Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook switch

Macbook switch
Spartan452
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2006, 10:54 PM

I'm a PC user, and i'm thinking of getting the Macbook 2.0ghz C2D, can you guys tell me about the problems, and the issues and noise levels about it. Also is it hard to make the switch?

muaddib420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 01:30 AM

problems of the "earlier" macbooks: discoloration, random shutdowns, CPU whine, fan mooing. these have mostly been solved, so you'd mostly avoid these if you get one of the newer core 2 duo macbooks.

some lingering problems: wireless airport drops, wake/sleep bugginess.

overall, i made the switch and never looked back! it took me about a month to get completely comfortable with OSX, finding mac programs to do stuff i was used to doing in windows. but since then, i've uninstalled windows XP on my macbook and now i just love OSX. make the switch, you won't regret it. good luck!

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 02:00 AM

I hear the wireless drops should be done with as of the latest Airport update, thought your mileage may vary. And wake/sleep problems aren't universal.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2006, 05:08 AM

I have no problems at all with mine. Can't say I've experienced any Airport drops. However, the sleep/wake is very buggy sometimes if you use an external. It's an amazing laptop though. HIGHLY recommended
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Spartan452  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 12:30 PM

I hear people talk about the rough edges, are they THAT rough, and now hot does it get?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2006, 07:04 PM

Random Shutdown Syndrome... google it

panzer07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 07:28 PM

I bought a refurb MB white 2.0, upgraded the ram to 2GB and disk to 160gb and have run it for most of the last 4 weeks, 10-12 hours a day, using Windows (bootcamp) and OS X. It works great. I moved ofc from my older PB and added Visio and Project to bootcamp's XP partition and haven't looked back. You will need to buy the little $19 vga adapter to use it for presentations.

And, of course, games are mostly only playable at low graphics settings.

All in all a very worthwhile investment. Switched 4 years ago. Never looked back for my main home systems PB Titanium and then PB Alum 15 and now MB.

Still lusting after the MacPro this coming summer!!

rlinhares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2006, 12:25 AM

I switched about two years ago. I never will choose windows again. I took me about a month to fell comfortable on OS X too. Some (basic simple) things were very annoying until you figure it out.

But the comfort of use and the assurance that it won´t die on you is great.
2-iphone.com

duoart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2007, 06:22 PM

One of my first computers was a Mac SE (circa 1987) I turned to the Dark Side a couple years later. I'm back after having a Sony and a Toshiba laptop die horrible deaths due to power connector issues, overheating etc.

I have a core 2 unit with 1GB and superdrive. I'll never buy another Windows PC. Magsafe is a godsend! most laptops eventually have problems with the power connector since they are attached directly to the mother board and the solder joints break. MagSafe is what brought me back to Macintosh, but my love of UNIX was another big factor.

So far, my MacBook runs cooler and quieter than any laptop I've ever owned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules