Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CarPlay

CarPlay
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 3, 2014, 06:20 PM

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

I didn't it mentioned anywhere outside of NewsPoster spam, so I figured I'd start a thread. Reddit is full of people who keep assuming that the car will only work with an iPhone, no valuable discussion happening over there.

They list Ford as a "future committed partner", which is interesting as Ford has already said they're switching to QNX. I can't imagine the graveyard that Microsoft MyFordTouch support will be in a few years.

I specifically avoided a touchscreen in the car I bought this summer, as I've yet to use one that was any good, and I really don't like the idea of a touch-only interface in a car. Our Edge has not only the MyFordTouch system, but all of its buttons are on a capacitive panel:

So there is 0 feedback for anything besides changing the volume.

Really, I'd be happy with two more things in my car:
1. Siri button. Right now I reach into my pocket and hold the home button to activate Siri which goes through my car's audio system.
2. Siri works with Google Maps

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2014, 06:34 PM

I forget the name, but there's a Siri button which can clip to your visor.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2014, 06:35 PM

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2014, 07:37 PM

I think it's great that this works with a phone, not a built-in computer.

I am not a huge fan of fixed in-car systems. Technology these days changes so fast that during the average life of a vehicle several generations of electronics will have come and gone.

Our 2008 car was top of the range when it was new. Today, the mapping, bluetooth and voice control are so ancient, they never get used. Instead I've mounted a Nexus 7 with a SIM card on top of the built in screen, which is far more useful. We put less than 10,000km a year on our cars, so they tend to last a long time.

If I could find a way to wire the backup camera to the Nexus screen I would pay somebody to make that modification permanent and replace the built-in screen with a tablet mount.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2014, 08:29 PM

They better do a demo with Coldplay.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 3, 2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
I think it's great that this works with a phone, not a built-in computer.
Are we sure that this is just a video extender? It seems to me that Apple just provides the auto manufacturer with their API and the communication to and interface with the iPhone is programmed into the automaker's computer. After all, if you have no phone or no iPhone, you still want to be able to use everything, right?

mindwaves
Mar 3, 2014, 09:09 PM

I'm not interested in CarPlay. Call me old fashioned, but I like all physical buttons. However, I was quite happy to see Volvo in the list of manufacturers because of this:

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I'm not interested in CarPlay. Call me old fashioned, but I like all physical buttons. However, I was quite happy to see Volvo in the list of manufacturers because of this:

[/img]
[/img]
Still a volvo

P
Mar 4, 2014, 07:53 AM

That's just the concept though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 4, 2014, 07:57 AM

The way I'm reading this, it looks like it is supposed to supplant "eyes free" iPhone operation, as touted in 2012 and still not a reality (my wife's Civic SI and my BMW X3 are both supposed to offer this...not seein' it work).

In a way I feel that Phileas has an excellent point - though Apple says you can use physical button controls for CarPlay). And in a way, I feel that this is an intermediate step to integrating the "smart phone in every pocket" concept with the "car in every driveway" facet of urban/suburban American life. But the way we get this integration to work is through consistency in the interface.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2014, 08:26 AM

Ooooo.

Yep, still a Volvo.

(God, I hope they make that thing.)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2014, 08:54 AM

So sex, much want.

but not in brown
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2014, 10:53 AM

Beautiful. Even in brown.

Also, I am currently working on a project with Tesla. Oh, yes. I might just get the upcoming SUV as my next car, then buy an old truck for the heavy duty stuff.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2014, 05:43 PM

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2014, 01:56 AM

My car has the MyFordTouch system, I'm not holding my breath on any updates. But CarPlay looks nice.

P
Mar 5, 2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Ooooo.

Yep, still a Volvo.

(God, I hope they make that thing.)
I don't have anything resembling inside info on this, but...

Almost no concepts are made. You grab ideas from them, and in some cases a car turns out quite similar to a concept (the C30, for instance), but there are always changes. In this case: I don't think a car this big will be a three door model. The essential lines, the high shoulders and the low roof, that might make it into the design of a new model as it seems to me to be an evolution of what they're shipping today in some cars, but don't expect this exact car.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2014, 08:59 AM

I know how concept cars work, and I do remember the C30 and how thrilled I was to see it go into production almost unchanged.

The lines here are reminiscent of the Volvos from forty and more years ago, and it would be lovely to see them on the road.

Throw out the leather to make it daily-driver compatible and affordable, and I'll be driving a used one six or seven years from now - if the proportions make it feasible to throw a couple keyboards in the back. If not, I'll hope for a station wagon version...

Ham Sandwich
Mar 5, 2014, 04:41 PM

I don't understand the point of all these "extras" - driving is not easy and accidents are a big deal (I've been in quite a few).
I'm already a distracted driver just because I struggle to find a song I like.
If the roads are going to be safer, then more people need to surrender their sense of ownership on the road.
Instead, precisely the opposite is happening in society.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2014, 06:57 PM

A demo of CarPlay in action. Too bad you have to buy a new car to get it. Would be nice if you could get a screen installed in an existing car third party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNKvlIUL-I8

OAW

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2014, 05:25 AM

As long as its not made by Microsoft I will give it a shot. FordSync was the Worst experience of my life for a car system. I really wanted to take a shotgun to the dashboard of my previous 2012 Ford Focus. Key word previous. Between the dual clutch Transmission and the Ford Sync I couldn't deal with that car any more.

What I am hopeful for is 3rd party deck support at some point but I doubt it will happen. It would be nice to purchase a 3rd party deck that supports carplay to install into older cars.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2014, 06:16 AM

I guess no one looked at that, I was pointing out the huge number of Apple devices integrated into the thing. However, I just found out it's going to be... $800k. No kidding.
- Thomas Paine

HamSandwich
Mar 6, 2014, 11:26 AM

The Volvo looks nice.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2014, 04:06 PM

This seems pretty cool. Good integration with the iPhone is going to be one of the main things I look for when I buy a car in the next year or two.

Hopefully this will end up in some cheaper models very soon.

Honestly though, I'll be happy with simply being able to skip songs with a button on my steering wheel. I wouldn't pay a lot extra for any of this.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2014, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
A demo of CarPlay in action. Too bad you have to buy a new car to get it. Would be nice if you could get a screen installed in an existing car third party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNKvlIUL-I8

OAW
This is what I'm hoping for. I just bought a 2014 Mazda 6 and the infotainment interface sucks! Should have done more research before the purchase... bluetooth won't even let me shuffle from my iPhone and that is the most frustrating thing.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I guess no one looked at that, I was pointing out the huge number of Apple devices integrated into the thing. However, I just found out it's going to be... $800k. No kidding.
Brabus has been doing that for four years minimum but previously on S-Class

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2014, 11:11 PM

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
In this case, however, owners will need to connect their iOS devices by a wire.
100% dealbreaker for me. Plugging my iPhone into the USB port in my car charges it, enables Pandora app-link, and allows song titles and artists to be displayed on the car's screen, none of which are available through bluetooth, and I use bluetooth every time.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2014, 12:46 PM

Yeah I have concluded I hate touch buttons of all kinds if they are to be used without your undivided attention. Knobs, switches, dials and buttons are mind-bogglingly easier to use while driving. Something as relatively simple as adjusting climate control is a pain in the arse on the latest Ford Fusion.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Yeah I have concluded I hate touch buttons of all kinds if they are to be used without your undivided attention. Knobs, switches, dials and buttons are mind-bogglingly easier to use while driving. Something as relatively simple as adjusting climate control is a pain in the arse on the latest Ford Fusion.
Yeah, on our Edge the complimented the touchscreen controls with a capacitive-touch panel, so the only thing you can adjust and feel is volume. And while you're adjusting volume, you'll brush the source and climate control buttons, screwing everything up.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2014, 06:38 AM

Exactly.....it's like they worked hard and put real thought into how to eliminate tactile feedback. To which I face palm.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I don't have anything resembling inside info on this, but...

Almost no concepts are made. You grab ideas from them, and in some cases a car turns out quite similar to a concept (the C30, for instance), but there are always changes. In this case: I don't think a car this big will be a three door model. The essential lines, the high shoulders and the low roof, that might make it into the design of a new model as it seems to me to be an evolution of what they're shipping today in some cars, but don't expect this exact car.
You're correct, but in general Volvo concepts are very close to their production styling on the exterior. The only difference is generally number of doors and the interior will be much more realistic.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Yeah, on our Edge the complimented the touchscreen controls with a capacitive-touch panel, so the only thing you can adjust and feel is volume. And while you're adjusting volume, you'll brush the source and climate control buttons, screwing everything up.
I had a new Edge for a week while Ford tried to figure out why my Focus' satnav thought it was in another state and even when I returned it I still couldn't figure out how to change things without looking down from the road.

Forum Links
Forum Rules