Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any Prius owners here? I'm considering

Any Prius owners here? I'm considering
design219
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2014, 02:47 PM

My '97 Camry is approaching 230k. I'm thinking used (2010+) Prius, but if anyone has good / bad experiences I'd like to hear them. Gas prices are a motivation. I have also had great luck with Toyota, but would be open to considering a different make.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

akent35
Banned
Jun 25, 2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
My '97 Camry is approaching 230k. I'm thinking used (2010+) Prius, but if anyone has good / bad experiences I'd like to hear them. Gas prices are a motivation. I have also had great luck with Toyota, but would be open to considering a different make.
Four of our friends/acquaintances own either new, or recent, models of the Prius. Yes, they are excellent for gas mileage purposes, but I've also heard some negatives about them from most of our friends. One of the couples bought a brand new 2014 Prius about 3 weeks ago, and they say 1) it is rather noisy, and 2) the view out of the rear window is somewhat restricted. They still have their 1996 Avalon, though, which of course is a larger, stronger car. One thing I despise about a Prius (and, unfortunately, quite a few luxury cars) are leatherette seats. Maybe on a "less expensive" car, that might be OK, but I had a bad experience with leatherette seats. Plus, when last summer I saw a 2013 Mercedes Benz E350 sedan, it had leatherette seats (standard on that model), and it sure made the car look cheap.

Myself, I once had a 1996 Camry XLE V6. Bought it brand new, kept it for 8 1/2 years, and never, never had ANY issues with it. When we traded it in for our 2005 Mercedes CLK320 back in March 2005, it had only 74,000 miles on it. It was (until, hopefully, recently) the best car we had ever owned. Four things I require in a vehicle are 1) air conditioning, 2) heated front seats, 3) leather seats, and 4) a V6 engine. That 1996 XLE had all of that, with the leather seats and heated front seats being standard. And, that V6 engine was so, so responsive.

The reason I mention all that is last May, when I was looking to replace our 2001 BMW 525i (a maintenance nightmare), once again the 2013 Camry XLE V6 satisfied all that I required. So, that is the model I purchased, and I truly love it! It runs great, is comfortable, and again the V6 engine is very responsive. Plus, the gas mileage is not that bad. I am anticipating another pain free, out of the ordinary maintenance free, experience with it, for a number of years to come.

Interestingly, when I compared the top of the line Prius to my top of the line Camry (trying as best to pick options on the Prius that are on our Camry), the price difference was very little. (If I had opted for the hybrid model, then there would be a significant price difference. But, I don't need a vehicle with superior gas mileage, like in a Prius). So, of course I'd rather go with a more comfortable, luxurious model for the same price. (Of course, with Toyota basically having 80 to 90% of that market that the Prius is in, they can basically get what they want).

In any event, the Prius is a great car for gas mileage purposes. But, beyond that, it's just not for us. Good luck with your shopping, and hopefully, you can find a good deal.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2014, 04:30 PM

If you don't care about handling and generally dislike driving, then it's not a bad choice.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2014, 05:49 PM

There are any number of vehicles that will give you excellent mileage without being a dog to drive like a Prius. Not to mention the MPG numbers Toyota likes to give for the Prius are anywhere from 20-30% overestimation, which is much higher than the usual for cars.

Hybrids are a stopgap technology, and I don't find them appealing in the least...full electric however.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
the MPG numbers Toyota likes to give for the Prius are anywhere from 20-30% overestimation, which is much higher than the usual for cars.
Where are you getting that figure? I'm not seeing that Compare Side-by-Side (estimates from owners)

Hybrids are a stopgap technology, and I don't find them appealing in the least...full electric however.
I basically agree, I would like to get a Volt, but I also don't like to be on the bleeding edge. Maybe in five years I'll go there.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2014, 08:09 PM

I rented one.

Sucked balls. No pickup, and split back windows have always been a bad idea.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If you don't care about handling and generally dislike driving, then it's not a bad choice.

I care about gas mileage. But I also like to have fun while driving.

My choice: 2010 BMW 335d.
Gets 34-35 mpg on my daily commute, but the 425 lb-ft of torque sure comes handy every now and then

-t

akent35
Banned
Jun 26, 2014, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

I care about gas mileage. But I also like to have fun while driving.

My choice: 2010 BMW 335d.
Gets 34-35 mpg on my daily commute, but the 425 lb-ft of torque sure comes handy every now and then

-t
I had a BMW 525i for 13 years, and the first 60,000 miles were fun! But, after that, it became a maintenance nightmare. I would steer clear of BWMs if I were you, especially used ones.

If one is looking for a reliable vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine that gets decent gas mileage, and is not expensive, two excellent choices would be a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla. Either of those would be better than a Prius in regards to noise and handling. Plus, both of them have a solid reputation.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
two excellent choices would be a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla. Either of those would be better than a Prius in regards to noise and handling. Plus, both of them have a solid reputation.
Yeah, Honda and Toyota are at the top of my list for quality. I've never owned a Honda, but have friends who have had great experiences. I've owned 3 Toyotas, 2 Volvos and a Volkswagen, and have had the best reliability out of the Toyotas. I will probably pass my Camry to my daughter who is about to get her license in a few month. It is in such good shape and has been so well maintained that I feel good about it for another 30-40 thousand miles.

I know performance is not a strong point for the Prius, but that is not really a priority for me anymore. (when I was younger, it was) I have about a eight mile work commute and when I need to go for a long trip, we usually use my wife's vehicle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 26, 2014, 09:20 AM

The honda will last forever. It is, however, the missionary of car driving. Also be prepared to see your car everywhere since they're so common, which also is a negative for me.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2014, 11:46 AM

Overall, for price, handling, ergonomics, and fun to drive, I've been a VW guy since 1982. 82 Jetta. 83 GTI, 1995 Jetta, and now a 2004 Jetta TurboWagon with heated seats. The only issue is the hideous roads in DC, which destroy your suspension. Most of the VW's lasted over 170K miles before I sold them.

akent35
Banned
Jun 26, 2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Also be prepared to see your car everywhere since they're so common, which also is a negative for me.
About 4 or 5 months ago, I read that for total world wide sales, the rankings were:

1. Toyota
2. BMW
3. Honda
4. Mercedes

That seems accurate, and definitely for the area of the US I am in, Seattle, WA and surrounding communities. When I was looking to purchase my 2013 Camry in May 2013, I wanted it to stand out as best as I could. The only reasonable way to do that was to choose a somewhat "unique" color. Up here, about 80% of the automobiles are black, white, silver, or grey, with red being somewhat popular also. (The BMW we got rid of was Silver, as is our Mercedes CLK 320). So, I decided to choose Champagne Mica, which is sort of a tan shade. That color is somewhat unique, as I have only seen very few of them. It did present a problem, though, in trying to find that color in the Camry model I required (XLE V6). But, via a dealer trade (dealer in Spokane had one), I was able to get it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 26, 2014, 12:21 PM

About 4 or 5 months ago, I read that for total world wide sales, the rankings were:

1. Toyota
2. BMW
3. Honda
4. Mercedes
Yeah, but you have to take specific models into account. Those late 90s Civics were everywhere.

akent35
Banned
Jun 26, 2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, but you have to take specific models into account. Those late 90s Civics were everywhere.
Agreed. Talking about now, for Toyota, it would be Camry (although there are plenty of Corollas and Prius). For BMWs, it would be any 3 series. Hondas, I would say it's a toss up between Civic and Accord. And, for Mercedes, the C-class seems to be increasing more and more. All of these observations are, again, for the Seattle, WA area.

I did recently read (also just saw it again, via a google search) that just based on total sales numbers, the Toyota Corolla is #1, as over 40,000,000 Corollas have sold world wide since 1997. I can believe that, given what I saw in Hong Kong and Biejing back in 2006, and what I am seeing in the Seattle, WA area.
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM. )

akent35
Banned
Jun 26, 2014, 12:36 PM

I will probably pass my Camry to my daughter who is about to get her license in a few month. It is in such good shape and has been so well maintained that I feel good about it for another 30-40 thousand miles.
I am always truly amazed how many older Camrys I see on the road, including the 1996 model I previously owned! When I was at the dealership the other day getting 15,000 mile service done, I looked at a magazine in the lobby, and it contained an amazing statistic: Toyota had sold 10 million Camrys, and over 6 million were still on the road! Man, over 60% retention rate! I don't think there is any other model that comes close to that, no matter what brand of car.

I also always remember the expression I heard when I purchased our 1996 Camry, brand new, back in September 1996: Trouble free car. That is certainly the truth!
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 26, 2014 at 06:17 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2014, 04:41 PM

My friend had to borrow his little sister's car for a few weeks when his was in the shop. It was an 88' Camry with 210K+ miles, ran whisper quiet under idle, you could barely tell it was running. He took it in to get the oil changed as a favor to his sis and the technician discovered the car had basically no oil in it at all, and was running more or less dry.

I've seen quite a few late 80s Jeeps with high mileage (250K+) run like tops. 4.0L straight six was one hell of an engine.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2014, 04:45 PM

Where are you getting that figure?
Issue of Motor Trend a couple years back. Also, with the nature of how the Prius achieves high mileage ratings, mileage is subject to greater swings than say, a 2.0L 4 cylinder compact. You can drive my Kia gingerly and get 40+ mpg on 87 octane gas, the gains a Prius gives with its added complexity and drivability trade-offs just don't make sense.

I basically agree, I would like to get a Volt, but I also don't like to be on the bleeding edge. Maybe in five years I'll go there.
Tesla is making the best car in America right now, seems to me waiting 5 years is a bit too long. I've already decided my next car after the Kia will be full-electric.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2014, 06:24 PM

Tesla is making the best car in America right now, seems to me waiting 5 years is a bit too long. I've already decided my next car after the Kia will be full-electric.
The one thing I really like about the Volt is the gas generator. Until a system of changing batteries or charging stations become reality, I would want at least the option for farther range.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2014, 05:36 AM

If you want to get some fun and don't need a back seat, a Honda CRZ could be an alternative. Honda hybrids can't run as an EV like the Prius, but it's a 6 speed manual, and it holds up fairly well as an alternative to a Mini Cooper or Fiat 500.

Everyday Driver

Other reviews compare it to bigger diesel coupes like the VW Scirocco or BMW 1 series, but I see it more in line with the 500 and Mini.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Jun 27, 2014, 09:12 AM

Is diesel a serious option in the US yet?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Finally, yes. Seems that ~1/3 of stations carry it now, at least around here.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Yes, and especially in the Mid West.

Diesel is subsidized, in order to add corn ethanol.
The result is that around here, Diesel costs as much (or less) than regular gasoline.

The price fluctuations are also much less. In the last 3 months, Diesel has been in the range of $3.70 to $3.90 at my prefered gast station.
At the same time, regular gasoline went for $3.69 to $4.09.

-t

P
Jun 27, 2014, 01:25 PM

Glad to hear it. Diesel engines have become extremely good in recent years, and a plug-in diesel hybrid always struck me as a very good combination.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 27, 2014, 03:17 PM

The German brands have always offered diesels at a premium cost (even the VW diesels cost several thousand over the base models). But GM is going to offer a Cruze diesel, and Mazda is talking about diesel in the 6, which should both be great options more accessible to the masses.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2014, 11:59 AM

Man, over 60% retention rate! I don't think there is any other model that comes close to that, no matter what brand of car.
I think Land Rover have some phenomenally high figure for the percentage of all Landies ever made still being in use.

Also Rolls Royce, but that's not so surprising.

I've always found SAABs to be pretty bullet proof mechanically. The electrics are weak but the car itself just ploughs on. My 9-5 Aero Estate managed 210K on the original clutch. And thats was the 230BHP version. MPG was stupid bad though.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

P
Jun 28, 2014, 12:35 PM

SAAB isn't around anymore, though. There are some Chinese trying to resurrect it, but they're only making the old 9-3 right now, and not even that is going well.

The 9-5 was positively ancient by the end of its run, because GM cancelled several platforms that it was supposed to be based on. The upside of that is that all the problems had been ironed out by the end, which made it reliable.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2014, 01:42 PM

While we are talking about SAAB, here's the Top Gear tribute to the company from a few years ago, it's cut off a little at the end but it's a good tribute.
Top Gear SAAB bankrupcy - eng on Vimeo

Many odd things went on in their history, and the cars, but I feel the same way as Clarkson and May, I miss them.

andi*pandi
Jun 30, 2014, 04:36 AM

My friend has had two priuses, and no problems. She upgraded to a newer model because it had a bigger trunk space for hauling equipment.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 30, 2014, 09:33 AM

Just a note - the worst place to garner information on reliability is anecdotes - both from others and from your own experience.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Just a note - the worst place to garner information on reliability is anecdotes - both from others and from your own experience.
Yes. There are a lot of opinions on the web, but it's hard to know who's just a fanboy and who has something against a company or product for some weird whatever reason. I thought there might actually be some actual Prius owners here with ownership experience.

By the way, I am looking at and seeing some used Volts out there, and from what I'm reading, they seem to be getting pretty good reviews. The prices are all over the place. It still might be an option if I find a good enough price.

akent35
Banned
Jun 30, 2014, 05:55 PM

I've heard more and more positive things about Teslas, and with the availability of electric charging stations increasing, that could be a viable option if and when we get rid of our 2005 Mercedes Benz CLK 320. Still like that car, though, and with only 60,000 miles on it, we should get some more years of use out of it (my wife drives it over 90% of the time, but just about all her trips are short).

Regarding charging stations, my wife and I like to go to various local Indian casinos 3 times a week or so. Two of them have parking garages, with parking spaces for electric vehicles only. Those spaces are just about empty every time we go, so that could be an easy (and convenient, at least for us) way to charge a Tesla. I also suspect there is little, if any, charge for using them. (We can probably use our Casino club cards to charge the car for free).

HamSandwich
Jul 1, 2014, 03:35 PM

A friend's family has a Prius, two to be precise. They are not very loud either. They are lots of fun. My friend walkes around and told people he drove a Prius for 12 years although he was hardly 20.

Fun...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
My friend walkes around and told people he drove a Prius for 12 years although he was hardly 20.

Fun...

Is that your idea of fun ?

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2014, 06:09 PM

I've heard more and more positive things about Teslas...
I'd love a Tesla, but I'd love more to live in a place where a Tesla was practical.

It's not your ideal polar vortex machine.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2014, 02:50 PM

The Prius is okay but if you keep your cars that long you likely WILL have to replace the battery which is fairly expensive. A coworker just spent something like $2,000 on a refurbished battery for his 2nd gen Prius with 170,000 miles. If you want a comfy fuel efficient compact I would check out the Cruze diesel. I quite like it. OTOH I bought a 2013 Focus last year and really love it. I average 34 mpg mixed driving. It handles fairly well if that's your thing too.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2014, 04:20 PM

Replacing a $2,000 battery would frost my ass if my car also had an IC engine in it.

I'm not even getting into the extra weight two engines take, and the fact they both have to be dinky to leave room for the other.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2014, 07:48 AM

Thread bump. Lexus CT200h ? It's a Prius hybrid system underneath, MPG slightly lower because of aerodynamics, but the interior isn't made of lunchbox plastic .

akent35
Banned
Aug 4, 2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Thread bump. Lexus CT200h ? It's a Prius hybrid system underneath, MPG slightly lower because of aerodynamics, but the interior isn't made of lunchbox plastic .
But, just like the Prius, it comes standard with Leatherette Seats (Ugh!). I will only buy a car that comes standard with Leather Seats. That is one of the primary reasons why I chose my 2013 Camry XLE V6 over the Lexus ES350. The ES350 comes standard with Leatherette Seats, but not heated front seats! The Camry model I purchased has both Leather Seats and heated front seats standard. There are probably a few somewhat "upscale" features that the Lexus has, but they are very close to being the same, including the V6 engine.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 5, 2014, 01:18 PM

My hybrid is the (smaller, cheaper version of the) Prius. In the summer it gets over 60 mpg overall and it's way better than the maintenance-wallet-sucking POS suv that I traded in.

Any questions?

Great. Ask a dealer, and go for a test drive. (Don't go on weekends since reps get busy and more stressed out.)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2014, 02:20 PM

But, just like the Prius, it comes standard with Leatherette Seats (Ugh!). I will only buy a car that comes standard with Leather Seats. That is one of the primary reasons why I chose my 2013 Camry XLE V6 over the Lexus ES350. The ES350 comes standard with Leatherette Seats, but not heated front seats! The Camry model I purchased has both Leather Seats and heated front seats standard. There are probably a few somewhat "upscale" features that the Lexus has, but they are very close to being the same, including the V6 engine.
I don't understand you insisting on leather seats being standard.

Paying for a premium trim with leather seats might be a viable option.
By choosing a car that comes with leather seats standard, you might be paying for other premium features that you don't want / need.
The decision must be made on a case by case basis.

-t

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2014, 03:14 PM

Since you originally posted this thread, I've been watching to see how many Prius' I see on the road. Crap, in my neighborhood alone I see 5! The rest of us are in SUVs/CUVs or trucks of course.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
That's interesting, I didn't know they made this. I'm not all that worried about style and luxury. I've driven a few Priuses(?) now and I'm fine with the interior.

I'm still looking and it seems in my neck of the woods that 2-4 year old with less than 40k mileage range from $16-20K. My wife has been a bit leery of the Prius, but she's now on board after I found this article. Looks pretty reliable.

Leather for a seat is also not high on my priority list, but to each his own.

akent35
Banned
Aug 13, 2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don't understand you insisting on leather seats being standard.

Paying for a premium trim with leather seats might be a viable option.
By choosing a car that comes with leather seats standard, you might be paying for other premium features that you don't want / need.
The decision must be made on a case by case basis.

-t
Forget about cloth seats. They are uncomfortable. Leathrette seats make automobiles (especially luxury cars) look cheap. Last summer, I saw a brand new Mercedes E350 sedan parked in downtown Seattle, and it had leatherette seats. Sure made the car look cheap, that's for sure! (The E350 2-door coupe comes standard with leather seats).

I had a bad experience with leathrette seats, but that was for a higher end car (1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale). The seats started ripping after only 4 years of use, even though I took real good care of them. Maybe the technology has improved, maybe not. But, we have had leather seats in all of our cars sine 1988 (6 of them), and never had an issue.

You are correct about wanting leather seats as standard equipment on some vehicles, as one could also be getting other costly equipment that is standard, but not necessary. That was the dilemma I faced when shopping for a new car to replace our 2001 BMW 525i back in May 2013. (The other item I require, heated front seats, is also not necessarily standard, but if it is, has similar "packaging" issues like you stated for leather seats). Based on everything I looked at (plus prior experience), that is why I chose the 2013 Toyota Camry XLE V6. It comes standard with leather seats, heated front seats, air conditioning, and of course the V6 engine. There was nothing really "extra" as far as standard equipment was concerned. There were two pieces of optional equipment that just about all those models have, but I'm glad I got them. One is a blind spot monitoring system, very invaluable. The other is a Premium Navigation System, which has also come in handy. The V6 is very, very responsive, even more so than the V6 in our 2005 Mercedes Benz CLK 320 (came standard with leather seats).

Two other important things with that choice: we previously had a 1996 Toyota Camry XLE V6, again with all the features I wanted as standard equipment. Best car we have ever had, had it for 8 1/2 years, ran fantastic, not a bit of trouble (of course, there are the standard items like oil changes, brakes, tires, and battery, but absolutely nothing else), and still ran great when we traded it in. Secondly, after eliminating luxury models, my goal was then to find a car that had all the features I wanted as standard equipment, and that the final cost, after trading in our BMW, tax, license, etc. needed to be less than $30,000. Well, by going through Costco's buying program, I got the Camry for $29,300, out the door. I was pleased, and to this point, it is truly a great car! And, the leather seats are great!

akent35
Banned
Aug 13, 2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
Since you originally posted this thread, I've been watching to see how many Prius' I see on the road. Crap, in my neighborhood alone I see 5! The rest of us are in SUVs/CUVs or trucks of course.
Here in the Seattle area, I do see quite a few Prius' on the road. But, I also see an almost equal number of Corollas and Camrys. Also, quite a few Rav4s, Highlanders, Honda Civics, and Honda Accords.

Back in1996, the Toyota Corolla surpassed the VW Volkswagen as the top selling model in the world, and it still holds that distinction. (Recently read where Toyota had sold over 40 million of them world wide). If I were to get a "smaller" car, that would be my choice. Yeah, a Prius is fantastic for gas mileage, but it is too small for my needs. Plus, some people I know that own them tell me about issues with the view out of the rear window being somewhat restricted, along with them being somewhat noisy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2014, 07:58 PM

I had a bad experience with leathrette seats, but that was for a higher end car (1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale). The seats started ripping after only 4 years of use, even though I took real good care of them. Maybe the technology has improved, maybe not.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 13, 2014, 08:11 PM

I gave up on cloth vs. (real) leather for seats. I've sat on both long enough to just not care anymore.

However, I feel that premium leather should be mandatory in vettes.

All other cars I don't care about what seat it is as long as it is comfortable for my always-aching back/neck/jaws.

andi*pandi
Aug 13, 2014, 09:36 PM

I found it very hard to find leather seats in the midrange trim level for subaru. They wear better and resist kid spills, and my car has to last the next 10 years.

I had dealers courting me offering to put them in for $1000. So it isn't hard to put them in. The car I bought the previous owner had done it.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2014, 06:39 AM

Yeah, Subie's midrange trims are all ****ed up. After a lot of fooling around, I realized that their audio system could only connect to one BT phone at a time regardless of trim level. Was so disgusted I almost dropped them entirely, but eventually got the base Forester and have been extremely happy, minus never having BT calls on my phone. :/

I'm going to also hold my tongue on someone judging leathette from a '75 Olds. But I actually prefer cloth as a rule. Not as easy to clean, but not nearly as hot in the summer, and not nearly as freezing cold in the winter.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

akent35
Banned
Aug 14, 2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I found it very hard to find leather seats in the midrange trim level for subaru. They wear better and resist kid spills, and my car has to last the next 10 years.

I had dealers courting me offering to put them in for $1000. So it isn't hard to put them in. The car I bought the previous owner had done it.
It of course depends upon the model of car you want, and if that model includes a "trim" that has leather seats (and in a number of instances, heated front seats) as being standard. Luckily, for the Camry, the (non-hybrid) XLE V6 has all of that as standard equipment. There are some autos where it is available as an option, but then one is most likely paying too much to the automobile manufacturer. For example, on a "stripped down" Camry LE 4 cylinder, the Leather package option (includes Leather-trimmed Ultrasuede seats; Leather door trim with integrated armrests; Multi-stage heated front seats; Four-way power adjustable front passenger seat) costs MSRP $1,515, Invoice $1,348. On a Corolla or a Prius, there is no such option available (for the Corolla, leatherette is an available option) from Toyota.
( Last edited by akent35; Aug 14, 2014 at 03:29 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules