Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Things That Are Bugging Me About 10.7 . . .

Things That Are Bugging Me About 10.7 . . . (Page 2)
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I've had a quick look at Launchpad, if I start dragging things around and putting them in folders in launchpad, does this also move them around the actual file system in the Finder?
no (thank God)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2011, 05:51 PM

1. password still required for fast user switching
  2. finder sidebar font too big, but I'm sure I'll get used to it
  3. my 1Password is all jacked up

BEST FEATURE: Full screen apps coupled with Mission Control. They immediately changed everything about how I operate.

WORST FEATURE: Dock. Except for storing my Trash/Finder, it suddenly seems so pointless. How do I get rid of it.

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Hows the speed, is it slower, or faster then SL?
Same, once the Spotlight indexing is over with.
( Last edited by Ted L. Nancy; Jul 20, 2011 at 05:58 PM. )
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Hows the speed, is it slower, or faster then SL?
I would say that Snow Leopard was a much much larger jump in speed over Leopard which is why I think Apple made big deal of it at the time.
I do not think that there is a big jump is speed that is even noticeable in Lion.
That is not to say that it is not fast and very stable.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post

BEST FEATURE: Full screen apps coupled with Mission Control. They immediately changed everything about how I operate.

WORST FEATURE: Dock. Except for storing my Trash/Finder, it suddenly seems so pointless. How do I get rid of it.

I have been running the 1Password update for a bit and do not have any issues.
They changed the in browser interface which I do not like.
Other than that it should be the same if you do an update in the program.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I don't have a trackpad right now, but I believe Application Expose is triggered by swiping three fingers down on a trackpad. You can also get it by Right-clicking > Show All Windows.
hmmm... The functionality appears to have just been changed to the point where I can no longer get to this by just holding the mouse button down.
I love everything else though.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post

i've been using dock gone for years... i've always hated the dock (at least, on a 13" macbook); it's a little quirky, but (for me, anyway) well worth it...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2011, 10:57 PM

1. Full Screen is completely useless and pointless with multiple monitors.
2. The Menu Bar in full screen takes way too long to show up.
3. The new window animation is irritating, distracting, and slow.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2011, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
I have been running the 1Password update for a bit and do not have any issues.
They changed the in browser interface which I do not like.
Other than that it should be the same if you do an update in the program.
I have the most current version, it was just acting weird due to what I think was a faulty installation of the extension.

I actually like the new interface; although, I agree, it may get tedious after some time.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Radioflyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2011, 10:54 AM

After upgrading to Lion my magic mouse failed to work. I plugged in an older USB mouse and it does work. It appears the System Preference for Blue Tooth no longer has my machine name in it, instead it has "Name not available" and the "On" check box will not stay checked when I reopen the preference. The syncing process "Set Up New Device..." doesn't seem to work either, it searches but doesn't find eventually the flashing LED on the mouse goes out.

I've tried to solve this but failed. I believe its something wrong with the installation of Lion on my iMac because I installed Lion on my lap top and the magic mouse WILL sync with it.

What do you suggest I do to remedy this situation?
Cheers
RadioFlyer

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 12:18 PM

You can no longer drag and drop app windows between spaces in Mission Control. In SL I used to do that fairly frequently, what a pita. Now the only option is to drag windows to a different space from the active space which means if I want to gather a number of different windows together I have to bounce back and forth between each space and Mission Control several times. Egad.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 11011001 View Post
1. Full Screen is completely useless and pointless with multiple monitors.
Agreed. There should be an option to allow maximizing a full screen app on one monitor and have windowed apps in another (or two fullscreen apps simultaneously foe that matter).

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
You can no longer drag and drop app windows between spaces in Mission Control. In SL I used to do that fairly frequently, what a pita. Now the only option is to drag windows to a different space from the active space which means if I want to gather a number of different windows together I have to bounce back and forth between each space and Mission Control several times. Egad.
Yes, you can, but those windows have to be in the active desktop. So you switch to the desktop where the window you want to move is resting, then you can drag it to another.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2011, 04:44 PM

i'd like to re-order spaces when i'm IN mission control; click at the top, move them where i want; can't seem to get them organized as i'd like otherwise! (driving me nuts actually).

and...if i have 2 windows of websites open (i'm used to keeping 2 windows, each with about 12 sites open), i can't switch between them (command-~) when in full-screen mode.....

aargh!

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Yes, you can, but those windows have to be in the active desktop. So you switch to the desktop where the window you want to move is resting, then you can drag it to another.
I know, that's what I said. Previously in SL you could launch Spaces and move windows from any space to any other space without switching views. Now with Mission Control, if I have four windows from different spaces that I want to combine into one I have to go to space #1, launch MC, drag window to space 5, open space #2, launch MC, drag window to space 5, etc. It's literally 12 steps, broken up by multiple clicks and double taps to launch MC and active spaces, instead of just 5 steps with just one click or key press to launch the initial instance of Spaces.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
I know, that's what I said. Previously in SL you could launch Spaces and move windows from any space to any other space without switching views. Now with Mission Control, if I have four windows from different spaces that I want to combine into one I have to go to space #1, launch MC, drag window to space 5, open space #2, launch MC, drag window to space 5, etc. It's literally 12 steps, broken up by multiple clicks and double taps to launch MC and active spaces, instead of just 5 steps with just one click or key press to launch the initial instance of Spaces.
Oh, sorry, I guess I was skimming...it took me today to get used to working with the new set up, but I had never taken to Spaces before so we're in different boats. I do wish they'd give us the ability to move spaces around and label them, but I don't know how could make mission control work enough like the old spaces to satisfy you.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2011, 01:09 AM

In the Apple Lion screenshots, it shows full-screen apps at the top of the mission control screen shown horizontally (like Desktop 1, Desktop 2, etc.), with the app name shown under each. When I try this, I see the full screen apps at the top, but the app name doesn't appear under the app mini screenshot, unless I mouse over each one.

How do I get the app name to appear under all the full-screen apps in Mission Control as in the Apple screenshot for Mission Control? This is really bugging me!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
In the Apple Lion screenshots, it shows full-screen apps at the top of the mission control screen shown horizontally (like Desktop 1, Desktop 2, etc.), with the app name shown under each. When I try this, I see the full screen apps at the top, but the app name doesn't appear under the app mini screenshot, unless I mouse over each one.

How do I get the app name to appear under all the full-screen apps in Mission Control as in the Apple screenshot for Mission Control? This is really bugging me!
Mine works like the screenshot.
Vandelay Industries

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Mine works like the screenshot.
I played around a bit and closed a couple of Desktop spaces, and now I see the names under each at the top.

I don't know why this wasn't the case earlier...

Anyone else see this?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
I played around a bit and closed a couple of Desktop spaces, and now I see the names under each at the top.

I don't know why this wasn't the case earlier...

Anyone else see this?
same thing here, inconsistent...

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
same thing here, inconsistent...
What I found is on my 15" MacBook Pro, if I have more than 5 windows at the top of the Mission Control screen, it drops the titles underneath unless I mouse over them. 5 or less windows, and it displays the titles.

Wonder why...

Cold Warrior
Jul 31, 2011, 12:28 PM

So much for the recovery partition. While booted normally, du found some file system issues. Booted into recovery, du doesn't even let you repair a volume. Lame. Good old single user mode and fsck did.

OreoCookie
Jul 31, 2011, 01:07 PM

Really? I did just that last Friday and it worked as expected.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cold Warrior
Jul 31, 2011, 01:43 PM

Are your volumes encrypted?

OreoCookie
Jul 31, 2011, 03:15 PM

Nope, they're not. I'm still contemplating whether it's worth it to encrypt my drive. Have you notice any impact on performance?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
So much for the recovery partition. While booted normally, du found some file system issues. Booted into recovery, du doesn't even let you repair a volume. Lame. Good old single user mode and fsck did.
The volume is encrypted so the Recovery partition can't access it. SUM worked because you unlocked and booted from the encrypted volume. I'd imagine at some point Apple will add the capability to the Recovery partition to unlock encrypted volumes.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2011, 03:35 PM

Actually, the Recovery partition can access encrypted volumes. You need to unlock it first. In Disk Utility, select the volume and click the unlock icon. You'll be prompted for your password. The Lion installer will also allow you to unlock the volume before attempting to reinstall.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Nope, they're not. I'm still contemplating whether it's worth it to encrypt my drive. Have you notice any impact on performance?
I've noticed zero impact. I have a 2010 MacBook Air.
Vandelay Industries

Cold Warrior
Jul 31, 2011, 05:22 PM

Art, thanks.

Oreo, I haven't noticed a performance hit.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2011, 11:23 AM

There is a substantial performance hit:

AnandTech - Back to the Mac: OS X 10.7 Lion Review

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2011, 12:53 PM

That's not substantial, in my opinion. He duplicated 2.2 GB of files on hiis SSD and it took 20 extra seconds with FileVault enabled. Twenty seconds is nothing, really, and that was a lot of data. Comparing performance using percent really masks things. If an unencrypted transfer takes five seconds and an encrypted one takes ten, that's a 100% hit, but is insignificant. And If you're transferring to a rotating hard drive or over USB, the slower data transfer rate will totally obscure the encryption/decryption process.

OreoCookie
Aug 1, 2011, 01:10 PM

20 % in benchmarks is a lot. Nevertheless, it was a throughput benchmark which shows indicates the maximum impact, encryption can have on the speed of operations.

The fact that average file sizes are much smaller mitigates the impact encryption has quite a bit: for normal operations (working with files in the kB/MB range), the difference in performance may not be perceptible anymore.

In any case, it's good to substantiate subjective impressions with numbers.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2011, 06:54 PM

Is Lion Apple's Vista?

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2011, 07:56 PM

20 % in benchmarks is a lot. Nevertheless, it was a throughput benchmark which shows indicates the maximum impact, encryption can have on the speed of operations.

The fact that average file sizes are much smaller mitigates the impact encryption has quite a bit: for normal operations (working with files in the kB/MB range), the difference in performance may not be perceptible anymore.

In any case, it's good to substantiate subjective impressions with numbers.
20% prolly isn't perceptible. I had a CPU expansion sidecar for my Amiga 1000 with a switch on it. With it I could boost the CPU speed by a factor of 4x. That was only perceptible in games and benchmarks. Not much else. 20% performance hit on HDD access (and 20% isn't consistent) wouldn't be too noticeable in day to day stuff.

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Is Lion Apple's Vista?
Nope. As usual, Apple doesn't beta test very well and the 10.x.0 release needs a little work.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2011, 10:14 PM

I can definitely feel a performance hit from FileVault. It's not enough to make it not worth having everything encrypted, though.

The other disclaimer is that I'm using a fast SSD. On a normal hard drive, the drive's write speed would probably be the bottleneck, and the hit from FileVault would probably be a lot harder to notice.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Aug 1, 2011 at 10:24 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2011, 02:49 AM

When I click a download link in Safari 5 it tries to download the file as a page, to download it I have to right click on the link and select Download Linked File. Aargh!

Does anyone else get this?

Edit: Empty Cache and restart Safari seems to have fixed it.
( Last edited by ajprice; Aug 6, 2011 at 03:27 PM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2011, 04:57 AM

I have not gotten that.

OreoCookie
Aug 6, 2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
The other disclaimer is that I'm using a fast SSD. On a normal hard drive, the drive's write speed would probably be the bottleneck, and the hit from FileVault would probably be a lot harder to notice.
I've read in Syracusa's review, I think, that the performance hit with some SSDs is larger than with others. The reason is that essentially all writes become random (if you change 1 byte in the file, after encryption, the whole file gets changed) and some SSDs have trouble handling that.

