Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Using iPod as portable media drive with MacBook while retaining syncing with Mac Pro?

Using iPod as portable media drive with MacBook while retaining syncing with Mac Pro?
damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2008, 09:28 PM

Okay...I've been reading about Senuti, and I don't think it'll do what I need. I don't care about transferring music from my iPod to my computer. I just want to be able to listen to music from my iPod through iTunes on my MacBook.

I keep all my music stored on my Mac Pro, and I have around 360GB now. I know I can listen to files from my iPod on the MB if I manually manage my music between the iPod and the MP, but I like the simplicity of just checking the playlists I want to put on my iPod. Is there any kind of plug-in I can use with iTunes to keep syncing playlists with my MP and iPod, while I use the iPod as a portable media drive with my MB?

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining the situation clearly. It's been a long day. Let me know if this is unclear, and I'll give it another go. Thanks for any help.

Rob

P.S. - Sorry for the long title. Didn't know how to make it any shorter without losing clarity.

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2008, 02:52 AM

Anyone have any ideas?

wilsonng
Senior User
Feb 10, 2008, 08:50 AM

why don't you just connect the iPod directly to a set of speakers instead of connecting it to the MB?

I guess I'm assuming you want to access the iPod music and play it on your MB speakers, eh?

Playing music through the MB onboard speakers surely isn't a pleasurable listening experience when it'll sound better playing through headphones or a computer speaker system.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2008, 12:56 PM

I listen to music on my MB with headphones, and my job requires me to sporadically listen to audio files. I don't want to have to switch my headphones from my iPod to my computer every time I need to listen to some work recording. I'd rather listen to everything routed through my MB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules