Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod with Radio

iPod with Radio
goldfilm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2007, 11:57 AM

When is Apple going to put an FM radio in the iPods? Microsoft, Creative, Sandisk already did it! In other words, let's say that the iPods are the only MP3 players in the market without radio.

Why?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2007, 12:47 PM

I'm guessing never.

If they haven't done it by now they'll probably never do it.

Why, I'm not sure but the fact that they sell music may have something to do with it. While it would be a nice addition, its not a huge deal to me.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2007, 01:09 PM

The Apple Store (U.S.) - iPod Radio Remote

Not compatible with iPhone/Touch though.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2007, 01:23 PM

I bought the iPod because radio was so bad I didn't want to hear all the commercials. I want to listn to my music I like when I want not when the radio station wants. The Zune with radio is a desperate play to get people from the iPod.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

goldfilm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2007, 01:28 PM

What about having access to radio/music channels like in iTunes? Of course with iTouch/iPhone with WiFi.

I still believe having radio is a must.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2007, 01:30 PM

I have an iPod because I don't want to listen to the radio. I want my music when I feel like listening to it. If you need radio badly enough there are a lot of small am/fm radios that you can buy, or you can use the Apple radio attachment.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by goldfilm View Post
When is Apple going to put an FM radio in the iPods? Microsoft, Creative, Sandisk already did it! In other words, let's say that the iPods are the only MP3 players in the market without radio.

Why?
Plus...iPod is the best ever selling digital music device ever. Maybe they know what they are doing. Aslo all of your posts here and other threads trah iPods, iPod Touch etc... you wouldn't happen to be a troll would you?

donutogre
Oct 3, 2007, 04:24 PM

i honestly can't think of a feature i could care about less than FM radio. it is a horrible wasteland of terrible, terrible music. i could rattle of a list of 100 things that apple could do to make the ipod more compelling easily. and i'm not that much of a geek, i just really hate the radio.
~nate

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 3, 2007, 04:26 PM

I bought an iPod because I didn't want to listen to the radio. Why would I want an FM tuner in my iPod?
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2007, 04:28 PM

What about having access to radio/music channels like in iTunes? Of course with iTouch/iPhone with WiFi.

I still believe having radio is a must.
Enough other people do that Apple is offering it as an accessory, as noted above.

Many, many MORE people buy their iPods precisely because they DON'T want radio.

I'd be really pissed off if my next iPod had extra bulk, weight, cost, and menu clutter because of a built-in radio I neither want nor need.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2007, 04:44 PM

If anything, Apple would go the Satellite Radio route (not counting streaming radio over Wifi). AM/FM is ancient technology these days. Its full of crap and commercials. Apple would have to work out a deal, and it would drive the cost of iPods up a bit I'm assuming.

Anyway, I really don't think there's that much of a demand for it. Those who really really want it can buy a small add-on (or a Zune).

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
If anything, Apple would go the Satellite Radio route (not counting streaming radio over Wifi). AM/FM is ancient technology these days. Its full of crap and commercials. Apple would have to work out a deal, and it would drive the cost of iPods up a bit I'm assuming.
I would pay a little extra for satellite radio on my iPod. Terrestrial ad based radio is garbage, sat. radio is here now and only will get better...I can only imagine Howard Stern on my iPod!! Ahhh how sweet that would be!!

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 3, 2007, 08:53 PM

If you have 8 GBS (or 16, 80, or even 160 GBs) of music that YOU want to listen to, when would you find the time to tune in to FM radio?

I have an 8 GB iPod nano, that's about 96 hours of music that I have loaded.... Assuming I listen to an average of 4 hours a day, it'll take me a long time to get through all that music.

A lot of radio programs are also available as podcasts. I have podcasts from Time, CNN, various topic-focused sites (such as Macs, music, iPods, etc.) that I grab via iTunes.

My deck is fully loaded.... Radio not required.

The only good thing for FM radio is to report traffic congestion which is pretty much S.N.A.F.U. (Situation Normal: All Fouled Up) or any road blocks such as traffic accidents.

Otherwise, i agree with the consensus. No more radio for me. A cheap handheld AM/FM radio can be bought for dirt cheap. Adding it to the iPod definitely doesn't make sense.

I have friends with mp3 players that have FM Radio. They like to boast that they have this capability but they sheepishly admit that they never used it. They just want to have it just for the heck of it.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2007, 10:08 PM

I wouldn't mind getting NPR on my way in to work in the mornings. NPR doesn't post their morning news hour as a podcast, which is unfortunate. But other than that, I wouldn't want a radio in my iPod.

goldfilm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2007, 12:21 AM

I can't believe that some persons (like stevesnj) get upset if somebody talk against Apple. I'm a big Apple fan and I used to be part of the Windows world which I hated. Luckily I migrated three years ago, I can't wait one more day for Leopard, I bought my first iPod three years ago, and I keep on updating form 30 to 80gb, then the Nano... etc.

Now for first time I'm upset with the new strategy. I'm not sure if probably I'm frustrated that iPhone works only with AT&T or what, but I was talking with an Apple employee and they are also disappointed with the iTouch limitations... And if you see the iTouch discussions is incredible how many persons ask for more features...

...and about the radio, if you know you don't add extra weight or space for songs, I'm sure you would like to have it, even if you only use it once in a while. NPR is one of the "must" for me. Anyway, I understand that a lot of iPod users don't want radio, still my question is why you need an accessory like Apple remote to have the radio? I want all in one. Especially if Apple advertise "best ipod ever"

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 12:26 AM

The one thing radio is awesome for on the go is live sports. If you're a sports fan and have a local team you follow, being able to tune into the game wherever you are is an awesome feature. Of course most sports radio stations are AM, not FM, which will NEVER come to any mp3 player. ever.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 4, 2007, 01:46 AM

Now for first time I'm upset with the new strategy. I'm not sure if probably I'm frustrated that iPhone works only with AT&T or what, but I was talking with an Apple employee and they are also disappointed with the iTouch limitations... And if you see the iTouch discussions is incredible how many persons ask for more features...

...and about the radio, if you know you don't add extra weight or space for songs, I'm sure you would like to have it, even if you only use it once in a while. NPR is one of the "must" for me. Anyway, I understand that a lot of iPod users don't want radio, still my question is why you need an accessory like Apple remote to have the radio? I want all in one. Especially if Apple advertise "best ipod ever"
1) Peoples expectations for the iPod touch were way out of what an "iPod" should be. An iPod, at its core, is an MP3 player. The addition of a color screen, picture viewing, and video playback is a BONUS. The read-only PIM functionality is a BONUS. Wi-Fi on the iPod touch is a BONUS. The iPod touch is not meant to be an iPhone without the phone, its meant to be an iPod with Multi-Touch. Look at the functionality of the iPod classic and nano, and look at the functionality of the iPod touch. You can't compare two products in separate product lines.

2) Not everyone wants radio. I'd rather have reduced bulk or more memory than have an FM radio tuner. I used to have a Creative MuVo. And I never used the FM radio. I have an iPod radio remote. I never use the radio part of it. An iPod is meant to play music that you store on it. And to that end, the current lineup is the best lineup of iPods ever. The majority of the people that buy MP3 players have voted with their money that they don't want or don't care for a built-in FM tuner. Those that want one buy FM tuner accessories. Simple as that.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
The only good thing for FM radio is to report traffic congestion which is pretty much S.N.A.F.U. (Situation Normal: All Fouled Up) or any road blocks such as traffic accidents.
Agreed. But the funny thing is, traffic reports are mostly interesting to me when I'm in my car.

And, um, the only way to listen to the iPod in most cars I've ever seen is to, er, hook it up to the radio.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 03:31 AM

People have been asking for feature after feature ever since the very first iPod even hit the market.

People just don't seem to get (don't feel bad; *none* of Apple's competitors get it either) that too many features BREAK a product.

Leaving OUT features that people don't actually need, or making them add-ons or leaving them to the 3rd parties for those few people that might actually want them is a bigger part of what made the iPod #1 than you'd think.

And once you add a feature to a device, it's virtually *impossible* to ever remove it again should you decide it's obsolete or just not a good idea, without a handful of people whipping up a shitstorm on the internet.

Apple makes a great accessory for the tiny minority of users who need a radio and don't actually *prefer* podcasts of their favorite shows.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 03:34 AM

I can't believe that some persons (like stevesnj) get upset if somebody talk against Apple.
The only problem I have with your argument is that the exact same discussion comes up EVERY ****ING WEEK, and the facts never change that no, Apple isn't stupid, yes, Apple has actually thought of the same things you've thought about, and yes, Apple has very *good* reasons for doing things exactly the way they do.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The only problem I have with your argument is that the exact same discussion comes up EVERY ****ING WEEK, and the facts never change that no, Apple isn't stupid, yes, Apple has actually thought of the same things you've thought about, and yes, Apple has very *good* reasons for doing things exactly the way they do.
This is the sort of thing that drives me nuts. I totally agree with you. Its amazing how many people think they know more about the computer/digital media device market than Apple does. When Apple makes a decision I don't particularly agree with, I always give them the benefit of the doubt concerning their reason(s) for said decision. After all, they are professionals, they know their own business more than I do, and they have a lot more riding on these decisions than I do. That doesn't mean I take everything they do lying down. It just means I understand that just because I don't agree with something they do, doesn't make me right and them wrong.

But if it does make me right and them wrong, I want a job, and I want to be paid very well. (and get free stuff)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 04:29 PM

<cue iPhone 3rd-party app/vendor lock-in discussion/petition/armchair marketing strategery>

goldfilm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2007, 03:20 PM

That's the point. Who knows Apple's reasons? The whole discussion is about Apple putting more effort in marketing strategy than the product itself. I bet you that at least 75% of Apple employees wouldn't buy the iTouch because so many limitations. I was talking with them in the Apple Store. And I can't agree about iTouch = iPod with touch + wifi. That's not the intention. They filled the device with "half-applications" so you are tempted to buy the iPhone directly. It was less effort to leave the iCal editable, less effort to allow using lyrics (like any other iPod), etc.

That's my reading, of course.

And about the radio, if somebody tell me that in order to put a radio tuner on an iPod you lose a few thousand songs or you gain 25% of size/weight, I could agree that it's better to leave the iPod with no radio. But according to what I see in all the other MP3 competitors, I think that probably you won't lose a big thing in your device if you have radio, but the opposite.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 04:04 PM

That's the point. Who knows Apple's reasons? The whole discussion is about Apple putting more effort in marketing strategy than the product itself. I bet you that at least 75% of Apple employees wouldn't buy the iTouch because so many limitations. I was talking with them in the Apple Store. And I can't agree about iTouch = iPod with touch + wifi. That's not the intention. They filled the device with "half-applications" so you are tempted to buy the iPhone directly. It was less effort to leave the iCal editable, less effort to allow using lyrics (like any other iPod), etc.
Welcome to the world of goods and marketing. You have just described what is known as an "upsell".

Once you start regularly spending money on products, you'll find that this is normal, except Apple are rather good at it. Excellent, in fact.

That's quite obviously Apple's reason.

And about the radio, if somebody tell me that in order to put a radio tuner on an iPod you lose a few thousand songs or you gain 25% of size/weight, I could agree that it's better to leave the iPod with no radio. But according to what I see in all the other MP3 competitors, I think that probably you won't lose a big thing in your device if you have radio, but the opposite.
Based on how many iPods we sell (tons) and how many Apple radio accessories we sell (almost none), and combined with my own preference (I don't WANT a radio in my iPod), and the fact that you obviously didn't understand what I said above about too many features BREAKING a product, I think you simply don't know what you're talking about.

Rest assured, Apple are a LOT better at their job than you are.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2007, 04:22 PM

That's the point. Who knows Apple's reasons?
Apple knows Apple's reasons. No one else does. Lots of people pretend to know, but they don't. They try backing up their reasons with weird "facts" and numbers but at the end of the day, they are usually wrong. What I'm saying is, we may think its obvious why Apple has done something, but it really isn't that obvious.

Apple is so good at what they do that most people simply forget that Apple is a company just like any other, who is trying to make as much money as they can. Many people have this odd perception of Apple as the champion of the consumer. And while they are not as wildly underhanded as a lot of other companies, they are certainly not in the business of doing whatever it takes, usually at the cost of the bottom line, to make everyone happy. Of course, its a major balancing at, as you must keep your consumers as happy as possible, while at the same time making more money than you did the previous year thereby keeping your shareholders happy.

goldfilm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2007, 05:04 PM

Welcome to the world of goods and marketing. You have just described what is known as an "upsell".

Once you start regularly spending money on products, you'll find that this is normal, except Apple are rather good at it. Excellent, in fact.

That's quite obviously Apple's reason.

Based on how many iPods we sell (tons) and how many Apple radio accessories we sell (almost none), and combined with my own preference (I don't WANT a radio in my iPod), and the fact that you obviously didn't understand what I said above about too many features BREAKING a product, I think you simply don't know what you're talking about.

Rest assured, Apple are a LOT better at their job than you are.
I'm sorry. I didn't know you worked at Apple (is that right? You wrote "we sell"), and I didn't want to hurt your feelings. Actually I don't want this to be I tried to make constructive critic. To my view and many iTouch users, many people is disappointed because the iTouch is an iPod with touch instead of an iPhone without phone. That's all.

About the radio, I still think that it's a must. I don't know if it takes a loooot of technology to do it.

So, let's close this discussion. If it comes the next f***** week, it's not my fault.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 05:18 PM

About the radio, I still think that it's a must. I don't know if it takes a lot of technology to do it.
Your just wrong...sorry... but i respect your opinion.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 05:25 PM

To my view and many iTouch users, many people is disappointed because the iTouch is an iPod with touch instead of an iPhone without phone. That's all.

About the radio, I still think that it's a must. I don't know if it takes a loooot of technology to do it.
No, I don't work at Apple. But I sell these things.

And again: the primary incentive for buying an mp3 players is to NOT have to listen to the radio.

You are a TINY minority. But don't fret: you're the reason Apple ALREADY MAKES a radio accessory.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 5, 2007, 05:30 PM

And I can't agree about iTouch = iPod with touch + wifi. That's not the intention. They filled the device with "half-applications" so you are tempted to buy the iPhone directly. It was less effort to leave the iCal editable, less effort to allow using lyrics (like any other iPod), etc.
Ah, but see there's a reason it's called the iPod touch. BECAUSE IT'S AN iPOD WITH MULTI-TOUCH. NOT AN PHONE-LESS iPHONE. You want a phone-less iPhone? Go buy one, activate it, cancel within 30 days, and remove the SIM card. THERE.

About the radio, I still think that it's a must.
That's nice. We obviously don't, and, because we bought iPods knowing they don't have FM tuners, we obviously DON'T CARE.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2007, 01:49 AM

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 6, 2007, 06:15 PM

if you absolutely must have FM radio, then Griffin Technologies at least has an option for you

Griffin Technology: iFM with Dock - Radio and Remote for iPod

I still believe that FM radio is an option that only a small vocal minority want.

Criticize Apple all you want about not having FM radio built in to the iPod. At least you can get a third party accessory to do it.

This upcoming product says it supports all the new iPods including the iPod touch.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2007, 06:49 PM

I hate radio so I couldn't care. Apple's reason is probably to encourage ITMS sales.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 8, 2007, 02:57 AM

I was highlighting the Griffin remote for the physical controls. Not for the radio.

This remote would be the best way to allow people to skip between tracks, play and pause, and change volume without having to look at the iPod touch to change the volume. The lack of physical buttons on the touch is a concern for some folks and this might help alleviate that concern.

I have an Apple radio remote but I tried the radio just to see it work. Since I bought it, I have never used it....

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2007, 11:49 AM

I wonder why Apple didn't make an extension for the Touch's headphones like they used to for the older iPods? You know, the thing that was like a remote connected to your headphones. Something like that (but a bit smaller, as the old one was kind of cumbersome) would solve a lot of button issues.

johnmcboston
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by donutogre View Post
i honestly can't think of a feature i could care about less than FM radio. it is a horrible wasteland of terrible, terrible music. i could rattle of a list of 100 things that apple could do to make the ipod more compelling easily. and i'm not that much of a geek, i just really hate the radio.
Agreed. radio is OK, but it's nothing to shout about any more. I only listen to it in the mornings to get news and such. other times it's my music or internet radio...

teasphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 12:02 PM

I just saw this thread and wanted to touch on a big reason that many of you may have overlooked or just been unaware of: Gyms. When you are at the gym you can tune your own personal FM radio to different channels and pick up the audio to the different TV's/channels playing. It's nice to catch the news and a lot of people do it. I'm not much of a gym rat anymore, but when I was in sports it was a nice break from music while working out.

chriswithpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 12:30 PM

MacRumors iPhone Blog: iPhone To Support Nike+ Products? Radio Remote?

"...Apple's reference of mobile.radio may also indicate that the iPod Radio Remote accessory is being made compatible with iPhone/iPod Touch..."
Chris McCorkle • Happy iPhone Owner!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by teasphere View Post
I just saw this thread and wanted to touch on a big reason that many of you may have overlooked or just been unaware of: Gyms. When you are at the gym you can tune your own personal FM radio to different channels and pick up the audio to the different TV's/channels playing. It's nice to catch the news and a lot of people do it. I'm not much of a gym rat anymore, but when I was in sports it was a nice break from music while working out.
Isn't it lovely that Apple makes radio accessories for those who actually work out, while those that don't, don't have to bother?

Forum Links
Forum Rules