Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch Screen after several months, also my thoughts on the Speck case

iPod Touch Screen after several months, also my thoughts on the Speck case
Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2008, 02:46 PM

I usually like to keep my things looking as new as possible, so I went out and purchased a Speck hard case for my 16GB iPod Touch. I know someone with a Speck case for their Macbook Pro and I thought it was pretty well made. But the Speck case for the iPod Touch is pretty lousy. First, the case already came with a few minor scratches on it and after using it for only 2 days became really badly scratched. In addition, the screen protector is also lousy, as it is really easy for dust and other things to get underneath it. I would not recommend the Speck iPod Touch case to anyone.

I asked someone at an Apple Store about other cases and they told me that all the other hard plastic cases would probably perform like the Speck case.

I'm thinking about just forgoing a hard plastic case and just using a slip case. Can anyone share their experiences about leaving the iPod Touch unprotected after a few months of use? Is it easy to scratch the screen?

Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanks

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2008, 08:03 PM

My screen hasn't scratched after being in my pocket with keys (the screen is unprotected). I'm pretty happy with it, I don't see a need for a screen protector.

wilsonng
Senior User
Feb 9, 2008, 08:35 AM

I was impressed with my friend's Otterbox Defender for the iPod touch.

Otterbox.com | Drop-resistant iPod Touch Cases

It seems to be well built. I didn't exactly ask him to toss his Otterbox-clad iPod touch to the ground to test its shock absorption ability but it looks like it would be able to withstand most drops. A nice touch is the water-resistance capabilities. Note: I didn't say water-proof! It helps against light rain and precipitation.

It did make the iPod touch thicker which loses the coolness factor of having a slim profile but it looks like a worthwhile trade. The polycarbonate case helps protect against drop and bumps.

The other one is Otterbox Armor for iPod touch:

Otterbox.com | Waterproof iPod Touch Cases

The page says "Waterproof, dustproof, dirtproof, sandproof, and drop-proof." So this is a higher-level of protection. It is water proof up to 3 feet. So that's nice to know.

The Armor series uses a rubber case to help protect against drops and bumps.

Both the Defender and Armor series has a thin membrane protecting the screen.

I waited for the iPod touch to increase the capacity up to 32 GBs. Now that it has arrived, I guess I have to save money for it. The Armor is looking like the choice for me....
( Last edited by wilsonng; Feb 9, 2008 at 08:52 AM. )
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2008, 11:00 AM

I use the thin Incase rubber case, with a separate screen protector film. So far the iPod itself looks new when I take it out of the case. The case is thin, so it doesn't add much bulk to the iPod. It's not waterproof though and I doubt it'll do much in a serious drop.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
I was impressed with my friend's Otterbox Defender for the iPod touch.

It seems to be well built.
We had a discussion about that one over at the Apple forum until Otterbox asked the mods to lock it because they felt it was bad PR.
Apple - Support - Discussions - Otterbox Defender for ipod touch review ...

In the end I avoided it because of the issues people claimed it had.

I went with the TuffWrap TuffWrap for iPod touch: Durable silicone case with TuffShield screen protection
It is as solid as the iSkin cases but does not attract nearly as much lint as iSkin version. Plus it is half the price if you get it online or at Walmart. It will provide good protection from normal wear and tear and maybe from a small drop. The Toughshield it comes with is decent. Not as good as an Invisible Shield but this one was free.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2008, 11:10 PM

I simply use the "Crystal Film Set" from Power Support, which works just wonderfully thus far after 3 months of daily use. Highly recommend for only $14.95 and it beats having a big case around the iPod touch in my opinion.

iPodTouch Crystal Film

Forum Links
Forum Rules