Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What Ronald Reagan really thought of George

What Ronald Reagan really thought of George
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2007, 01:51 PM

W. Bush. He's probably still turning over in his grave.

Reagan Diaries: George W: "Find the Kid a Job"...

Direct quote from the just published REAGAN DIARIES.

The entry is dated May 17, 1986.

'A moment I've been dreading. George brought his ne're-do-well son around this morning and asked me to find the kid a job. Not the political one who lives in Florida. The one who hangs around here all the time looking shiftless. This so-called kid is already almost 40 and has never had a real job. Maybe I'll call Kinsley over at The New Republic and see if they'll hire him as a contributing editor or something. That looks like easy work.'
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2007, 02:11 PM

Man, I miss Reagan.

The last truly great leader this country has had.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Man, I miss Reagan.

The last truly great leader this country has had.
Thanks so much for the laugh!

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2007, 03:55 PM

How did he ever get into politics? I guess his dad got him the job...
My Blog-pakos.me

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 11:29 PM

It's a joke - it's made up.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2007, 11:51 PM

Another entry:

October 6, 1987. Why does Kinsley keep picking on me? He is the only thing standing between me and the total destruction of the welfare state. But, ha: I will destroy him--destroy him utterly-- or my name's not … not … not … . Say, they had 'State Fair' on TV last night. What a wholesome, clean-cut young man that Pat Boone is.

hehe

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2007, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
It's a joke - it's made up.
GWB's job?

(couldn't resist)

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2007, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Thanks so much for the laugh!
Actually, I should be thanking you, Mr. Gullible!

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 21, 2007, 08:00 AM

pwwnt

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Actually, I should be thanking you, Mr. Gullible!
Anytime I can help you and others here feel superior about yourselves, I'm glad to oblige. Make sure you make a big deal out of it, if it helps you. Somehow or other, I'm sure it won't be the last mistake I made, but as long as you don't make any, everything's cool.

deomacius
Senior User
Aug 21, 2007, 07:18 PM

You reap what you sow.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2007, 09:02 PM

Best Reagan quote:

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15."
-October 10, 1984

And he WAS a great leader. Just because you are part of the 30% that wasn't included in his 70% approval ratings and didn't happen to like where he led (lower taxes, limited federal gov, etc) doesn't mean he wasn't.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2007, 11:17 PM

You really need to learn what really happened during Raygun's watch. He presided over one of the largest tax increases in history, and government actually expanded. He's no different than George, who ran as a compassionate conservative and has been spending our money like a drunken sailor, and has allowed the size of the government to literally explode.

"Reagan's Liberal Legacy" by Joshua Green

It's conservative lore that Reagan the icon cut taxes, while George H.W. Bush the renegade raised them. As Stockman recalls, "No one was authorized to talk about tax increases on Ronald Reagan's watch, no matter what kind of tax, no matter how justified it was." Yet raising taxes is exactly what Reagan did. He did not always instigate those hikes or agree to them willingly--but he signed off on them. One year after his massive tax cut, Reagan agreed to a tax increase to reduce the deficit that restored fully one-third of the previous year's reduction. (In a bizarre bit of self-deception, Reagan, who never came to terms with this episode of ideological apostasy, persuaded himself that the three-year, $100 billion tax hike--the largest since World War II--was actually "tax reform" that closed loopholes in his earlier cut and therefore didn't count as raising taxes.)

Faced with looming deficits, Reagan raised taxes again in 1983 with a gasoline tax and once more in 1984, this time by $50 billion over three years, mainly through closing tax loopholes for business. Despite the fact that such increases were anathema to conservatives--and probably cost Reagan's successor, George H.W. Bush, reelection--Reagan raised taxes a grand total of four times just between 1982-84.

This record flummoxes the best efforts of today's Reagan hagiographers to explain away. Peter Wallison, for instance, after proclaiming that Reagan "stayed the course against changes in his economic plan," later dismisses the president's tax increases as "a modest rollback" that "seems to have been the result" of his accepting a Democratic promise to cut spending by twice that amount. (Whatever happened to "Trust, but verify"?)

Reagan continued these "modest rollbacks" in his second term. The historic Tax Reform Act of 1986, though it achieved the supply side goal of lowering individual income tax rates, was a startlingly progressive reform. The plan imposed the largest corporate tax increase in history--an act utterly unimaginable for any conservative to support today. Just two years after declaring, "there is no justification" for taxing corporate income, Reagan raised corporate taxes by $120 billion over five years and closed corporate tax loopholes worth about $300 billion over that same period. In addition to broadening the tax base, the plan increased standard deductions and personal exemptions to the point that no family with an income below the poverty line would have to pay federal income tax. Even at the time, conservatives within Reagan's administration were aghast. According to Wall Street Journal reporters Jeffrey Birnbaum and Alan Murray, whose book Showdown at Gucci Gulch chronicles the 1986 measure, "the conservative president's support for an effort once considered the bastion of liberals carried tremendous symbolic significance." When Reagan's conservative acting chief economic adviser, William Niskanen, was apprised of the plan he replied, "Walter Mondale would have been proud."

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2007, 12:28 AM

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2007, 12:50 AM

George In no Barry Goldwater, but I'd rather have him than Algore any day.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater
( Last edited by Chongo; Aug 22, 2007 at 08:10 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 22, 2007, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by greenG4 View Post
Best Reagan quote:

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15."
-October 10, 1984

And he WAS a great leader. Just because you are part of the 30% that wasn't included in his 70% approval ratings and didn't happen to like where he led (lower taxes, limited federal gov, Iron Wall coming down, wining the cold war... etc) doesn't mean he wasn't.
I had to add some to that.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I had to add some to that.
Thanks, Kevin.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules