Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how can i make the Lion finder look like the Snow Leopard finder?

how can i make the Lion finder look like the Snow Leopard finder?
idontlikelionosx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2012, 11:51 PM

Like I asked, how can I make the Lion finder look like the Snow Leopard finder? I really don't like the Lion finder. SOS!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2012, 12:51 AM

Downgrade to OS X 10.6.

-t

idontlikelionosx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2012, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Downgrade to OS X 10.6.

-t
please be more helpful

P
Jan 17, 2012, 04:45 AM

Please specify what in the Lion Finder you would like changed.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2012, 10:25 AM

Yes. The two Finders already look the same to me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2012, 11:29 AM

There's the greyscale sidebar icons, and the AirDrop and All My Documents icons, and the fact that the sidebar has been re-ordered.

But apart from that and a couple new options, the Finder looks pretty much the same, yes.

idontlikelionosx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Please specify what in the Lion Finder you would like changed.
The finder in Lion looks nothing like the finder in Snow Leopard. Is there an option to somehow make the Lion finder look the same as the Snow Leopard?

I will give an example. Yesterday I was installing an update for Mozy. This required a DMG to be mounted and a new, small finder window to open with the Mozy installer, an uninstaller and readme file. When the update was done I wanted to click a button on the top right of the finder in order to expand this small finder into a regular finder. This button no longer exists. I also dislike the color scheme. Can you help, please?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by idontlikelionosx View Post
please be more helpful
My solution will give you 100% what you asked for.

Since you failed to mention *anything* that you DO like about Lion, a downgrade would be sensible.

-t

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2012, 02:57 PM

The finder in Lion looks nothing like the finder in Snow Leopard. Is there an option to somehow make the Lion finder look the same as the Snow Leopard?

I will give an example. Yesterday I was installing an update for Mozy. This required a DMG to be mounted and a new, small finder window to open with the Mozy installer, an uninstaller and readme file. When the update was done I wanted to click a button on the top right of the finder in order to expand this small finder into a regular finder. This button no longer exists. I also dislike the color scheme. Can you help, please?
I think you mean that you wanted the window expanded so that you could see the Toolbar (with the navigation buttons on top and the folder shortcuts on the left). I don't have Lion installed on the computer I am using at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that you can use the keyboard shortcut "option+command+T" and it will bring the Toolbar back (or hide it again).

In the View menu, you can also find the option to turn on the Status Bar (I think that's what it's called), which is the little grey bar at the bottom of windows that tells you how many items are in a folder, etc. (I had a friend complain because he missed this).

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

P
Jan 17, 2012, 04:33 PM

You want to show the toolbar. Easiest is to just right-click the titlebar and show the toolbar from there. You can also do that from the menubar. In the future, when you are looking for a command, start by looking for something similar in the menu bar - or just search the Help.

Your terminology is a little confusing, which may be why you get responses you do not expect. The Finder is the application that you use to work with files. What you call a finder is appropriately called a Finder window.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Miniryu View Post
I think you mean that you wanted the window expanded so that you could see the Toolbar (with the navigation buttons on top and the folder shortcuts on the left). I don't have Lion installed on the computer I am using at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that you can use the keyboard shortcut "option+command+T" and it will bring the Toolbar back (or hide it again).
There used to be the little lozenge at the right-hand end of the windows' title bar.

This has disappeared in Lion.

Huh.

That's irritating. (Though it's not HALF as irritating as the actual function of that lozenge was, back when it was still around.)

I guess it would be useful if Apple just disallowed use of the non-sidebar-non-toolbar window entirely (which I think this omission is a step towards—the only reason the function was included at all is to shut up all the "Give-Us-The-Classic-Finder-Window" 9er Whiners).

idontlikelionosx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
There used to be the little lozenge at the right-hand end of the windows' title bar.

This has disappeared in Lion.

Huh.

That's irritating. (Though it's not HALF as irritating as the actual function of that lozenge was, back when it was still around.)

I guess it would be useful if Apple just disallowed use of the non-sidebar-non-toolbar window entirely (which I think this omission is a step towards—the only reason the function was included at all is to shut up all the "Give-Us-The-Classic-Finder-Window" 9er Whiners).
This is exactly what I mean. I dislike it when Apple has me use something for several years and then radically changes it. I miss that lozenge. I now learned about the opt-cmd-t but it'll take time to memorize it. I tried to customize the toolbar but the lozenge wasn't one of the options.

Another question- how do I get the free disk space to show up on the bottom of the finder windows?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2012, 02:11 AM

Everything you want is in the View menu.
Vandelay Industries

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2012, 02:27 AM

Wow, the Finder "lozenge". Have not used it even ONCE in all those years.

-t

idontlikelionosx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2012, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Wow, the Finder "lozenge". Have not used it even ONCE in all those years.

-t
That makes one of us. I use it with great frequency. Now it's not there.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2012, 03:24 AM

This is exactly what I mean. I dislike it when Apple has me use something for several years and then radically changes it. I miss that lozenge. I now learned about the opt-cmd-t but it'll take time to memorize it. I tried to customize the toolbar but the lozenge wasn't one of the options.

Another question- how do I get the free disk space to show up on the bottom of the finder windows?
Did you ignore my post entirely? I answered your question AND successfully anticipated (and answered) your next question.

I come back to these forums after a few year's hiatus and get NO love anymore.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

idontlikelionosx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2012, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Miniryu View Post
Did you ignore my post entirely? I answered your question AND successfully anticipated (and answered) your next question.

I come back to these forums after a few year's hiatus and get NO love anymore.
??

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2012, 04:55 AM

??
What he said. He not only gave you the key command to quickly switch Finder window modes; he also told you exactly how to add the remaining disk size and number of items to the bottom of the window, BEFORE you asked.

P
Jan 18, 2012, 06:36 AM

The gray flip-button was there as a standard Aqua element back in the developer releases, before the there was a sidebar.

Given Apple's renewed focus on small screens, I seriously doubt that they will stop us removing the sidebar. The gray gunk can waste space on the 27" iMac, I don't really care, but on the 11" MBA it really bugs me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2012, 07:17 AM

The gray flip-button was there as a standard Aqua element back in the developer releases, before the there was a sidebar.
It wasn't added until 10.0.
In DP3, DP4 and the Public Beta, that spot was occupied by the purple single-window-mode button (which, amusingly, is now back in Lion, and which is why the toolbar lozenge had to go).

And the purpose of the lozenge was to hide/show the toolbar—in pretty much any application EXCEPT for Safari, and the Finder.

In the Finder, it completely changed the window appearance by adding/removing the sidebar, which is why I said:
it's not HALF as irritating as the actual function of that lozenge was, back when it was still around.
In addition, pretty much the only time I ever saw it being used was accidentally by people who suddenly had NO idea what was going on, and where all their commands had gone (and, in the case of the Finder, all their disks and documents and applications).

That, and whenever a disk image opened up in "classic" non-toolbar-non-sidebar mode: You need to click on the lozenge to get the list of volumes back to eject it using the eject button.

Which is why I suggested Apple just kill the classic Finder window mode altogether.

Given Apple's renewed focus on small screens, I seriously doubt that they will stop us removing the sidebar. The gray gunk can waste space on the 27" iMac, I don't really care, but on the 11" MBA it really bugs me.
I use 13" machines with a 1280 x 800 resolution, and I'm not bothered by it. I'm much more irritated by the absence of shortcuts than by the wasted space.

But then, I don't spend that much time in the Finder, so YMMV, of course.

P
Jan 18, 2012, 02:40 PM

Now we're getting back in to old well-worn arguments, but I've always felt that the best way to handle the dual nature of the Finder is to have the user pick one mode, once, and make that setting global. They're useful for different things. It may be my prejudices speaking here, but I've always felt that the brushed metal Finder was the "training wheels" version for people who could not remember keyboard commands, use a two button mouse or organize the file hierarchy, but then, it works well if all you do in the Finder is open files (as opposed to organize them).

OTOH, at work I on occasion use the browser mode in Windows because I have to traverse directory trees made by people who seem to get a penny for every folder they make. It always amuses me no end when they run in to that maximum path length bug in Windows.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2012, 03:25 PM

I'm not arguing. I agree with you: people should decide upon one Finder mode. I have no problem with Apple making that choice at this point in favor of the toolbar/sidebar mode, since "people" don't actually MAKE this choice; they use whatever happens by default.

The only problem iMO is that some software distribution channels default to "classic" mode, with no discoverable method of switching back. The lozenge wasn't particularly discoverable either, mind you.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Jan 18, 2012 at 03:37 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules