Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WWDC MMXIII prognosis: unified iOSXI; end of cats

WWDC MMXIII prognosis: unified iOSXI; end of cats
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2013, 01:59 PM

1. Acknowledge that iPhones and iPads have cannibalized sales of all consumer PCs and Macs will cater to the niche of creativity/productivity, either professional or hobbyist.
2. New iOS 7 is a subset of OSXI, or iOS 7 runs on Macs with OSX compatibility environment.
3. iPhone and iPad apps will run on Macs too, triple-FAT binaries
4. New MacBooks will have touch sensors and all-band LTE modem
5. The WWDC logo is a tall stack of App icons, representing the multiplying effect of running iOS apps in Macs.
6. Cats and skeumorphism killed forever.
7. Windows pundits will claim that OSXI is copying Windows 8.
8. Disappointing Mac specification/speed upgrades.
9. No iTV or iWatch. AAPL stock dips to $275.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2013, 02:17 PM

Except for 8 and 9 and new macBooks (unlikely but possibly) having LTE (but not released at WWDC), that's complete and utter hogwash.

Well, you're bound to find some moron somewhere that will claim that Apple is copying anything, from Windows to the Palm Treo.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2013, 04:20 PM

I have this gut feeling Godfather's track record on predictions is less than stellar.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2013, 04:26 PM

iOS 7 is the obvious conclusion; I could also see some major redesign of the tv interface. I don't think apps for tv are likely, but Apple has been playing around with the interface for some time; under Jony Ive I believe that they are ready to craft a user experience that they will actually be proud of.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2013, 05:12 PM

Uncharacteristically, Apple has already said they are revealing both iOS 7 and the next version of OS X.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2013, 10:57 PM

iPhone and iPad apps will run on Macs too, triple-FAT binaries
No need for FAT binaries. They already have an iOS simulator for developers that runs on Macs. But I have no expectation this will happen for consumers.

You know what I would love to see? A way for developers to sell Dashboard widgets thru the Mac App Store. Without a revenue stream, Dashboard has basically died, and that's a shame. If Apple made it easy to repackage iOS apps as Dashboard widgets, that would be brilliant.

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Uncharacteristically, Apple has already said they are revealing both iOS 7 and the next version of OS X.
Didn't Apple commit to simultaneous OS releases last year?

I'm pretty confident the new Mac Pro will be announced, regardless of what Tim Cook said recently. I can totally see Apple announcing the features of the new Mac Pro while not making them available for sale until the fall.

OreoCookie
Apr 27, 2013, 11:42 AM

I predict the next versions of iOS and OS X will be 7 and 10.9.

On a more serious note, am I the only one who thinks that the invitation is a hint of things to come? The choice of font and weight in particular has piqued my curiosity.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2013, 11:48 AM

Yup.

Not exactly white/black Myriad on white/black background.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2013, 11:49 AM

OTOH, the cyan and magenta is very physical media. WTF?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I predict the next versions of iOS and OS X will be 7 and 10.9.

On a more serious note, am I the only one who thinks that the invitation is a hint of things to come? The choice of font and weight in particular has piqued my curiosity.
Interesting. One of the big limitations on iOS (IMO) is the complete inability to work with any fonts beyond the default ones, and those contained within individual apps.

Hmm.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2013, 12:43 AM

Convergence is definitely coming, but I think that'll be next year. My main reason for thinking this is that Mac OS X 10.10 seems a bit unwieldy, so we'll get 10.9 this year, and OS11 next year.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2013, 12:59 AM

I fondly remember discussions back when I joined about how long people thought it would take for Apple to move through the X point revisions.

And whether the newest build was snappy.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2013, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
No need for FAT binaries. They already have an iOS simulator for developers that runs on Macs.
The iOS sim runs x86 code, not ARM; it's a simulator not an emulator. You'd need a fat binary for an app to run on x86 Macs and ARM iDevices.

Or switch Macs to ARM.
Or switch iDevices to x86.
Or write an emulator.

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2013, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Convergence is definitely coming, but I think that'll be next year. My main reason for thinking this is that Mac OS X 10.10 seems a bit unwieldy, so we'll get 10.9 this year, and OS11 next year.
I don't think convergence is coming at all, if Apple has had any lingering doubt about their strategy of keeping two OSes instead of converging iOS and OS X into one, they need not look no further than Windows 8.

(1) If you think about the biggest obstacle iOS faces, it is »file« management and how to share documents between devices (including non-iOS devices), users and apps. Arguably these two are intimately related.
(2) The second thing Apple should push for is an international standard revolving around Facetime or something Facetime-like. They should get Google and Microsoft on board for this as well.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2013, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I don't think convergence is coming at all, if Apple has had any lingering doubt about their strategy of keeping two OSes instead of converging iOS and OS X into one, they need not look no further than Windows 8.
Isn't Apple SOP taking shit Microsoft ****s up and fixing it?

As far as the file system goes, it's iCloud. Get used to it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2013, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Exactly the other way round, actually.
iCloud isn't done yet. Not by a long shot. Hopefully.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2013, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Exactly the other way round, actually.
What are you thinking of when you say that?

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
iCloud isn't done yet. Not by a long shot.
Yup.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2013, 05:29 AM

Microsoft's MO is to take stuff that Apple made work, and **** it up, either politically or technically.

Graphical interfaces. Windows. Online music sales (PlaysForSure). The Zune. The multitouch computing interface (the jury's still out, but it ain't looking good). We'll leave out the Kin, because that didn't come from Apple.

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2013, 06:00 AM

No, I don't think so.
Windows 8 is Microsoft's reaction to the iPad, so it'd be the other way around. Apple has repeatedly and consistently said that they don't think Microsoft's strategy of convergence is the way to go and so far, they have executed on it rather successfully.
iCloud is an umbrella term and file/database/settings syncing is only a small part of it. And

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2013, 02:05 PM

I'm not going to deny Microsoft copies Apple ("MS... Start Your Photocopiers!), but there's absolutely a history of Microsoft trying something first, not getting it right, and then Apple fixes it.

Tablets are the obvious example. MS tried that for a decade.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2013, 02:22 PM

That's about it, though.

(And they didn't really try for the same thing, at all. It's kind of like claiming that Apple based their iPhone on Windows Mobile.)

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2013, 02:32 PM

Windows Mobile!

There's another example!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2013, 04:08 PM

I'd be pleased if the Mac Pro replacement was announced. I also think developers are among the target market that might still make good use of it to speed up their compiling.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2013, 05:04 PM

As others have mentioned I think that they might announce UIKit for Mac. As happened in the Carbon to Cocoa transition we'd still have AppKit but developers would be encouraged to use UIKit.

They aren't that different. UIKit is just a fresh rethink and refactoring of AppKit to remove decades of bloated API and creep.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2013, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I have this gut feeling Godfather's track record on predictions is less than stellar.
Apple has had more man-hours than any other inter-product lapse... Therefore, any conservative prediction is much less likely...

Mac Elite
May 23, 2013, 03:00 AM

I've been digging around in Core Storage a bit, it has a lot of potential. Perhaps they will add some of the things that made ZFS nice, perhaps ZFS-style checksums. That is probably the thing that I want most in a desktop filesystem.

OreoCookie
May 23, 2013, 03:54 AM

It does and since it abstracts things quite a bit, it may make a transition away from HFS+ doable and transparent for most apps. It's time to take HFS+ by the hand behind the shed and shoot it.

I hope that Apple finally gets its act together and writes a new filesystem from the ground up aimed squarely at SSDs.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2013, 04:08 PM

Apple has no excuse, none whatsoever to fail to include the best available file system.
It is all this eyecandy and awesome features that we may theorize over being introduced or not. It is a highly subjective matter, depending on millions of hours of focus group studies, and, perhaps more frustratingly, waiting on the competition to fail and burn in the attempt.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2013, 05:00 PM

Yeah. No excuse whatsoever.

If only one existed that was substantially better and actually ready for use, you could actually wad up all your clueless outrage and fling it at a real-life target.

I'm not really that deep into the subject, but my understanding is that there is pretty much no single piece of architecture that is more mission-critical and is less error-tolerant than a file system. That absolutely needs to be 100% bug-free reliable before it can even be considered as a new foundation to adapt your operating system onto.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2013, 10:51 AM

8 days before the event, I still think that my 9 points will hold up.

It can't be any other way.

Most importantly: no iWatch.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Most importantly: no iWatch.
That is the only point we're in agreement upon, and the only one* that will be even remotely accurate.

*) Except perhaps the cat naming convention, which is completely irrelevant.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
If PPC->x86 rumors had leaked, everybody would have said it would take Apple until 2008 to release the first intel Mac, yet the whole transition was made from 2005 to 2006.

The same way, Mountain Lion is the last cat, and its non-skeumorphic replacements have been in skunkworks since October 2011. Expect touch and Siri obsoleting the Mac you have now, forcing you to upgrade to the new-Coke-flavored OS.

