Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What brand of headphones do you use?

What brand of headphones do you use?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 10:56 AM

My primary set were a pair of Koss TD-65 headphones back in the day until Apple's iPod iPhone took over. I got a pair of Boss on-ear headphones a couple of years ago for work, and was somewhat disappointed for the price i paid for it (They sound good, but not worth the price).

I think my favorite would have to be Koss. What kind do you use/recommend?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 3, 2013, 11:37 AM

Still using Koss Pro 4 AA's.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
May 3, 2013, 12:00 PM

LOVE my Sony MDR7506 Professional Grade STUDIO headphones... and it's no gimmick, they are very very common is professional audio studios...

Why use anything other then what the person who is mastering the record you are listening to?

you can get a set for about ~$80

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2013, 12:01 PM

I'll probably be made fun of for this, but I really like Apple's EarPods.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 3, 2013, 12:25 PM

I find Apples earPods are just the right balance of listenable quality and not too annoyed when I loose them-ability
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2013, 01:16 PM

I second the Sony MDR 7506, but I also really enjoy my Klipsch Image S4i II IEMs for bike riding, etc.
ebuddy

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I'll probably be made fun of for this, but I really like Apple's EarPods.
Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I find Apples earPods are just the right balance of listenable quality and not too annoyed when I loose them-ability
Agreed.

In the studio, I'm mostly on Sennheiser HD 580s, but I don't really use them for mixing or listening to music.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
That and I'm not worried about them if they are being thrown around and nonsuch. And I think the audio quality is much, much better than the old headphones.

Thorzdad
May 3, 2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I second the Sony MDR 7506, but I also really enjoy my Klipsch Image S4i II IEMs for bike riding, etc.
I'd like to hear more about those Klipsch S4i's. I'm in the market for new "mowing the lawn" earphones. I sort of need to limit my purchase to what's in the Apple store, though, and those look attractive. But, I'm a bit leery on dropping $100 on them.

How's the bass and mid-range?

P
May 3, 2013, 02:19 PM

For the iPhone when I'm out and about, Sennheiser i300. For when I'm at home or flying, Audio Technica AC7 noise canceling.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2013, 03:19 PM

God... I hate headphones.

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II for in the field. I don't like them.

AKG K702 for not in the field. I don't like them either, though they're sorta comfortable.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 06:28 PM

I'm not an audio snob by any stretch, but I am a big fan of the V-Moda headphones I got a few years ago with a coupon (they were $60 rather than the $200 MSRP). If you do some searching you can find some pretty good promotions for their products.

I also have a pair of Bluetooth headphones I got on DX.com that are surprisingly good for the value. I use those with anything that has BT now.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2013, 11:34 PM

Stax (SR-009s, SR-007 Mk1s, Omega Mk1s, Lambda Pros, and 4070s), Sennheiser (HD650s and HD800s), Koss ESP/950s, Grado (HP-1000s, RS-1s), Fit-Ear PS5s, and several others. I'm really fond of e-stat `phones, as you can tell, they're just superior in nearly every way. Except on the go, for that nothing beats custom IEMs.

LiveWire products

You can order a triple driver custom for $400, and that's the best price I've seen anywhere.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2013, 11:54 PM

Do you like the 650s? I heard they aren't flat as the 600s or 800s.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2013, 12:28 AM

They aren't, they're a little on the warm side, but their mids are creamy smooth. At one time they were more relaxed than they are now, but Sennheiser redesigned the baffle and went to a slightly more rigid driver, and that sharpened them up a bit.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2013, 12:46 AM

Would you pick it over the 800?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2013, 01:22 AM

Heavens no, the big Senns are the gold standard for open-dynamic cans. But, they're also very picky about sources and amplifiers, since they're so detailed, they magnify any tiny defect. If you can hear a minor bit of distortion or hum through the 650s, on the 800s it'll leap out and smack you. Luckily, from a cost perspective, that's not the issue it once was, since there are some really good low-priced amps now. Schiit makes a combo for $200 that will drive them just fine. The 650s you can get away with attaching a 1/8" adapter and plugging them into your iPhone, they'll sound okay, not a chance with the 800s.
- Thomas Paine

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I'd like to hear more about those Klipsch S4i's. I'm in the market for new "mowing the lawn" earphones. I sort of need to limit my purchase to what's in the Apple store, though, and those look attractive. But, I'm a bit leery on dropping $100 on them.

How's the bass and mid-range?
I know what you mean on the $100. I was a little concerned about them at first as they're rated range is 10Hz - 19kHz which for an IEM to me seemed "gimmicky" on the low end. I mean, I've got a Yamaha 18" long-throw subwoofer in my studio that's rated down to 30Hz for crying out loud, but I gave the S4i's a shot. They are in fact a smidgen bass heavy, but the mids and highs actually ring through quite well. Surprisingly clear sound. I'd say they give the B&O A8s that I used to have before they were stolen at the gym a run for the money. (though the A8s are not in-ear, they're about $60 more and had relatively poor low-end IMO) Our band has actually used the S4i's for monitoring once at an outdoor gig. We all have them. Not bad at all. I was a little disheartened at the plastic housing, but they seem well crafted and durable. I've had mine for about 6 months now. For biking riding, gym, mowing the lawn? Oh yeah. I'd think you should be quite pleased. If you get them, let me know what you think.

