Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New App Store Behaviour

New App Store Behaviour
Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2012, 04:13 PM

I checked the Mac App Store for new updates earlier today and when I tried the Purchases tab I found an additional box at the top telling me that I had 3 apps to accept (iPhoto, Garageband and iMovie). It said that to receive future updates the bundled apps will be assigned to my Apple ID.

When I tried to accept them the process failed and when I have tried since I have not seen the same behaviour. I took a grab of the window but can't post it in here directly.

I guess that this is in preparation for 10.8 as all software updates are moving into App Store. As it is not appearing again I assume that I should not have seen it yet.

Happy to put up the image if someone tells me how.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2012, 08:44 PM

I was informed of this update to iPhoto today.

I wasn't charged for this, despite....

Updated iPhoto

It's not a programme I use anyway, I much prefer GraphicConverter, which I have used for years.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To put up image
Use
http://imageshack.us/

--------------------
Copy & Use forum code for pic upload...

Delete this bit
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Jun 11, 2012 at 09:00 PM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Jonesy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2012, 02:30 PM

OK so here is the grab from the App Store page (I hope)

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2012, 02:45 PM

App store gave me iMovie 9.0.6 today as an update.

Again free, as far as I can see.

I received an email in response to my query, they implied there was no charge, for myself anyway.

It also included this :...
I have done some research and found that items that were free when you downloaded them will no longer appear on iTunes Store invoices. This includes free songs, videos, apps, and books, as well as application updates and re-downloaded apps and books.
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Jun 12, 2012 at 02:53 PM. )

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2012, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
OK so here is the grab from the App Store page (I hope)

That is not a new behavior. That happens when you acquire a new Mac. Every Mac comes with a license for iLife. Instead of bundling the apps with the computer, they let you download the ones you want.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2012, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
App store gave me iMovie 9.0.6 today as an update.

Again free, as far as I can see.

I received an email in response to my query, they implied there was no charge, for myself anyway.
Updates are free.
Vandelay Industries

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2012, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Updates are free.
I was confused by this information page, indicating a charge.

I know this is the new system, TBH I preferred the old one --- Software Update...

My iMac is now 119 days old.
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Jun 13, 2012 at 01:56 AM. )

Jonesy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2012, 01:44 AM

That is not a new behavior. That happens when you acquire a new Mac. Every Mac comes with a license for iLife. Instead of bundling the apps with the computer, they let you download the ones you want.
Odd then that this appears for me for the first on a 1 year old MacBook Pro. It will surely have to be done for all up to date iLife users when the App Store becomes the only source for your automatic software updates. Hopefully this will be extended to other apps from 3rd party developers bought outside App Store. I have quite a few which I cannot update on the App store as they were bought before it existed and have to be updated manually.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Odd then that this appears for me for the first on a 1 year old MacBook Pro. It will surely have to be done for all up to date iLife users when the App Store becomes the only source for your automatic software updates. Hopefully this will be extended to other apps from 3rd party developers bought outside App Store. I have quite a few which I cannot update on the App store as they were bought before it existed and have to be updated manually.
Have you never gone to that page in the App Store before?

ML's App Store bundles the now separate Software Update function into it. It's not turning everything into an App Store style app. It's just uniting the two separate OS functions into one app. 3rd party apps not purchased from the App Store will still have to rely on their own update mechanisms.

People that own the non-App Store versions of iLife and have it installed already, will not see that. They will continue to get the Software Update style patches as they do now. The only change is that Software Update patches will be presented in the Updates page of App Store now.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
I was confused by this information page, indicating a charge.

I know this is the new system, TBH I preferred the old one --- Software Update...
That's the standard info panel that everyone sees. It does not change whether you own it already or not. The item that changes is the Buy button. If you own it, it changes to Install or Installed.
Vandelay Industries

Jonesy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2012, 03:20 PM

Have you never gone to that page in the App Store before?

ML's App Store bundles the now separate Software Update function into it. It's not turning everything into an App Store style app. It's just uniting the two separate OS functions into one app. 3rd party apps not purchased from the App Store will still have to rely on their own update mechanisms.

People that own the non-App Store versions of iLife and have it installed already, will not see that. They will continue to get the Software Update style patches as they do now. The only change is that Software Update patches will be presented in the Updates page of App Store now.
Of course I have been to the page on the App Store before. If I had not then why would I have commented on the odd behaviour. I installed the non-App Store iLife software and now I have seen the message for the first time on the day of WWDC. In the past these applications have appeared in the App Store with a price against them and there has been no recognition by the App Store that they are on my machine. Suddenly on that occasion they are there.

Under "ML" if the App Store will take over the software update functions then how will users get updates to non-App Store iLife apps? Software update is gone. App Store will have to take over that function or users will have to install them manually. It would be helpful, and typical of Apple, to bring those apps into the App Store for updating purposes.

I do not claim to know Apple's plans. I thought that it was unusual to see this and worth posting. Of course, if you have insider knowledge then please set me straight.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2012, 03:32 PM

Software Update is not gone, it's just been rolled into App Store'd updates page in ML. Software Update is still in the Apple menu, it just opens the App Store updates page instead and uses that UI for checking for updates. When Apple updates Java or issues a security update, it will be seen in the updates page in App Store. These aren't App Store apps, they won't be seen as a browsable item in the App Store. It's simply just uniting two separate update processes into one program which is better in the long run. Try explaining to your grandmother why she would use two separate update apps to update Apple software.

As for what you experienced... you didn't mention that you already had iLife. So, maybe you saw a glitch and that's why it's not there anymore. Or maybe they will switch over all iLife 11 users to the MAS versions and you mistakenly got the offer before it was ready to be rolled out, much like the new iCloud features were appearing to some users on icloud.com by mistake.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules