Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk - come in, we'll talk, no big whoop (Shaddim's bloggish thing)

Car Talk - come in, we'll talk, no big whoop (Shaddim's bloggish thing) (Page 13)
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2013, 12:35 PM

I added another EV to the herd, a Tesla Roadster, though I wasn't home when it was delivered. It has a new battery pack and was inspected and recertified by Tesla. My wife still loves her Model S and won't drive anything else now. Who can blame her? It has the performance of a German super-saloon, the storage capacity of a large estate, and the friendliness and vigor of a much-loved Jack Russell terrier. It's durable too, we had a problem with a sensor, and there was a software issue that wiped out her personal settings and trashed her GPS for a week, but otherwise it's been perfect. Last week it passed 15k miles and it still gets >90 MPGe. Car of the Year? Believe it. If you're still sitting on the fence, stop waiting. It's every bit as good as you imagine it to be.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2013, 01:03 PM

For my average daily usage case one of these would fit the bill really well. Nearly all my trips are very local. 95% of the time it's daily range would be fine.

This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2013, 01:47 PM

Is that built by Tonka?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2013, 03:59 PM

An EV would be fine, but I live in an upstairs flat and park on the street, so that's not going to happen.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 10, 2014, 01:57 PM

Everyone should avoid telling Shaddim about that new Tesla dual-drive Model S. The one that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, can do autonomous parallel parking, or drive from the garage to your front door to be ready for you. It also resists hitting other cars in traffic, even if the driver is inattentive.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 10, 2014, 02:11 PM

He already texted Elon Musk to order a pre-production model.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2014, 02:16 PM

OAW

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2014, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Everyone should avoid telling Shaddim about that new Tesla dual-drive Model S. The one that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, can do autonomous parallel parking, or drive from the garage to your front door to be ready for you. It also resists hitting other cars in traffic, even if the driver is inattentive.

You can turn off all the assistive stuff, the TC too (but not the ESC). I have no problem with cars being able to do those things, as long as they aren't required.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
He already texted Elon Musk to order a pre-production model.
How did you know?! Yeah, I have ordered it, I'm trading in the old one.
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2014, 02:26 AM

Surely Shaddim has already pre-ordered the DOUBLE D model.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Oct 11, 2014 at 02:40 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2014, 10:35 AM

OAW:

What I don't get is: if you're so convinced that Shaddim is a fictional character, why the envy? Why on earth would you give two shits and a wet willy about the money he claims to have/spend if it's not real, anyway?

And, more to the point (the other aspect doesn't really affect me): why can't you shut the **** up and leave the persona in place for those of us who seem to enjoy it, real or imagined?

Are you expressly trying to drive Shaddim off the forums by exposing him as a sham or annoying him to pieces? Why, in god's name?

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
OAW:

What I don't get is: if you're so convinced that Shaddim is a fictional character, why the envy? Why on earth would you give two shits and a wet willy about the money he claims to have/spend if it's not real, anyway?

And, more to the point (the other aspect doesn't really affect me): why can't you shut the **** up and leave the persona in place for those of us who seem to enjoy it, real or imagined?

Are you expressly trying to drive Shaddim off the forums by exposing him as a sham or annoying him to pieces? Why, in god's name?
I've caught him in multiple lies so he's trying to retaliate. He went so far as to attempt a cyberstalking campaign on other sites, claiming I'm some guy from Kentucky (the admins know pretty much exactly where I live, and it's not Kentucky), for the purpose of outing me and invading my privacy. I say attempt because the info he'd so painstakingly gathered was entirely false. He was 100% sure, though, based on Photobucket links and the coincidence that the other person is also a deputy somewhere. You may not be aware of it, but MacNN is very high in Google search results for anything, including images, and since people often hotlink pictures from anywhere (HuffPo's been busted for it numerous times)... well, you get the idea.

Anyway, I finally said "screw it" and posted an image of an IP search that went all the way to my local NOC (I live within reasonable walking distance of it) just to put the subject to bed. However, that caused a panic with the admins, then they; locked the thread, deleted a bunch of posts, and politely asked me to not do that again. No, it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, I suppose if some nutcase were extremely diligent it could have put my family in danger. Now I'm like "what the hell was I thinking?" because I'm generally very good at not doing that kind of thing, but lately I've been loaded up on Percocet, from where I nearly tore off my foot last week (broke almost every bone in my ankle), and it seems to impair my judgement a fair amount. Thanks again to the admins for that.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2014, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
You can turn off all the assistive stuff, the TC too (but not the ESC). I have no problem with cars being able to do those things, as long as they aren't required.