P
Aug 6, 2011, 10:31 AM

I've read in Syracusa's review, I think, that the performance hit with some SSDs is larger than with others. The reason is that essentially all writes become random (if you change 1 byte in the file, after encryption, the whole file gets changed) and some SSDs have trouble handling that.
Sandforce controllers (one of the most common brands, and the one used by OWC and OCZ among others) will actually compress all writes to the drive on the fly. I imagine that this feature will fail break when using encryption.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2011, 05:51 PM

What bugs me, among other things, such as the App Store reliance and the anemic Finder, is the atrocious lack of performance in the QuickTime Player when I choose full-screen. It used to be a smooth scaling, but now it's jaggy and slow, both when entering full-screen and going from full-screen - this because of all the animations and change in UI by going to full-screen mode.

Apple managed to take the most simple app to go full-screen and made it jerky and slow. It was unnecessary, it worked just fine in 10.6 (QT 10.0) and even better in 10.5 (QT 7)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2011, 03:07 AM

^^ I was told good old QuickTime 7.6.6. still works under Lion. You need to download it, though.

QuickTime Player 7.6.6 for Mac OS X v10.6.3

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2011, 07:10 AM

What bugs me most?
The new finder window view options behaviour!
I don't really like the new "sort by kind" look even though it's actually a good idea. I can still sort by name and arrange by kind to get the old style but then it bugs me that a colored background doesn't work anymore!
Background colors only work in unsorted icon view!?!? Bug???

And I have a grey Safari adress bar! This also seems to be a bug and I haven't found a solution so far...

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2011, 07:15 AM

The icon/file images on my desktop files are not refreshing/showing. Some of them are blank, but i can still see the name of the file below it. If i drag the file, then i can see the image again. so weird. started with 10.7 LION.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
The icon/file images on my desktop files are not refreshing/showing. Some of them are blank, but i can still see the name of the file below it. If i drag the file, then i can see the image again. so weird. started with 10.7 LION.
Oh yes, I forgot about that one!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
^^ I was told good old QuickTime 7.6.6. still works under Lion. You need to download it, though.

QuickTime Player 7.6.6 for Mac OS X v10.6.3
Cool, yeah I have now downloaded it! Yipiiii

Thanks!!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2011, 01:40 PM

Finder is very confused on just how much disk space is available on my Time Machine drive (external USB). Disk Utility shows the right amount.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2011, 08:56 AM

Another thing that bothers me in Lion, is that one line of the mouse cursor disappears on the left side of the screen when it is moved completely to the left. This was probably in SL too, but it is annoying and I don't like it.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2011, 09:11 AM

Just ran into some more weirdness. I keep my home folder on a secondary drive and during the installation of Lion I had temporarily moved it to an external USB drive. I keep a alias to my Downloads folder in my dock and is set to view content as a list. Upon confirmation that everything was working okay with Lion, I copied my home folder to a secondary internal drive and updated my profile accordingly. All was well until I realized that when I click on the Downloads folder in the Dock, the pop-up list is displaying the content of ~/Downloads from my internal drive (as it should) but if I right-click on the folder and click open, it would take me to the ~/Downloads folder on my external USB drive (I had left my home folder contents there as a backup). It was very confusing until I realize what was going on. Deleting and re-adding the folder to the Dock fixed the problem.

It's these little things that can really mess you up.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Another thing that bothers me in Lion, is that one line of the mouse cursor disappears on the left side of the screen when it is moved completely to the left. This was probably in SL too, but it is annoying and I don't like it.
The arrow cursor has a white outline. I assume its hot spot is not on the outline, but at the top left of its black part (other cursors have their hot spot even more in the middle, like at a finger).

Now let's assume the cursor could only be moved until the outline touches the left of the screen, but the hot spot is one pixel to the right, then you couldn't click the leftmost row of pixels on your screen. Wouldn't that bother you even more?

Who gives a crap about something like this anyway?

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2011, 12:14 PM

Lion is the first OS release I've skipped in the last ten years...I was part of the dual-boot 9.2 and 10.04 days but 10.7 seems like too big of a change (like Ubuntu 11.04).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
AFAIK, this has been the case since at least 1989, when I got started on Macintosh.

I suggest you learn to deal with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules