gudrummer  (op)
Aug 18, 2005, 02:24 PM

All i can say so far is:great price,great quality,running perfect.Checked it with an Xbox and this is my new game tv for sure.I'm glad i decided for Dell instead of the Apple this time.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

gudrummer  (op)
Aug 18, 2005, 06:46 PM

Funny thing is,on system profiler it's identified as a CRT monitor.....odd...
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Pither
Same here in Italy, the Dell's are much more expensive than in the USA and cost the same or more than the equivalent Apple screens.
Same in Hong Kong, the Dell's price is slightly less than the ACD, not the huge saving like in the US.

osxisfun
Aug 22, 2005, 12:02 PM

I want coupons!

laslane007
Aug 22, 2005, 02:52 PM

Ya, Dell makes a very comparable monitor. And as much as I hate to admit it, the black frame doesn't look "horrible". I'm running 2 Dell 20-inch 2005fpw monitors and they rock. A bit of backlight bleeding, but still equally good quality when compared to Apple 20 inch at double the price. The only sacrifice is aluminum styling and the logo on the front. Oh well...The money I've saved is going towards my additional hard drives!

osxisfun
Aug 22, 2005, 03:08 PM

i smell a black market 4 alu frames.

gudrummer  (op)
Aug 22, 2005, 06:44 PM

Honestly,i like the frame.It's not as good as Apple ones,but it's the last thing that i would consider right now.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

laslane007
Aug 22, 2005, 10:56 PM

Exactly. Contrary to some people, I look at the monitor, not the frame. And how many people do I have over to look at my computer setup? Or who would be interested anyways?

JasonBourne
Aug 28, 2005, 05:19 PM

Just came back from apple store and found a refurbished 23 inch aluminum cinema display only for $999.00. One of the apple sales rep. wished he found it earlier and they too can't believed the price dropped. Just wondering if few weeks from now they will lower the pricing of cinema display.
Apple website the refurbished cost $1300.00.

Forum Links
Forum Rules