How did you know?! Yeah, I have ordered it, I'm trading in the old one.
How many miles do you have on the Model S now? Curious as to how the interior is holding up. Can't wait for the 3 series competitor, I hope it leases well.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2014, 02:47 PM

OAW:

What I don't get is: if you're so convinced that Shaddim is a fictional character, why the envy? Why on earth would you give two fire and a wet willy about the money he claims to have/spend if it's not real, anyway?

To me his insistence on sharing facets of his alleged wealthy lifestyle is either intriguingly tone deaf (in not being unable to relate to others) or intriguingly insecure, or both. It's even more intriguing when he claims to provide counseling to rich celebs (or whatever it was), as well as combined with all of the other interesting parts to his life (e.g. his openly polygamous marriage, his being in a militia, etc.)

I like intriguing, intriguing is entertaining, I want him to be here. My advice to you Shaddim is not to expend so much effort trying to share and get people to buy into these things you claim are a part of your lifestyle. Speaking for myself, no offense (this applies to everybody), you are a guy on the internet - I have no idea whether what you claim is your lifestyle is your lifestyle, and I don't really care. It's not jealousy, it's not even necessarily complete disbelief or refusal to believe, it's ambivalence. I think this is probably the best way to approach the internet as a whole - there is no benefit to taking what some guy who calls himself Shaddim (or whatever) says seriously.

I've made the mistake of letting people's questioning of my skills on the internet get to my head too when they don't seem to have relevant qualifications and experience. I've learned the same thing there: to them I'm just a guy on the internet as well. We're all just guys on the internet.

If I get a chance to meet you in person, this would surely change, but until then...

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
To me his insistence on sharing facets of his alleged wealthy lifestyle is either intriguingly tone deaf (in not being unable to relate to others) or intriguingly insecure, or both. It's even more intriguing when he claims to provide counseling to rich celebs (or whatever it was), as well as combined with all of the other interesting parts to his life (e.g. his openly polygamous marriage, his being in a militia, etc.)

I like intriguing, intriguing is entertaining, I want him to be here. My advice to you Shaddim is not to expend so much effort trying to share and get people to buy into these things you claim are a part of your lifestyle.
It's all relative. To people living in abject poverty any discussion about electronic toys, travel, or new cars would seem like bragging or superfluous fluff. They're struggling to survive and all you ever do is have fun (from their perspective), and guess what, as smartphones with internet access become more ubiquitous in emerging markets, you're going to start hearing this: "Yeah, yeah, you have a nice house, a new car, and fancy clothes. Aren't you special? I ate a handful of rice yesterday, asshole."

The things were own are trivial, when we aren't enjoying them they're just a point of conversation, and if other people want to get bent out of shape over it then that's their problem.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
How many miles do you have on the Model S now? Curious as to how the interior is holding up. Can't wait for the 3 series competitor, I hope it leases well.
My wife's put over 15k miles on it and it looks like it did when we bought it, but she's crazy about keeping it clean and taking care of it. I think the Model 3 is going to be something really special, essentially a shrunk down Model S, and I just about guarantee it'll be backordered 12 months within a couple hours of going on sale. It'll absolutely be one of those situations where you have to be ready to commit on short notice or you'll be waiting a loooong time.
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2014, 05:44 PM

It's all relative. To people living in abject poverty any discussion about electronic toys, travel, or new cars would seem like bragging or superfluous fluff. They're struggling to survive and all you ever do is have fun (from their perspective), and guess what, as smartphones with internet access become more ubiquitous in emerging markets, you're going to start hearing this: "Yeah, yeah, you have a nice house, a new car, and fancy clothes. Aren't you special? I ate a handful of rice yesterday, asshole."

The things were own are trivial, when we aren't enjoying them they're just a point of conversation, and if other people want to get bent out of shape over it then that's their problem.

Then why is your social status as well known as my immature sense of humor, Turtle's grouchiness, or Abe's Abeness? Why is is a pretty established thing?

reader50
Administrator
Oct 11, 2014, 06:04 PM

Perhaps because we all like to talk around the watering hole. We know a fair amount about each other ... because we've known each other for years. Hope we never get to the crotchety grunts stage, like old married couples.

Ugg, mumble, shopping, besson! no erg.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2014, 06:26 PM

My wife's put over 15k miles on it and it looks like it did when we bought it, but she's crazy about keeping it clean and taking care of it. I think the Model 3 is going to be something really special, essentially a shrunk down Model S, and I just about guarantee it'll be backordered 12 months within a couple hours of going on sale. It'll absolutely be one of those situations where you have to be ready to commit on short notice or you'll be waiting a loooong time.
Very cool.

I'm sure I'll have to wait until the third generation Model 3 until I can have the luxury of being on a waiting list for transportation Unless it happens to be available as my current lease is up *fingers crossed*

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2014, 10:20 PM

Then why is your social status as well known as my immature sense of humor, Turtle's grouchiness, or Abe's Abeness? Why is is a pretty established thing?
My social status isn't that different than most here, my best friends aren't wealthy, I wear Levi's jeans and regular t-shirts (under my coveralls that I wear in the shop). I just have expensive hobbies.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2014, 11:28 PM

To me his insistence on sharing facets of his alleged wealthy lifestyle is either intriguingly tone deaf (in not being unable to relate to others)
Why is this tone deaf?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2014, 04:56 PM

OAW:

Envy? What would possess you to think our conflict is even remotely about that?

Well I'm certainly not trying to drive anyone off the forums. Just because I and a whole lot of other people around here think he's full of sh*t is neither here nor there. It takes all kinds to make a world right? So I will chalk this up to you perhaps being unfamiliar with the history of the conflict. I won't relay it all here but suffice it to say that Shaddim is known to get his digs in which typically go ignored ... but the moment I start to snap back on him then he wants to play the victim. Whining like a little p*ssy about "personal attacks". I offered the dude a truce days ago which he promptly rebuffed in PM and in the thread. I made it very clear ... don't start, won't be none. But keep digging if you want to. Well he kept digging. And so now we see how that worked out for him. The point here is that I will respond in kind. If he chooses to stay on topic with me then I will do so with him. But if he chooses to make things personal I can roll with that too. It's just that simple.

OAW

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2014, 09:16 PM

From the OAW Dictionary: "Get his digs in" = pointing out where OAW's lying

As for the rest, when you attempt to stalk someone from a forum around the Net, digging for unrelated personal information, in the hopes you can use it against them (for the purpose of public humiliation)... Well, that has to be an all new low around here.
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2014, 10:24 PM

From the OAW Dictionary: "Get his digs in" = pointing out where OAW's lying
Feel free to actually prove that. Because you are real good at just talking.

As for the rest, when you attempt to stalk someone from a forum around the Net, digging for unrelated personal information, in the hopes you can use it against them (for the purpose of public humiliation)... Well, that has to be an all new low around here.
Stalk? Publicly posted info that's easily revealed by a 5 second Google search is more indicative of someone who's inclined to tell fanciful tales simply not covering his tracks. In any event ... perhaps the best thing for all involved is that you just keep my name out your mouth? How 'bout that?

OAW

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2014, 11:24 PM

Why are the admins allowing this stupid childish feud to escalate??

This has gone way too far, and needs to stop!
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2014, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Feel free to actually prove that. Because you are real good at just talking.
I've already highlighted in other threads where you've made things up and distorted details to suit you, it's redundant at this point.

Stalk? Publicly posted info that's easily revealed by a 5 second Google search is more indicative of someone who's inclined to tell fanciful tales simply not covering his tracks. In any event ... perhaps the best thing for all involved is that you just keep my name out your mouth? How 'bout that?
One of the most telling signs that a person has an Antisocial Personality Disorder is that they can't measure how far over the line they've gone, or even where the line is ("I haven't done anything wrong, I'm just fighting back"), but they're always quick to minimize and cover up what they've done ("5 second Google search", ) then act glib about the whole matter ( ). Along with the lies and cover-ups, they show high intelligence (and love to brag about it, ie. "I have a great memory"), have a very quick temper, are extremely manipulative, and won't admit they've made any mistakes. They'll do whatever they can to damage an "enemy" and won't stop until they have no choice (or in some cases their enemy is dead).
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2014, 07:05 AM

Antisocial Personality Disorder
Frankly, attempting to diagnose psychoses from behavior on the internet is like judging somebody's health from their Hallowe'en costume. Don't.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Envy? What would possess you to think our conflict is even remotely about that?
I'm trying to figure out your motivation for caring.

My own personal motivation for caring is that your "conflict" is getting ****ING ANNOYING.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2014, 09:26 AM

^^^

You have your answer right there. That post you just responded to is a prime example of what I'm talking about when I say he just "keeps digging." But in the interest of forum harmony I'm going to just let that one slide.

OAW

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by unicast reversepath View Post
Why are the admins allowing this stupid childish feud to escalate??

This has gone way too far, and needs to stop!
I agree, besson should be punished.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2014, 11:41 AM

Frankly, attempting to diagnose psychoses from behavior on the internet is like judging somebody's health from their Hallowe'en costume. Don't.
Online trolls are narcissists, sadists and psychopaths, says study - CNET
Internet troll personality study: Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, sadism.

There is a strong link between online behavior and personality disorders, many in fact.

I'm trying to figure out your motivation for caring.

My own personal motivation for caring is that your "conflict" is getting ****ING ANNOYING.
All I've wanted is for him to stop distorting and mischaracterizing what I've said. It started in the PL and moved out here.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I agree, besson should be punished.
speaking of personality disorders... j/k

kinda
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2014, 01:21 PM

This needs to be watched, Mr Regular hits the nail squarely on the head (the last half of the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilDx44g-VzA
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 13, 2014, 02:21 PM

How quickly you seem to have forgotten Rob vs. Railroader.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
How quickly you seem to have forgotten Rob vs. Railroader.
You're right, I forgot about that. Was that what led to RR being perma-banned? As for Ca$h... well, there's at least a dozen reasons why he's (officially) no longer around.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2014, 06:30 PM

I think RR was just constantly negative and only showed up to complain and rag on people. He never actually did anything huge, it was explained as a pre-emptive permaban.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2014, 12:51 AM

He allegedly sent a "threatening" PM to a mod.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2014, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
He allegedly sent a "threatening" PM to a mod.
http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...lease-tell-me/

They claim that was the trigger, but not the cause of the permaban.

Railroader was not banned, because he did not want to comply with our request to leave besson alone. He was banned, because he sent a threatening pm to a staffer. After he was asked nicely to tone it down (which he refused). This was the trigger, not the cause! We have no inclination letting someone stick around who doesn't reciprocate a certain minimal amount of respect.
Of course, RR said he didn't make a threat, and Doofy saw the PMs and claims there was no threat. It was a conspiracy!

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2014, 10:38 AM

Ehh... looking back over my PMs with Doof at the time, since I'd forgotten about the whole thing, but it could be construed has a type of threat if you looked at it in a broad sense. I would say acted moderately threatening instead of "made threats". It wasn't the type of behavior you show towards a mod if you want to stay on friendly terms with them (or even care about sticking around that forum any longer). As a type of example: Disagreeing with them in PMs is okay, screaming and being an entitled d-bag isn't. They're volunteers trying to keep the peace, they don't need that crap.
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2014, 12:46 PM

I am with the Cherman. Who cares whether Shaddim is real or a figment of his own imagination living in a basement and greeting at Walmart?

Whenever I've spoken to him privately he's been courteous and helpful and for that I am grateful.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2014, 02:06 PM

I would also like to point out, it's not like Shaddim was this lost, helpless forum member who needed to come up with the "money gambit" as a desperation ploy to save a dull posting history.

andi*pandi
Oct 15, 2014, 08:45 AM

like judging somebody's health from their Hallowe'en costume. Don't.
Well there goes my idea for an Ebola costume.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2014, 10:20 AM

Woohoo! I'm back at work, got a power chair w/ huge battery and I'm free again. The cabin fever was about to drive me crazy.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I would also like to point out, it's not like Shaddim was this lost, helpless forum member who needed to come up with the "money gambit" as a desperation ploy to save a dull posting history.
A 10 year ploy, no less. That's keeping an eye on the long game, there.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules