Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Daringfireball's new dark background

Daringfireball's new dark background
macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 10:57 AM

I'm not a big fan. So I created a .css style for the Stylish Chrome/Firefox plugin.

Daringfireball old grey background - Themes and Skins for Daringfireball - userstyles.org

This style returns DF back to the grey background which I prefer.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 11:04 AM

Gruber's a bit of a jerk, so I stopped reading his blog. Maybe I should start caring again.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 11:05 AM

Gruber's a bit of a jerk, and that's why I like his blog.

As for the background... I only ever see his stuff in my RSS reader, so it doesn't matter to me.

I get the whole minimal thing he's going for on his site, but to me it was always hard to read. Not in a squinty / dark background kind of way, but rather how the information is broken up. It just doesn't flow right.

RSS fixes that... and he always sends out his whole entry in RSS so you never have to go to his site.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Gruber's a bit of a jerk, so I stopped reading his blog. Maybe I should start caring again.
He is in love with himself isn't he?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 11:46 AM

I hate the new background. Reading yesterday's post on Siri was killing my eyes.

Also, Gruber is the best tech blog on the net.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 12:10 PM

Gruber is a non-evalengetical Apple evangelist. He points out how everyone doesn't get Apple. He is rarely wrong. There's plenty of Anti-Apple pundit-fodder for him to harp on.

He comes off as a jerk sometimes. Steve Jobs was a jerk. But Gruber is no Steve Jobs.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

saintly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2011, 12:55 PM

Isn't it just temporarily black as a mark of respect for Steve Jobs' passing?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 12:58 PM

He's not really a jerk... he's just single focused and outspoken. He's also a giant apple fanboy even though he claims not to be. But that's okay. I read his stuff because he's a giant apple fanboy. That's the schtick.

So, is John Gruber also the Macalope? It's been more or less alluded that he is, but I can't get any real confirmation. Anyone?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by saintly View Post
Isn't it just temporarily black as a mark of respect for Steve Jobs' passing?
I believe so especially considering that it changed the afternoon Jobs passed away.
Vandelay Industries

P
Oct 12, 2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
So, is John Gruber also the Macalope? It's been more or less alluded that he is, but I can't get any real confirmation. Anyone?
A number of people think he is, it's been rumored for five years by now, and he's doing that "amusing" non-denial thing. I very much doubt it. The Macalope does have a personal blog as well, and posts the same sort of quick little soundbites that Gruber fills DF with. If they were the same person, I think they would go on the main DF page.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 01:57 PM

I hate that he does his daily updates behind a paywall.

I know that we're spoiled by everything on the web being free, but come on. Who is going to pay $40 bucks a year for MacWorld insider?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 02:04 PM

I've never heard this, and I don't think he is. The Macalope's humor is quite different than Gruber's. And since I only read the Macalope when Gruber links to it, I think I would have noticed the similarities after always reading one after the other like that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2011, 02:05 PM

Who is going to pay $40 bucks a year for MacWorld insider?
Well, if it's going to be anybody, it'll be people who pay the Apple Premium.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2011, 02:22 PM

I thought the Macalope was someone else. I thought they had him on MacBreak weekly both before and after he was unmasked, and I'd think I'd remember if it was Gruber.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 02:29 PM

It's also possible that The Macalope is like Sushi X from EGM's glory days. Not actually any one person, but rather a combination of writers.

P
Oct 12, 2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I thought the Macalope was someone else. I thought they had him on MacBreak weekly both before and after he was unmasked, and I'd think I'd remember if it was Gruber.
Just listened to one of those switching back and forth to the 5by5 podcast. Their voices and styles of speaking are nothing alike. I realize that the voice was disguised in that podcast, but the Macalope has that slight embarrassed giggle every now and then that would be hard to fake. Gruber is almost morose.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2011, 05:17 PM

I think Gruber is a cold, unaffectionate robot.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2011, 04:58 AM

He's also a giant apple fanboy even though he claims not to be.
Does that make him a...

Forum Links
Forum Rules