I've struggled with IEMs because my ear canals are very prudish and would literally kick IEMs out. The best solution I've found is a $20 pair of the smallest-sized Comply foam tips that you order for the specific IEMs you're using. They isolate brilliantly which allows the full impact of the S4i without the eventual itch and discomfort of the gel type tips. I give 'em a little mouth-moistening and work them in. VOILA! I warn you though, if you're not used to IEMs and you don't get proper isolation (when in you should almost hear zilch) inside the ear canal, you're going to think they're the most tinny-sounding pieces of junk on the planet.
ebuddy

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 5, 2013, 04:00 AM

I like the Earpods, I've put a pledge in for these on Kickstarter, shaped soft plastic covers to hopefully stop them falling out so much (just the left ear for me, my right ear holds them in).
EarSkinz for EarPods by EarSkinz — Kickstarter

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2013, 04:42 AM

Can't say I'm fond of the EarPods, but I've heard worse.
- Thomas Paine

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 5, 2013, 09:46 PM

For running and exercising, I like the Apple In-Ear Headphones (not the Earpods).

For listening around the house, I have the B&W P5 headphones. (Love these.)
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2013, 03:54 PM

I purchased the Apple in-ear headphones a few years ago, and they were just terrible for me cause they wouldn't stay in my ears. That was a pretty big write off for me, and have been skeptical of anything that needs to go in the ear.

My iPhone headphones, which i use primarily at work were on the fritz last week... having had a great experience with KOSS thus far, I opted for a cheap KOSS at $4 shipped(Amazon)!!!.

I was skeptical especially given that price, but a $4 writeoff is better than $29(for the Apple ear-pods). Well ... they *feel*...cheap, but the audio quality is pretty darn good and seems like it will serve its purpose. Another very minor quibble is that its 3.5mm jack is not iPhone-case friendly. But the price differential more than compensates.

Cheers

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2013, 07:09 PM

I have some V-MODA Crossfade M-100s.

In short, I love 'em. They're comfortable, don't look ridiculous, and don't have the muddy mids and highs like you'll see in a lot of the popular over-ear headphones.

The M-80s weren't comfortable on my ears, though, so I had to spend the extra money to step up to the over-ears. V-MODA's in-ear models are great too, but I'm in love with the M-100s.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2013, 07:15 PM

ebuddy

OreoCookie
May 6, 2013, 10:03 PM

I use Grado SR-80is after giving up on Koss' Porta Pros (the built quality got shoddier and shoddier). I also use the headphones that came with my iPhone 4S for when I need pocketable headphones.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2013, 08:50 AM

Coming out of retirement for a contract job on a fav subject:

I went through a bunch of headphones over the last 10 years - from the Apple buds, to over-ear Sony buds, to behind-head Panasonic buds, to Sennheiser HD550 cans, to Sennheiser HD600 cans, toyed with Denon D7000 closed cans before getting Monster Beats Solo HD cans, and then to these Urbanear in-ear affairs....which I discovered yesterday that I may have lost, so then I completed the full circle back to generic Apple buds (which I did not enjoy FWIW).

I've discovered that I wear headphones so that I can listen to music without broadcasting it to the rest of the world. Thus, open cans simply don't do it for me - at any decent volume anyone within 15 feet can hear what you're playing, and there's absolutely no isolation from the rest of the world in return. (I find it particular egregious on plane rides, where you have a $500 pair of headphones that you can't even use. What's the point?) If I need to sit in a place where I can't hear anyone else and everyone around can hear me, then **** it, I'm playing my speakers, which have a far better and more enjoyable soundstage than any headphone IMO.

Thus I went for closed cans, which have no sound isolation technology but naturally do a decent job at blocking out the world and you from it. I surprisingly enjoyed the Monster cans although their reputation is not great amongst audiophiles - I certainly could not justify paying so much more for the D7000 over the Solo HD, and the Solos were much smaller, lighter, and easier to transport; I saw almost no downside.

But then I've gotten increasingly annoyed at carrying around headphones that needed their own case, and having these big things strapped to your head (even ones as small as the Solo) - so I got rid of them and went to the cheapie Urbanears, which were alright but really annoy me with their lack of noise cancelling from the outside.

I guess at the end of the day, I probably need in-ear noise cancelling affairs, because I use my headphones for situational use - working out, airplanes, work, random moments when I want to play music and read or work on the computer. So I need some measure of flexibility - which no full-size cans can afford - and and ability to block me from the outside world and vice versa.

So, yeah. Apple earbuds. FTL.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules