Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cloud Bookmark Options in 2012

Cloud Bookmark Options in 2012
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2012, 09:50 PM

It's bothered me for a while, but it's only gotten worse with the proliferation of Internet devices I have: I hate all the disparate, per-browser, per-user, per-machine bookmark files I have. I know that MobileMe once had a bookmarks syncing solution that got dropped with the succession to iCloud. I know del.ico was at one point a favorite among some, but I heard they closed down. So am I forever going to have this gripe, or is there a good universal bookmarks cloud solution? What I'm looking for most is a solution that integrates as seamlessly as possible into my browsers.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2012, 09:52 PM

Uhm, Xmarksworks for me. Not sure if that qualifies for "Cloud" solution.

-t

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2012, 10:10 PM

iCloud still syncs Safari bookmarks.
Vandelay Industries

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
iCloud still syncs Safari bookmarks.
Yes, but not across multiple Macs with different Apple IDs.

That's what I use Xmarks for.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2012, 10:27 PM

This is built into Chrome.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
This is built into Chrome.
True, but I read the OP as requiring a solution that includes iOS. Admittedly, this is an assumption on my part.

Big Mac, what "Internet devices" are you referring to exactly?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I know that MobileMe once had a bookmarks syncing solution that got dropped with the succession to iCloud.
No, it didn't!

It never stopped working and has been flawless for me across a total of five Macs and two iPhones I've owned since the functionality was introduced.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2012, 12:16 PM

I think that the MobileMe bookmarks syncing will be dropped when the transition to iCloud is complete later this year.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I think that the MobileMe bookmarks syncing will be dropped when the transition to iCloud is complete later this year.
Nope.

Apple - iCloud - Your info up to date on all your devices.

Still there.

macman7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2012, 11:14 PM

Personally, I use marklet for this (Marklet). It lets you import your bookmarks from any browser, then basically hosts them in the cloud for you and organizes them in to a home page / start page of sorts. It works on every mobile browser, and there's even browser extensions for chrome, firefox, and safari.

I originally got it for the cloud-based bookmarking, but I actually find myself using it more for the home page functionality now. Works well in either case. I have it on my Mac Pro, gaming PC, iphone, and ipad.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2012, 12:31 AM

Xmarks

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2012, 07:26 AM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2012, 08:21 AM

Never had any issues with Bookmark syncing, and I've been a iTools/.Mac/MobileMe/iCloud user since day one, twelve (?) years ago.

Always been Mac-only, though.

Oh, also, the article claims that Bookmark syncing is mentioned nowhere in Apple's iCloud literature. Wrong.
Apple - iCloud - Your info up to date on all your devices.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2012, 09:05 AM

Thank you for the info and very informative Apple fact checking as usual, SH. I'm glad iCloud's promotional materials do mention bookmark syncing. The only problem for me is, Firefox, not Safari, is my primary browser nowadays, except on my iDevices. I wonder if there could be an Add-On that would bring iCloud bookmark syncing to it.

I-ku-u
Mar 30, 2012, 11:36 AM

Big Mac is asking for a universal solution to syncing bookmarks, which is likely to not exist, ever.

The reason for this is the "cloud" needs to store not just the existence of a bookmark and the name associated with it, but also where and how the browser makes the bookmark available to you. Safari, for example, has the bookmarks bar, the bookmarks menu and "show all bookmarks" page, which is a superset of those two plus others that aren't in either.

It's very unlikely that the various browser vendors will try to agree on some standard for describing bookmark locations that would resolve the issue because doing so would constrain them from coming up with new ideas - they'd have to get support from the standard to show bookmarks in their new way in order to avoid customer annoyance when the bookmarks associated with the new method don't sync properly, and customers would be annoyed when another browser vendor came up with a new format that they themselves don't support yet. Lots of effort for little returned value.

A third party developer might be able to kludge support for such a feature, but as has already been mentioned, they can't then provide support for iOS, unless Apple makes significant changes to iOS specifically to support such a thing. This is unlikely - would you want a third party app to be able silently to modify your iPad's bookmarks? Some permission regime would have to be put in place, again with little to no benefit for Apple.

XMarks has been mentioned, and according to their website, they only support four desktop browsers, granted the most popular 4, but it's still not universal, as the poster originally asked for. If it were easy, they'd have support for Opera and Camino and any others too.

Of course, this is just how I understand the current situation. "Always in motion is the future..."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The only problem for me is, Firefox, not Safari, is my primary browser nowadays
Thankfully, this is a problem easily solved.

Glad to be of service.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 12:43 PM

Thoughtful analysis by I-ku-u. Really it looks like XMarks is what I'm looking for - it seems like the universal bookmarks solution. I'm amazed I had not heard about it until now.

Now I have to go through and work on getting my bookmarks in shape!

macman7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by I-ku-u View Post
Big Mac is asking for a universal solution to syncing bookmarks, which is likely to not exist, ever.
In the traditional "bookmark" sense, that is true. However, the way marklet does it, it does work in every browser (including every mobile browser). It's a slightly different approach.

jinnydor632
Banned
Apr 9, 2012, 07:24 PM

I like using Xmarks. Works great for me across 2 macs, 1 windows PC, iphone and ipad.

I have xmarks syncing with my Safari on my primary computer (MBA), which then syncs with my phone and ipad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules