Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Disney probes sleazy riders

Disney probes sleazy riders
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2013, 05:36 PM

Thorzdad
May 16, 2013, 06:05 PM

Disney probes are worse than alien probes.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2013, 06:30 PM

When I was a teenager, I visited Disney in Florida for the first time. My memories mainly consist of wait in lines.

Up here in Toronto, the big theme park is Canada's Wonderland. The lines are way, way shorter than anything I experienced at Disney. Why do Americans put up with this? The rides weren't even that good. The worst ride at Canada's Wonderland was far better than even the best ride at Disney.

That said, I remember the Kumba at Busch Gardens very fondly.

Thorzdad
May 16, 2013, 06:44 PM

Ever since Disney instituted the FastPass it's been pretty easy to avoid horribly long lines. It takes a little planning, but there's really no good reason to be stuck in an hour-long line at Disneyworld.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2013, 06:54 PM

I suppose I'm a bit ambivalent about this and I'll explain why. On the one hand this story violates my sense of "fairness". It smacks of "gaming the system" at its worst. But on the other hand, my wife and I visited NYC about a year ago and purchased "express" tickets for the Empire State Building. So while most people waited HOURS to get to the top, my wife and I made it up to the observation decks in 15-20 minutes or so. Never waiting in line ... only waiting on the various elevators. I suppose one could argue that wasn't "fair" either. But then again, it was an option available to the public at large and completely above board. We just paid extra for an expedited experience. Now imagine if Disney offered "express" tickets like this for a higher price. Perhaps they already do ... I don't know. But for the sake of discussion let's say they did. How would that go over for the working/middle class family that waited 2 hours to get onto Space Mountain ... but some wealthy family gets to walk up in 10 minutes and get in line in front of them because they had the money to pay for an "expedited experience"?

OAW

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 16, 2013, 06:57 PM

Wouldn't sleazy riders enjoy being probed?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2013, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Ever since Disney instituted the FastPass it's been pretty easy to avoid horribly long lines. It takes a little planning, but there's really no good reason to be stuck in an hour-long line at Disneyworld.
Wow. It's been so long since I took my kids to Disney World I had almost forgotten about this. IIRC, the FastPass provided an "expedited experience" but you basically had to make reservations for certain times. And I definitely utilized it. But that's a little different though. In my previous post I'm not talking about what is essentially making a reservation in advance. I'm talking about about being able to go to the front of the regular line because of a higher priced ticket. Distinction without a difference? Or no?

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
The worst ride at Canada's Wonderland was far better than even the best ride at Disney.
I call bullshit. The Haunted Mansion is really, really good.

andi*pandi
May 16, 2013, 09:05 PM

Paying extra to get to the front of the line (fastpass, premiere membership) is one thing. Paying a handicapped person to pretend to be in your family is another.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2013, 09:29 PM

Gaming Disney's system doesn't make me feel too bad.

How sleazy* exploiting your handicapped child is context dependent.

The parent buying this for their kid is a sociopath, and is teaching their child how to be a sociopath.

A really spoiled sociopath.

*The oft overlooked eighth dwarf.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2013, 09:45 PM

I don't understand the problem here.

andi*pandi
May 16, 2013, 10:03 PM

Really?

Also, if everyone buys a fast pass... does that mean everyone has to wait in long lines again?

We had a great time at LegoLand in December. Reasonable lines <20 mins.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2013, 10:20 PM

They price the fastpass such it is out of range for enough patrons.

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 17, 2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I call bullshit. The Haunted Mansion is really, really good.
Screw you. The beaver powered maple syrup shower is better.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2013, 08:44 AM

Wonder why they bothered when you can just hire an official "VIP" guide for the day and blitz through anything. No wait, no fastpass, just walk in through the employee entrance and ride.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
May 17, 2013, 11:13 AM

apparently the handicapped guides, or even just a wheelchair and some acting lessons, are cheaper.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2013, 11:32 AM

I got the impression the VIP tickets are $3,000, so people offer the handicapped kids $2,500, or just fake it for free.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Screw you. The beaver powered maple syrup shower is better.
He said the worst ride, so I'm comparing it to the hockey puck poutine dunk.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2013, 11:45 AM

If you ever get to Americaland, I suggest either the Full-Auto Honey Boo-Boo, or the Rape and a Mugging.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2013, 09:05 PM

Splash Mountain, and (I Know) It's a Small World have always been my favorite. I also love the Transit Authority People Mover. Not sure why, but it's my Top 3.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2013, 09:08 PM

The worst ride at Canada's Wonderland was far better than even the best ride at Disney.
Sorry but, too much Molson, eh?
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

subego
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
It's a Small World
The train of boats broke down on this when I was on it as a kid. How my dad wanted to blow his brains out became his story for the trip.
( Last edited by subego; May 20, 2013 at 01:04 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2013, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Sorry but, too much Molson, eh?
Yeah, he's full of it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2013, 09:32 AM

You might be thinking of the VIP thing.

FastPass is free:

Disney World Fastpass Information

It's included with the price of admission. It doesn't get you to the front of the line, but it does allow you to save your place in line and do other stuff in the park while you wait.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2013, 11:47 AM

I actually have no idea what I'm thinking of. I took the term Andi used and applied the theory of supply and demand to it.

andi*pandi
May 20, 2013, 01:02 PM

I confess, I had fastpass and VIP mixed up. Didn't know it was free... good deal!

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I suppose I'm a bit ambivalent about this and I'll explain why. On the one hand this story violates my sense of "fairness". It smacks of "gaming the system" at its worst. But on the other hand, my wife and I visited NYC about a year ago and purchased "express" tickets for the Empire State Building. So while most people waited HOURS to get to the top, my wife and I made it up to the observation decks in 15-20 minutes or so. Never waiting in line ... only waiting on the various elevators. I suppose one could argue that wasn't "fair" either. But then again, it was an option available to the public at large and completely above board. We just paid extra for an expedited experience. Now imagine if Disney offered "express" tickets like this for a higher price. Perhaps they already do ... I don't know. But for the sake of discussion let's say they did. How would that go over for the working/middle class family that waited 2 hours to get onto Space Mountain ... but some wealthy family gets to walk up in 10 minutes and get in line in front of them because they had the money to pay for an "expedited experience"?
They do, but it's more expensive than hiring a disabled person.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2013, 02:24 PM

Yeah, the VIP guide option is ~$250 /hr, maybe more now, but if you're well-heeled and waiting gives you palpitations (or there are legitimate security concerns), it's the way to go.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Yeah, the VIP guide option is ~$250 /hr, maybe more now, but if you're well-heeled and waiting gives you palpitations (or there are legitimate security concerns), it's the way to go.
Legitimate security concerns? You opt to goto Disneyland but waiting in line is a security concern?

Great big steaming pile of #!@$ right there.

finboy
May 20, 2013, 05:05 PM

Other than the VIP tour system or this kind of thing that's external to Disney, I didn't realize that they had Fastpass tickets you could buy.

My son is autistic and mentally retarded (I know, intellectually deficient is the diagnosis) and so he gets a pass to allow him to stand in shorter lines. He's 9 and 120 lbs. and 4' 8" tall, and very physical, but his apparent mental age is 36 months to 4 years. He really likes coasters and kinetic stuff. Without the special pass we wouldn't be able to enjoy Disney at all, and amusement parks are one of the few recreational things in life that he can do, and likes to do, and that we can do together as a family. So we take vacations there a couple of times per year, and make the most of our GAC (Guest Assistance Card) and Fastpasses. Those are the only vacations we take. It takes some planning. Six Flags offers the same thing, although theirs is limited to 2 rides per attraction per day I think.

Of course people abuse these things, just like people abuse the handicapped line. It's a Disney insider's joke that you count how many people are behind the great grandma in the wheelchair - I've seen up to 21 before. I've also seen plenty of kids of all ages who had GACs and no visible handicap, so it may be misleading if you just observe people going through the line without waiting.

As for "legitimate security concerns" we've seen NBA and NFL players go through lines with their VIP guides, and I'm sure we've been around some diplomats as well. And I've seen some of the VIP folks who were probably trained to handle any "security" event.
( Last edited by finboy; May 20, 2013 at 06:07 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Legitimate security concerns? You opt to goto Disneyland but waiting in line is a security concern?

Great big steaming pile of #!@$ right there.
Holster your indignation, it's tiresome. Yes, celebs standing in line can cause security issues, and not just for them. People can get trampled, I watched as a 3 y/o boy was almost killed when a large group of people recognized Kenny Chesney (WTF?!) at a local mall and swamped him trying to get an autograph. I don't know what world you live in, but in the real one most folks are herd animals and will stampede if they're excited.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 01:04 PM

Holster your indignation, it's tiresome. Yes, celebs standing in line can cause security issues, and not just for them. People can get trampled, I watched as a 3 y/o boy was almost killed when a large group of people recognized Kenny Chesney (WTF?!) at a local mall and swamped him trying to get an autograph. I don't know what world you live in, but in the real one most folks are herd animals and will stampede if they're excited.
Sorry, I didn't think of the screaming crowds running for autographs, more of the "I'm a celebrity and have bodyguards because the proles might touch me" type.

andi*pandi
May 21, 2013, 03:04 PM

I'm now picturing how cool and laid back the Affleck clan would be at Disney. They'd be in the regular line, with their stroller and kids, pretending to be nobodies, just like they do in Harvard Square.

I do however recognize Shaddim's point, which is that a Beiber sighting could turn Splash Mountain into a "News at 11" mosh pit.

Stupid Beiber.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 06:41 PM

Yeah, he's full of it.
I'm not.

As I recall, all of Disney's rides are "for the whole family." They aren't particularly fast or scary. Canada's Wonderland is dominated by very fast rollercoasters that don't permit kids to ride. Last time I was there (back in the 90s), the was one kiddie coaster called the Ghoster Coaster, while there were about 6 other roller coasters that would make a 10 year old crap his pants. There was one ride there called the Wild Boar, which was a wooden rollercoaster, that felt like a death trap you might fall out of at any moment. And the steel rollercoasters at Wonderland were very fast, but even then Busch Garden's Kumba was surprisingly fast to me.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2013, 09:07 PM

I didn't know speed was the fundamental determinant of value.

andi*pandi
May 21, 2013, 09:26 PM

There are height limits at Disney. So while everyone can go on a Small World, Space Mountain I think you have to be... 42"? Oh fine I'll look it up: 44". Which is... not that tall.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/at...pace-mountain/

Anyhow, as subego says, most of the attractions at Disney are the sheer spectacle. Figment's Imaginarium at Epcot was one of my favorite things.

If you want huge rollercoasters, you go to Six Flags.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; May 21, 2013 at 09:39 PM. )

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 10:01 PM

You didn't "know" that because no one have ever suggested it. Including me.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2013, 10:18 PM

Your criticism seems to hinge on Disney's lack of fast and scary.

Am I misunderstanding you?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 10:20 PM

No. Fast and scary, yes. Fast alone, no.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2013, 10:22 PM

I didn't know fast and scary were the fundamental determinants of value.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 10:46 PM

I didn't know fast and scary were the fundamental determinants of value.
They are if you're an 18 year old teenager visiting Disney in Florida for the first time. All I remember is long lines, boring rides, and Epcot Centre.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2013, 11:25 PM

I didn't realize we were dealing with such narrow criteria.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2013, 12:15 AM

Really? Go back and read what I originally said:

When I was a teenager, I visited Disney in Florida for the first time. My memories mainly consist of wait in lines.

Up here in Toronto, the big theme park is Canada's Wonderland. The lines are way, way shorter than anything I experienced at Disney. Why do Americans put up with this? The rides weren't even that good. The worst ride at Canada's Wonderland was far better than even the best ride at Disney.

That said, I remember the Kumba at Busch Gardens very fondly.
I'm just telling you what I remember.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2013, 01:02 AM

If that's the case, Cedar Point and Kings Island smash anything available in Canadia.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2013, 06:28 AM

Damn, didn't know there was such animosity between you North Americans.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2013, 10:05 AM

Just when mckenna is posting.
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
May 22, 2013, 10:40 AM

Although 18 is perhaps not the target audience for Disney, I was a grownup when I first went, and had a great time.

Long lines are the bane of any amusement park, at least Disney tries to make the lines entertaining. Tower of Terror employees look like they're having fun.

Never been to Cedar Point, but heard good things.

There's a really cool amusement park on an island in Montreal.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2013, 11:27 AM

Just when mckenna is posting.
Leave it to Shaddim to interpret any criticism of Disneyland as an attack on all of America.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2013, 12:34 PM

Really? Go back and read what I originally said:

I'm just telling you what I remember.
What is the worst ride at the Canadian park you speak of?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Although 18 is perhaps not the target audience for Disney, I was a grownup when I first went, and had a great time.
It really isn't, but we had a great time all the same. If you're able, get a room in the park, it enhances the experience (the monorail is great for commuting).
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules