Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Michael Schumacher skiing accident

Michael Schumacher skiing accident
ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2013, 06:41 AM

Doctors: Michael Schumacher remains in critical condition after skiing accident | Sky Sports

He hit his head on a rock skiing yesterday, he's in a critical condition and 'fighting for his life'. He was wearing a helmet, doctors are saying if he hadn't the impact would have killed him. There has just been a press conference from the doctors, they are taking it hour by hour, he's in an induced coma, and has had one brain op.

Something on his side is that he's probably one of the fittest 44 year olds out there, and he got treatment ASAP.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2013, 07:48 AM

Apparently he seemed okay immediately after but then took a sharp turn for the worst. That's not a good sign, at all. Thoughts and prayers with him, I hope he pulls through.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2013, 10:24 AM

Ironic that he injures himself on a ski-slope and not in a car doing 200mph.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2013, 11:08 AM

Yesterday this accident came as a shock for me and many others. I have followed all his career, not always supporting him because he wasn't on the right car but then, you forget that and wish him all the best on these difficult moments. Let's all pray for him. He has done superb things before, he is strong but the situation is indeed really critical.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2013, 12:01 PM

Hoping for the best for him and his family.

andi*pandi
Dec 31, 2013, 11:06 AM

Helmet saved his life. Of course, not going on unmarked trails would have also... but I know those are tempting.

*renews promise to self to get a helmet*

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2014, 03:37 AM

Sad birthday today for Schumacher.

Schumacher's coma could last weeks, months

Michael Schumacher could remain in his coma for weeks, or even months.

That is the expert view of Professor Uwe Kehler, the highly respected head of neurosurgery at the Asklepios hospital in Hamburg.

As is much of the world at present, he is watching with keen interest the progress in Grenoble of injured seven time world champion Schumacher, who is in a critical condition after a skiing crash last Sunday.

Friday, Schumacher's 45th birthday, is the sixth day since the accident, but Kehler told Bild newspaper that the great German's family, friends and fans face a longer wait.

"Generally, it takes two to three weeks until a patient with such a severe trauma can be woken up," he said.

"But it can take days or even weeks until the patient opens his eyes. Unfortunately, it is also possible that the person does not wake up properly."

Professor Kehler said it is a good sign that Schumacher, although critical, has entered a period of stability.

"In a severe craniocerebral trauma, the first hours and days are crucial to see if the pressure and swelling continues to increase. Especially critical are the first three to four days.

"When patients get through those first few days, everyone can breathe a little. But no statement can be made yet about the patient's survival or the outcome.

"If the patient continues to remain stable, you can shut down the measures to reduce intracranial pressure and then dissolve the coma," he explained.

A Paris neurosurgeon, Philippe Decq, told France's RMC Sport that Schumacher will then reach a crucial point in his recovery.

"After a severe traumatic brain injury, if three weeks passes and there are no signs of awakening, then from a prognostic point of view it is very bad," he said.

Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm implied by text message on Thursday that the former Ferrari and Mercedes driver remains in a stable yet critical condition.

"We will not make statements unless there is something new (to report)," she said.

A statement issued by Schumacher's family reads: "We all know he is a fighter and will not give up."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2014, 09:04 PM

Really hope he can recover soon and not only after months and months.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2014, 06:12 AM

Media interest remains at fever pitch as Michael Schumacher's coma after his skiing crash in France enters a second week.

Philippe Streiff, a former F1 driver paralysed in a 1989 testing crash, caused the biggest stir at the weekend when he visited the hospital in Grenoble.

The Frenchman told reporters after his visit that he had spoken with doctor and mutual friend Gerard Saillant who said Schumacher, now 45, is "out of danger".

"He (Saillant) said it is a serious condition but his life is not in danger any more, thankfully," Streiff said.

He also provided new details of the German's injuries, including the apparent risk that the former Ferrari and Mercedes driver could be left "hemiplegic", or paralysed on one side of the body.

He also said the nature of the bleeding on the sides of Schumacher's brain endangers Schumacher's speech and motor skills, but Streiff's comments were dismissed by manager Sabine Kehm as "pure speculation".

Kehm insisted her boss remains in a "critical but stable" condition, and Streiff later told France's RMC that Schumacher is in fact in "a stable but serious condition without deterioration or improvement".

It is believed that the doctors in charge of Schumacher's recovery could give a full medical update to the media on Monday.

At the same time, French authorities are investigating the circumstances surrounding Schumacher's skiing fall, which was reportedly captured by video on an eyewitness' mobile phone, who said the German was travelling at no more than 20kph when he hit rocks and struck his head.

The authorities issued a statement urging the media against "spreading false information" about the investigation, according to France's L'Equipe.

Nonetheless, the respected Sunday newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche cited hospital sources in claiming the most recent brain scan undergone by Schumacher had "very bad" results.

And Kehm denied that the Schumacher family only reluctantly gave up the 'Gopro' camera that was attached to his helmet. It is not known if the camera was recording at the time of the crash.

"The family gave the camera to the investigating authorities voluntarily," Kehm is quoted by Bild newspaper. "That this was done against the wishes of the family is untrue."

Finally, Dr Johannes Peil, who treated Schumacher in 2009, revealed that an artery in the driver's brain was damaged in that serious motorcycle crash.

He said the old injury should not affect Schumacher's recovery now.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2014, 12:20 PM

Today the hospital issued the following statement:

“The clinical state of Michael Schumacher is considered as stable and is constantly monitored by the medical treatments that are administered to him.

However, the medical team responsible underlines that they will not stop to consider Michael’s condition as critical.

The privacy of the patient demands that we are not going into details of his treatment, and this is why we do not plan any press conferences, nor give out written press releases, anymore for the time being.

We again insistently ask you to respect this and to stick to the information given by the medical team in charge of the patient or his management, as this is the only valid information"

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2014, 07:51 AM

Sabine Kehm, Schumacher's agent, has issued a statement. I hope this is a step forward, however small...

"moments of conscious and awakening", that's got to be something good, right?

Gary Hartstein is a former F1 doctor, his blog has cleared a lot of the medical technospeak from the statements into plain english, and added his thoughts as a outsider from the medical team around Schumacher.
“Moments of conscious and awakening”!!! | A Former F1 Doc Writes

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

RobA5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2014, 09:05 AM

This is good to hear, there's constant reports in the media that are complete rubbish and I can understand the family's need for privacy. Lets hope he does regain full consciousness

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2014, 02:40 PM

Doctors cautious after Schumacher awakening news

A wave of relief spread through the Bahrain paddock on Friday, as news broke that F1 legend Michael Schumacher has shown "moments of consciousness" this week after months in a coma.

The brief statement made by the great German's manager Sabine Kehm, however, refused to divulge the "details" of the development out of respect for the family and to protect the medical team's "calmness".

Respected doctors, however, were quick to add some of their insights to the news.

Dr Alain Simon, the medical consultant for the French sports daily L'Equipe, says the latest Schumacher statement is "difficult to interpret".

"It could mean he opens and closes his eyes when he is asked," he said.

"People who are in this phase are not speaking and it could be months like this," Simon explained, "but perhaps these moments are a sign of hope."

Simon said the development in Schumacher's condition could actually be very timely.

"In a head trauma with loss of consciousness," he said, "beyond three months is a long-term coma with consequences. With less than three months there may be no consequences."

Alain Ducardonnet, the medical consultant for France's BFMTV, agrees that the statement issued by the Schumacher camp on Friday is "good news".

"Previously there had been nothing in particular," he said. "It was attempted to wake him but obviously he did not.

"But 'moments of consciousness and awakening' can mean everything and it can mean nothing. These are generic words.

"Perhaps he is responding to simple commands: open your eyes, move your hand, perhaps the skin was clamped to see if he feels pain.

"These are the first things we do when we assess consciousness," Dr Ducardonnet added.

Yet another doctor, the French neurosurgeon Philippe Decq, warned: "We must be extremely cautious.

"Signs of awakening is probably the observation of eye movements, followed by eye-contact. This is encouraging and I am happy to hear that but we must be extremely careful.

"The lesions are obviously extremely serious. Anything can happen," Dr Decq warned. "You are never unscathed after a trauma of this severity."

Schumacher's former manager Willi Weber, however, spoke for the world of F1 when he said on Friday: "Thank god. For me, that's the best news of the year."

Bild newspaper reported that Schumacher has been moved within the Grenoble hospital to an intensive care area for patients requiring less constant supervision.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2014, 06:52 AM

Reports of Schumacher making eye-contact, responding to voices

Michael Schumacher is making eye-contact and responding to voices, according to the very latest media reports.

Earlier, after a worrying three-month long coma, the F1 legend's manager Sabine Kehm revealed that Schumacher is now having "moments of consciousness and awakening".

The news cheered the F1 paddock in Bahrain, but now there are apparently even more signs of improvement in the former Ferrari and Mercedes driver's previously life-threatening brain injuries.

Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that Schumacher is making encouraging eye movements, while Germany's Bild am Sonntag newspaper claims the great 45-year-old German is even responding to voices.

Family friend Jean Alesi, a former F1 driver, has visited Schumacher several times in hospital, and he is now much more optimistic about the future.

"First, Michael responded only to pain, when he was pinched for example," he is quoted by Speed Week. "But that can also be an unconscious reaction of the body.

"During my last visit I realised that something was beginning to change for the better. I felt with the family some relief, a great joy about how things were developing.

"It is fabulous," the Frenchman claimed, "even though the path back to life is still long."

Felipe Massa, a former Ferrari teammate of Schumacher's and another close friend, seemed to confirm that the seven time world champion is now responding to voices.

"I cannot really put into words how excited I am about it," the Brazilian admitted in Bahrain.

"I prayed every day for Michael and they were answered. Now I hope to continue to hear good news from Grenoble," Massa added

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2014, 04:24 PM

Bianchi moved to France, Schumacher paralysed

Jules Bianchi is no longer in Japan, his family announced on Wednesday.

The Frenchman, who crashed during the Japanese grand prix early last month, has until now been in a critical condition in the Mie hospital not far from Suzuka.

But the 25-year-old's parents announced on Wednesday that "Jules has made an important step".

While "still unconscious", Bianchi is "no longer in the artificial coma", they said.

"He is breathing unaided and his vital signs are stable, but his condition is still classified as critical. His treatment now enters a new phase concerned with the improvement of his brain function," a statement read.

Father Philippe and mother Christine added that their son was able to be transported overnight from Japan to his native France.

He is now in intensive care at the university hospital in Nice.

News also emerged on Wednesday about the health condition of F1 legend Michael Schumacher.

Former F1 driver Philippe Streiff, who is a quadriplegic after a 1989 crash, told French radio that his friend is "getting better".

But he added: "Everything is relative. It's very difficult. He can't speak. Like me, he is in a wheelchair (and) paralysed.

"He has memory problems and speech problems," added Streiff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 04:27 PM

6 months later, too. I hope for his family's sake he can become a ghost of he was because this sounds terrible.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2014, 02:36 PM

And I fear that Bianchi's family is on the same route, or even worse.
( Last edited by is not; Nov 20, 2014 at 03:15 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2014, 08:28 AM

French TV just reported the following re Schumacher : he has memory problems, he can't find his words and mostly communictes using his eyes.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2014, 09:13 AM

I've heard he can talk, he simply can't put sentences together.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2014, 12:07 PM

Sounds like progress, actually. Hoping for gradual improvement so that he can, at the very least, have conversations.

When they say he's paralyzed, I'm assuming they mean from the neck down?

Forum Links
Forum Rules