Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Don't often agree with Pat Buchanan..

Don't often agree with Pat Buchanan..
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2007, 11:56 PM

but I think he's nailed this issue right on the head. This country is in a lot deeper trouble than many of us would like to admit.

Sinking Currency, Sinking Country - Yahoo! News
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 10:13 AM

I also agree with most of what he's saying here, but I'm not entirely sure what he means when he says 'the chickens of free trade are coming home to roost'. I really don't think that free trade is what is causing the depression of the dollar (especially since we don't really engage in it...), and neither, it appears, does he. So why did he throw that in?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 10:39 AM

If you're preoccupied with the fall in the dollar (which is only all that really dramatic versus our friends to the north), go buy foreign currency or currency funds. Be proactive instead of running around like a decapitated chicken. Currency traders are making a lot of money right now - many are truly "making bank" off of this move because with a sustained trend like this currency trading can be far more lucrative than equities - but at a certain point the trend will invariably reverse.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 5, 2007 at 11:10 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
If you're preoccupied with the fall in the dollar (which is only all that really dramatic versus our friends to the north), go buy foreign currency or currency funds. Be proactive instead of running around like a decapitated chicken. Currency traders are making a lot of money right now - many are truly "making bank" off of this move because with a sustained trend like this currency trading can be far more lucrative than equities - but at a certain point the trend will invariably reverse.
I think it has to do with holding on to sovereignty. Their might be a lot of folks with money "making bank", but that's not necessarily good for the rest of the country.
ebuddy

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 09:38 PM

There are quite a number of folks who've long ago stopped worrying about what's good for the country, including a great number of our "representatives," who are selling our country to the highest bidders.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 06:15 AM

there are also quite a number of folks preaching that the apocolypse is nigh.

Individuals may be smart but people are dumb.

This "democracy" of a country has been run by the same two families since 1992, and if hillary wins that would make it two decades or more. Are these people really the best America has to offer? Thats what sickens me the most.

Me? I'm voting for Colbert whether he's officially on the democratic ballot or not. I honestly think the political satirist would make less of mockery of the people then the current line up does.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Are these people really the best America has to offer?
The best that money can buy.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2007, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
This "democracy" of a country has been run by the same two families since 1992, and if hillary wins that would make it two decades or more.
Bush senior started his presidency in 1989, if you want to also count his vicepresidency, then it started in 1980.

Taliesin

Forum Links
Forum Rules