Prediction number 10, just for the fun of it and no weight on this one: the return of a TV ad campaign as catchy and ubiquitous as Hodgman and Long, but pit the new Apple OS with a stumbling Android.
( Last edited by The Godfather; Jun 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2013, 11:29 AM

If PPC->x86 rumors had leaked, everybody would have said it would take Apple until 2008 to release the first intel Mac, yet the whole transition was made from 2005 to 2006.
Project Marklar had been rumored since 2002:
Marklar - x86 OS X - Mac Rumors

But agreed, it went much faster than everybody expected, although the software ports lagged for years *ahem*Adobe*ahem*.

Also, the systems will not merge, but that discussion's been done to death, so I won't rehash my reasons for believing so here.

The same way, Mountain Lion is the last cat, and its non-skeumorphic replacements have been in skunkworks since October 2011. Expect touch and Siri obsoleting the Mac you have now.

If the evolution of Siri over the past two years is anything to go by, we're at least five to ten years from any sensible voice control. It's ****ing useless in any language other than English, and even there, it's pretty damn spotty.

Also, skeuomorphism isn't going anywhere. What is going away are leather textures and stitches and felt gaming tables. Skeuomorphism includes things like draggable sliders and buttons that appear depressable.

Prediction number 10, just for the fun of it and no weight on this one: the return of a TV ad campaign as catchy and ubiquitous as Hodgman and Long, but pit the new Apple OS with a stumbling Android.
This would be funny, but it's not going to happen. Apple does not need underdog marketing, and, being the best seller on the touch mobile market by far, using a similar tack would not be seen as anything other than arrogant.

Much better to continue along the lines of their current feel-good marketing, like the recent Music ad (which is brilliant).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2013, 11:30 AM

No iWatch means it'll be a good time to short AAPL again.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2013, 07:43 AM

WWDC bingo drinking game

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2013, 01:35 PM

Banner and graphics are going up, one of them is a big 7, very minimal looking. Minimalist iOS 7 Banner Goes Up at Moscone West for WWDC 2013 - Mac Rumors

Thin font weight, white backgrounds. I wonder if that grille texture has much to do with anything.

There's an X banner up now, with a blue green liquid wave image and the same thin Helvetica font.
( Last edited by ajprice; Jun 8, 2013 at 06:20 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2013, 03:04 PM

Does anyone think we'll see Siri API made available to third parties next week?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2013, 07:03 AM

The Apple Events channel is up on Apple TV for a live stream video of the event .
Apple to Stream Live Video of WWDC 2013 Keynote to Apple TV - Mac Rumors

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2013, 10:46 AM

hopefully this'll be an exciting event today!

I predict:

Sea Lion - integrating iOS and OS X into one huge unusable sloppy mess... just kidding.

I imagine the same old same old - except flatter, faster and more attractive looking.
If it's not, I'll keep with 10.6.8 on my main machine, L and ML on non critical machines.

I do hope for a MacPro update, and maybe a new iPad. MB a new iPhone? Ya never know.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2013, 12:57 PM

The stream is running on Apple TV now

Apple - Apple Events - WWDC 2013 Keynote

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2013, 01:09 PM

"available shortly"

engadget feed:

Apple WWDC 2013 liveblog!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
hopefully this'll be an exciting event today!

I predict:

Sea Lion - integrating iOS and OS X into one huge unusable sloppy mess... just kidding.

I imagine the same old same old - except flatter, faster and more attractive looking.
If it's not, I'll keep with 10.6.8 on my main machine, L and ML on non critical machines.

I do hope for a MacPro update, and maybe a new iPad. MB a new iPhone? Ya never know.
They read MacNN

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2013, 01:25 PM

I thought OSX: Grumpy Cat was rather clever.

tabs: cool.

tags: meh.

Was maverick an engadget joke?
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jun 10, 2013 at 01:35 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
They read MacNN
Good. Hey guys, read this: No new Mac Pro and I'm dumping the platform for development. Got that? I'm done juggling Win 7 and OS X on a high-end hackintosh. Give us more powerful tools or GTFO of the high-end game. That is all.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2013, 01:41 PM

No, I think they're naming it after California beaches. Ooo, we could see the return of Pismo.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2013, 01:44 PM

"No virtual cows were harmed..." hello Mr Forstall...

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2013, 02:04 PM

WTF is up with the new Mac Pro!?!?! It looks like something from an alien spaceship.

I WANT.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2013, 02:05 PM

Backlit ports. That's bananas!

I guess they're using their new manufacturing plant. This is exciting.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2013, 02:06 PM

Looks like Shaddim's getting a new toy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2013, 02:53 PM

I was just about to declare Apple dead for the stupid OS name, but this new Pro has some potential.

First question. Can I rackmount it without a bandsaw?

Forum Links
Forum Rules