Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Losing Space on SSD?

Losing Space on SSD?
Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2012, 06:53 AM

Hey, all, I'm not sure what's going on, but OS X seems to be eating through my SSD pretty quickly. I've got all my Apps (about 14 gigs) and my desktop on it, but all my music and videos and torrents all go on a secondary 500 gig HDD.

The drive is 120 gigs
OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 2.5" SSD - OCZ

And I'm currently showing only 27 gigs available, despite having only my system, apps and desktop on it. (There's a few gigs on the desktop mostly because of a large iBooks Author file)

I just deleted a file that was over a gig but the estimate in the Finder window didn't change at all.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2012, 07:03 AM

ok apparently this is in a secret local time machine backup. It's funny because I actually noticed that Time Machine was actually working even if I wasn't connected to my external drive, and I was like, "Oh Apple, you're so clever!" But then I realized it was eating up more of my boot drive than my files! Apparently:

sudo tmutil disablelocal

Kills it! I'm running the command now and am already seeing my space come back. I connect to a Time Machine backup regularly so this isn't a bad idea. Apparently Apple is doing this in general on all their laptops. Wish they'd allow for a configuration in system prefs or something!

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2012, 07:25 AM

Correction, I saved a few gigs, I'm back to 31 available but I think I'm still missing around 60 gigs!

reader50
Administrator
Feb 17, 2012, 01:23 PM

Run omnidisksweeper from the root account, see where the space went. And check Disk Utility to see what your SSD partition size is. There may be an extra partition swiping the space.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2012, 01:48 PM

Disk Utility gives me the correct size, and Omni Disk Sweep seems to have no clue what happened to it all.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 17, 2012, 01:50 PM

ODS can only see the parts of the file tree your account is allowed to see. That's why you have to run it from root to find hidden space. It sounds like your lost space is not in your user account, nor in public folders you can reach.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2012, 02:46 PM

OK so how do I run it as root?

Any idea what could be hogging the space? I only got this SSD at Christmas.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 17, 2012, 07:19 PM

Use Apple's instructions to enable the root user. Then log in as the root user, and run OmniDiskSweeper. It will take longer, since it can see the entire disk now.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2012, 03:48 AM

I'm pretty confident I'm running it as root and Omni Disk Sweep is showing 39.9 gigs used, the Finder shows 80. I'm kinda wishing I hadn't deleted local snapshots since those were cool. I'm debating just wiping the HDD and reformatting.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2012, 04:23 AM

OK, so I restarted and then noticed the big OTHER so I logged in as root, ran Omni Disk Sweeper, and boom I found a big ass folder with something called Chunk Storage. It's gone and I'm happy!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 07:09 AM

I believe you just SUBSTANTIALLY slowed down your SSD.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Use Apple's instructions to enable the root user. Then log in as the root user, and run OmniDiskSweeper. It will take longer, since it can see the entire disk now.

For future reference, isn't this the same as:

sudo open /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app ?

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I don't notice a difference. What was that file for? I imagine if I just reformatted I could get it back or something.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 19, 2012, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post

It might be, assuming he's comfortable with Terminal-fu, and assuming it will work without first enabling root. Including giving root a password.

Firmware level functions of the SSD shouldn't be in the filesystem, which is what you might be thinking of? The only things he can reach are files, so he probably found the local backup for real and ditched the abandoned files.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 04:18 PM

Does this happen at the file-system level?

http://storageconference.org/2010/Pa...ST/Meister.pdf

(no, I haven't read through the entire thing.)

Otherwise, hm. MineCraft?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2012, 04:24 PM

Are you using Lion? It has that new revision tracking system.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Are you using Lion? It has that new revision tracking system.
Which I believe he disabled in around post 2 in this thread?

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2012, 04:59 PM

Yeah that's been disabled.

Also I tried to open Omni Disk Sweeper from the terminal but it didn't seem to actually run as root, it only worked once I did actually log in as root.

Also, what's with Apple pushing iTunes to the freaking end of the dock?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Also, what's with Apple pushing iTunes to the freaking end of the dock?
Never seen that happen.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2012, 05:44 PM

Check out in Lion, in all the screen shots they're positioning iTunes near the right hand side of the dock, AKA the stuff where you put the less important stuff.

To be honest while I appreciate having a separate app for reminders, notes and calendar, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better to have one app called Organizer?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 05:47 PM

To be honest while I appreciate having a separate app for reminders, notes and calendar, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better to have one app called Organizer?
No, no, no, no, NO!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 05:49 PM

Check out in Lion, in all the screen shots they're positioning iTunes near the right hand side of the dock, AKA the stuff where you put the less important stuff.
Oh. I thought you had some sort of issue.

Never mind, I'll just ignore that you believe that Apple considers the Mac App Store and System Preferences less relevant than iTunes, which it groups with iPhoto in their product preview screenshots.

Carry on.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It might be, assuming he's comfortable with Terminal-fu, and assuming it will work without first enabling root. Including giving root a password.
sudo doesn't require enabling root, which is partially why I thought the solution would be more manageable. Sudo requires an entry in /etc/sudoers as follows, which should be there by default for all admins:

%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 06:04 PM

No, no, no, no, NO!
I might be in favor of merging reminders and notes into a single app though, those seem logically connected.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 06:06 PM

Do you think this matter a great deal to a significant number of people?

Not a leading question, I don't really know how many people never figure out that they can change their dock contents and move stuff around.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2012, 06:48 PM

Honestly I'd say most of the non nerds I know have no idea how to change their dock around. I talk to a pretty broad sample of Mac users at work simply because our default email settings for the ISP I work for are less than idea due to wanting to control spam. (Email traffic to our servers can only go over port 25 with no SSL) And nearly all of them have no idea how to change around the dock.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 06:56 PM

Honestly I'd say most of the non nerds I know have no idea how to change their dock around. I talk to a pretty broad sample of Mac users at work simply because our default email settings for the ISP I work for are less than idea due to wanting to control spam. (Email traffic to our servers can only go over port 25 with no SSL) And nearly all of them have no idea how to change around the dock.

I see, thanks for this.

Technically though, just FYI, not requiring SSL and using the standard port 25 does not really invite more spam, as most/all spam systems to not revolve around packet sniffing and obtaining passwords. Requiring SSL is a better internal security policy, and whether port 25 or 587 is used is pretty much irrelevant. Port 25 will need to be open anyway on the SMTP servers, port 587 (the submission port), is just sort of an optional addition to an email system to work around some firewall rules and to allow isolating this traffic and separating it from traffic coming in from the outside world for resource allocation, analysis, etc.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 06:59 PM

Honestly I'd say most of the non nerds I know have no idea how to change their dock around.
And having iTunes at the right end of the Dock is confusing/problematic to these people because...?

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2012, 09:26 PM

The english speaking eye starts left to right. Most frequently used icons should be on the left.

Also yeah I don't exactly think our email people know what they're doing, half the time it just seems like excuses. Though I think I might have single handedly complained to enough VPs to get somebody to fix it because I haven't seen any of the same issues as we were having. I think they've opened up port 586 (Mail sometimes just got stuck on it and wouldn't work, changing it to custom port 25 worked but it was a bitch to walk old people through.)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2012, 09:36 PM

It'r more important that the icons never move once the user has them how they want them. Otherwise you mess up muscle memory.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2012, 09:42 PM

The english speaking eye
Thank you; this will be my phrase for the week.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2012, 01:03 AM

The english speaking eye starts left to right. Most frequently used icons should be on the left.

Also yeah I don't exactly think our email people know what they're doing, half the time it just seems like excuses. Though I think I might have single handedly complained to enough VPs to get somebody to fix it because I haven't seen any of the same issues as we were having. I think they've opened up port 586 (Mail sometimes just got stuck on it and wouldn't work, changing it to custom port 25 worked but it was a bitch to walk old people through.)

You mean port 587?

There is a certain genius behind ISPs offering email service and getting novice users locked into the email address provided by the ISP, but ISP email service is almost always shitty these days, at least down here in America. Many seem to only offer POP.

I wonder if the major ISPs have ever considered making other apps that lock you into their stuff, or at least encourage users to stick with their service? Maybe something like Basecamp subscriptions, a subscription to a CRM, something like that? I guess these two examples are useful to businesses only, but what about MS Office licenses, MMORPG subscriptions, Netflix, etc.?

I suppose that in many areas this doesn't make sense because ISPs have a monopoly, which is unfortunate.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2012, 02:23 AM

Honestly yeah we just run POP and it's generally the bane of everyone's existence. But it does help keep some customers from switching. They've also got a lot of "value adds" the problem is that most of them can't beat the other free services offered by Google, Apple or Microsoft so there's not much reason to improve them.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post

No. That just has root execute the open command. The open command still launches the app in the logged in user's session. This is what you need to have it run as root.

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/Mac/OmniDiskSweeper
Vandelay Industries

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
No. That just has root execute the open command. The open command still launches the app in the logged in user's session. This is what you need to have it run as root.

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/Mac/OmniDiskSweeper

Cool, just like an X11 based system then, except of course you exec the app within the bundle...

How is the "open" command useful then? Does the open command basically figure out what to exec in the application bundle?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2012, 06:48 PM

The open command does the same thing as double-clicking an item in the Finder. So, it relies on LaunchServices.
Vandelay Industries

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2012, 09:54 PM

OK so did I actually screw up my SSD with deleting that chunk storage thing? Everything seems fine now.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2012, 10:12 PM

Was that ChunkStorage folder in the .DocumentRevisions-V100 folder at the root of your drive? If yes, you deleted all the past versions of your documents.
Vandelay Industries

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2012, 08:57 AM

Versions as in, like the OS X feature? And yeah that's where it was. If so that's not a big deal at all. A, Time Machine has em, and B I rarely use Versions, C I don't save unless I have what I want to begin with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules