Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Six down, 44 to go!

Six down, 44 to go! (Page 2)
OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
That's because you go through life assuming that you know people's intent.
Some people wear their intent on their sleeve.

Like the bigot you are.
Wrong.

I've been nothing but neutral in this thread and simply reported outcome but you've assumed somehow that I'm anti-gay.
I've never made any such assumption. And no one is completely neutral. We all have passion for subjects we are deeply interested in.

You're the one who's stereotyping all the time Karl. It's a shame you can't see that.
I call it like I see it, and so do you.

Now, I understand that it's quite hard to not be a bigot in that shithole of a culture you live in, where everyone is either a Dem or a GOPper and there's no room for any independent thinkers, but some of us aren't in your stupid argumentative culture. So think on next time you open your bigoted fat mouth.
More of your useless generalizations. Driven by your emotions, and nothing else. Calling people retards and bigots lends no credibility to your arguments.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
For someone who's "neutral," you're throwing around a lot of insults.
You'll note that the insults only come after someone assumes that they know what I'm about. And the insults are there because I f'cking hate bigoted lefties who stereotype everyone who doesn't agree with every word they say. I state what's been happening here in a neutral manner and Karl assumes that I want to kill all gays (or even stop them from having the pleasure of a mother-in-law) simply because I haven't joined the queue to give Barrack Obama a blow job.
I f'cking hate that.
And it plays out time and time again here in the pol lounge. It's a shame you mods aren't better at your jobs or you'd pick up on the passive aggressive shite that half the people around here think passes for discussion and you'd apply the rules. If you weren't so biased, of course.
How exactly do you expect me to respond to a post which starts with "another one of your unfounded stereotypical generalities"? Is Karl saying that I always come out with stereotypical generalities, or is he admitting that he hasn't got the first clue about gay/religious relations in the UK therefore is, in fact, a bigoted retard for even attempting to comment on my post?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
And no one is completely neutral.
More assumptions. Which leads to:

More of your useless generalizations. Driven by your emotions, and nothing else.
Actually, you can't see it but you've just contradicted yourself somewhat there. You assume that nobody is completely neutral then can't see that my observation about your culture is correct. It's perfectly possible (and regular) for people from here to be able to talk about subjects without any passion whatsoever - it's why we're seen as cold to the rest of the world... ...that stiff upper lip thing.
You don't understand this, so you carry on in your ignorance and assume that everyone is driven by the same emotional weaknesses that you are. You think it's a generalisation because your world experience isn't wide enough to tell you that it's simply an observation from an outsider - you're so wrapped up in your silly little emotional tantrums that you think everyone else is too. I mean, which bit of "I don't give a toss" did you not understand?

Face it Karl, you are in fact a bigot. You stereotype me according to how you think a Republican would act (because, let's face it, there's only Democrats and Republicans and since I disagree with you I can't be a Democrat). And that's your mistake.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 09:15 AM

Did you read what you posted? It says "could," and it shows nothing that says that's what will happen. IOW, it's classical fear mongering, designed to stir up emotions, which causes people to lose their sense of logic, which in turn brings about the type of response you posted.
Oh and Karl, the guest house owners in the case I mentioned are now light to the tune of $8,000, pending appeal. While there's still gay-only venues.
So, classical fear-mongering?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
This story is three years old, but it illustrates one of the many issues that are sure to pop up in the near future
Gay Rights, Religious Liberties: A Three-Act Story : NPR
I love this. What's the point of posting this? Does this somehow mean gay marriage shouldn't be legal?

Edit: Out of curiosity, are there any churches that refuse to perform interracial marriages in the US?

andi*pandi
Jul 5, 2011, 10:36 AM

You'll note that the insults only come after someone assumes that they know what I'm about. ...
And it plays out time and time again here in the pol lounge. It's a shame you mods aren't better at your jobs... If you weren't so biased, of course.
a) escalating the level of discord isn't a good way to make a point;
b) not a pol mod, wouldn't want to be, then I'd have to read every single post and that is f'ing depressing;
c) you've assumed I disagree with you, which maybe I don't? tsk tsk.

I'm in support of gay marriage. Forcing everyone else to provide services though isn't going to change minds though. My spouse and I met several priests and rabbis before we could find those willing to marry us. We didn't sue to force those who wouldn't. Why would we want them to marry us if they didn't want to? Were we discriminated against?

There are these edge cases though that are trickier to solve.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 11:09 AM

My spouse and I met several priests and rabbis before we could find those willing to marry us.
I don't think most people realize that it can be a challenge to find the person to perform the ceremony (At least first time wedees). And why would they? It's almost never talked about and it doesn't strike me as on one of the essential details people worry about. It's definitely taken for granted.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 12:45 PM

a) escalating the level of discord isn't a good way to make a point
It's the only language some people understand.

b) not a pol mod, wouldn't want to be, then I'd have to read every single post and that is f'ing depressing
Well shut up then.

c) you've assumed I disagree with you, which maybe I don't? tsk tsk.
No I didn't - I made a generic statement.
Again, you can't see it from the inside but you're in a culture which assumes that every word of every sentence is an "argument" (this is actually what generates the level of dislike for American culture across the world). It's very subtle... ...I didn't notice it for a long time - then I thought back to pre-Internet days when the US guitar magazines' letters pages would be full of people having arguments with previous months' letter writers and the UK guitar magazines' letters pages wouldn't be. It's extremely subtle but it's there - your culture thrives on conflict and argument and the vast majority of you unconsciously seek it out wherever possible. It's probably the result of the first amendment.

I'm in support of gay marriage. Forcing everyone else to provide services though isn't going to change minds though. My spouse and I met several priests and rabbis before we could find those willing to marry us. We didn't sue to force those who wouldn't. Why would we want them to marry us if they didn't want to? Were we discriminated against?

There are these edge cases though that are trickier to solve.
Thing is, there's a whole industry over here which is dedicated to finding the merest hint of discrimination and having it out in court. They're called Stonewall. The two blokes turned away from that guest house were members of Stonewall, and everyone knows (although can't prove) that the couple were set up from the start.
Essentially, Stonewall were a good thing for a while - until they achieved their aims and equality is now written into law. At which point they should have disbanded, but instead have now become ambulance chasers seeking discord where there's none (and don't tell me that you don't have ambulance chasers in the US and A). They won't be happy until the rest of the population is forced to host a gay wedding in their back garden.

So, these aren't "edge" cases - they're a regular thing. It's what happens when the pressure groups have achieved their goals and need to continue to justify their existence/salary. Do we think that Karl is going to shut up about gay rights on the day that full equality is written into US law?

There's another thing related to this subject. We don't have gay marriage in name here - it's called civil partnership. So of course, not content with "civil partnership" and full legal equality, a lot of shouty gays are campaigning for "marriage". Not knowing, of course, that every "marriage" in the UK is a civil partnership in the eyes of the law (the legal "civil partnership" occurs at the same time as the legally-irrelevant religious "marriage" part - and if you only do the religious bit you're not actually legally married).
But shouty people don't stop being shouty once they get what they want.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 03:09 PM

shouty people don't stop being shouty once they get what they want.
So you're saying there is little point in agreeing with you...?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Exactly.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2011, 10:48 PM

It's the only language some people understand.
I'm not one of those, and once again you show your resorting to generalizations.

Do we think that Karl is going to shut up about gay rights on the day that full equality is written into US law?
More useless generalizations. You don't know squat about me.

But shouty people don't stop being shouty once they get what they want.
Taking a few news articles and basing your whole argument around them shows how deeply you understand what you're talking about.

Cold Warrior
Jul 5, 2011, 10:55 PM

I have as many infractions as it takes to ban someone for personal attacks. The pejoratives in this thread are beyond inappropriate.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 07:21 AM

Did this thread ever have an original topic? Oh wait, I've found it!

Businesses welcome gay marriage law | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com

The Wedding Industry in New York State has realized that gay dollars are just as good as straight dollars, and they are expecting a windfall from years of pent-up gay frustration finally letting loose in a fabulous display of wedded bliss!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2011, 09:48 PM

I'm afraid that Doofy is correct. Like a horse that eats itself to death, leftists will always want more, until they destroy the fabric of their society, and by extension, their own way of life. Such is the world we live in.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I'm afraid that Doofy is correct. Like a horse that eats itself to death, leftists will always want more, until they destroy the fabric of their society, and by extension, their own way of life. Such is the world we live in.

Except when it comes to:

- tax cuts
- deregulation
- spending cuts

etc.? Something like that?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2011, 10:00 PM

... and rightists will always try to justify bigotry by expressing it in terms of morality.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2011, 11:43 PM

Yes, unlike the right, which will simply starve everyone else to death, so they can have it all.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2011, 12:00 AM

Yes, unlike the right, which will simply starve everyone else to death, so they can have it all.
I do? Well, I'm just going to cancel that $25k check I sent to Amnesty International last week. I can't have it all if I keep giving it away, can I?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2011, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I do? Well, I'm just going to cancel that $25k check I sent to Amnesty International last week. I can't have it all if I keep giving it away, can I?
He was responding to the generalization about the left with a generalization about the right. Hopefully you see how silly it is.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2011, 07:28 AM

Which happens first, Utah legalizes same sex unions, or reinstates polygamy?
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Which happens first, Utah legalizes same sex unions, or reinstates polygamy?
It goes out David Koresh style.

Forum Links
Forum Rules