Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP battery life with Leopard

MBP battery life with Leopard
phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2007, 04:51 AM

Just curious... what is everyones battery life with Leopard? mine is very much reduced... by about an hour or so...

And my mac runs ALOT hotter. My fans come on quite often even when not doing much. I know its using more graphics resources and has to do more by way of processing... but to have THAT much of a performance impact??

any thoughts/experiences?

rob

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2007, 11:26 AM

MIne is the same as under Tiger. I get 2 1/2 - 3 hours an full brightness.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2007, 12:37 PM

phoenix,
I just got my battery replaced by the apple store and I get about 3 hours, or just under.... I'd say for your situation, make sure you've got any pref panes that dealt with the fans turned off or just removed from the prefs.

Worst case, back up your user folder, wipe and reload from scratch. I'm doing that today on my 2ghz core duo. People are telling me I should be MUCH faster than I am with a 2ghz and 2gb of RAM.

Overall people have had issues with Leopard. Graphics, power, speed, rendering, etc... I just don't remember hearing this many complaints about performance issues when Tiger came out. I'm going to try the wipe and reload aspect today. If it doesn't speed me up I'm going back to tiger.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Oct 31, 2007, 05:28 PM

Do you have Time Machine running? Constant disk activity can kill battery life rather quickly. As for the fans, have a look at Activity Monitor (in Utilities) and see what's hogging the CPU. Usually, fan activity is a good indication that something is requiring a lot of processor time.

phoenix78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2007, 08:48 PM

I do have time machine but i take it out alot.

hmmm.... when i have my holiday i may reinstall everything. im just not impressed with Leopard at the moment... Tiger was better in terms of performance and stability...

i may do another test where i run the battery down and see how long it goes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules