Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Your anti terrorism dollars hard at work

Your anti terrorism dollars hard at work
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2011, 10:18 AM

It's hard to believe (well maybe not for the gullible). Welcome to Amerika.

NYT: For anarchist, details of life as FBI target - US news - The New York Times - msnbc.com
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2011, 10:34 AM

Its a little known fact that 90% of anti-terrorism funding is now spent on Obama's daily "drugs & hookers" parties held inside the White House.

It was only ~55% before they got Bin Laden. They can now afford way more drugs & hookers.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
May 29, 2011, 05:48 PM

I find it interesting that the NYT has to go all the way to Austin to find "local FBI office tracks self described anarchist" stories. Nothing like that ever happens in the Empire State? Right...

I'm not saying it's right or smart, but if the guy has been followed and occasionally bothered by the FBI for years, don't you think that at least some of it has to do with his statements that he is an anarchist? And by what definition does he label himself thus? The "I don't believe any structure can fairly govern so I'm against all of them" or the less benign "all governments are inherently evil so it's OK to take violent action to destroy any government" definition?

Just sayin'...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm not saying it's right or smart, but if the guy has been followed and occasionally bothered by the FBI for years, don't you think that at least some of it has to do with his statements that he is an anarchist? And by what definition does he label himself thus? The "I don't believe any structure can fairly govern so I'm against all of them" or the less benign "all governments are inherently evil so it's OK to take violent action to destroy any government" definition?

Just sayin'...
ebuddy

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
It figures you would miss the point.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
It figures you would miss the point.
The point is Crow is a clown and is getting the attention he wanted and claimed as much. Now he's a victim. Tell ya what; you have absolutely every freedom in the US to express your anarchist views in a legal manner (even if they're in stark contrast to animal rights activism as if he doesn't expect some Federal or State adjudication of these rights), but once you've convinced 15 of your friends to dress up in tiger suits and illegally burst into a private corporation's headquarters with banners making your way to the roof, you've left the realm of the sane and have now garnered the attention of a clown.

You're suggesting you don't have freedom of speech or dissent in the US which is a non-point in the context of your example as usual. I have a close friend who self-identifies as an anarchist who openly expresses his views and has yet to be harassed or "watched" by any authority. Trust me, they don't want to work any more than you do OldMan.
ebuddy

screener
Senior User
May 29, 2011, 10:51 PM

I have a close friend who self-identifies as an anarchist who openly expresses his views and has yet to be harassed or "watched" by any authority.
Must make for interesting conversations, eh?
From my Mac thesaurus,
anarchist
insurgent, agitator, subversive, terrorist, revolutionary, revolutionist, insurrectionist.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by screener View Post
Must make for interesting conversations, eh?
From my Mac thesaurus,
anarchist
It's really much simpler than that.

Anarchy: • absence of government and absolute freedom of the individual, regarded as a political ideal.

If he must be one of the synonyms you've listed from your thesaurus entry above, well then he's only an anarchist in the political ideal. Our conversations are fascinating yes, but then he generally doesn't bring a thesaurus along.
ebuddy

screener
Senior User
May 30, 2011, 12:50 PM

It's really much simpler than that.

Anarchy: • absence of government and absolute freedom of the individual, regarded as a political ideal.

If he must be one of the synonyms you've listed from your thesaurus entry above, well then he's only an anarchist in the political ideal. Our conversations are fascinating yes, but then he generally doesn't bring a thesaurus along.
If you ever have political aspirations, keep in mind that some may try to use your connection to an anarchist against you.
he generally doesn't bring a thesaurus along.
But sometimes?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by screener View Post
If you ever have political aspirations, keep in mind that some may try to use your connection to an anarchist against you.
Someone out to ruin me might find my associating with you here much more damaging.

But sometimes?
Never.
ebuddy

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2011, 09:18 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules