Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I bought an M3

I bought an M3 (Page 2)
Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 29, 2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Oh, look who's back. Well, can't say this honeypot of a thread hasn't worked.

-t
All of my dreams are coming true.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2014, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
All of my dreams are coming true.
You masterbaiter.

-t

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 29, 2014, 05:50 PM

Pushed it into the garage and started in on the detailing today.

I've found $2.08 in change so far, the car is basically paying for itself.

andi*pandi
Dec 29, 2014, 06:18 PM

OreoCookie
Dec 30, 2014, 11:32 AM

As a German, I still don't understand why you would want to take such a nice specimen of a car and create a German V8 Franken muscle car. It's an oxymoron, sort of like an all-wheel drive mustang.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
As a German, I still don't understand why you would want to take such a nice specimen of a car and create a German V8 Franken muscle car. It's an oxymoron, sort of like an all-wheel drive mustang.
I mean, I thought I was clear - the US-spec E36 engine is weak as shit. With the V8, it will be lighter, faster, better balanced, simpler, more reliable, and more fun to drive. There are literally no downsides.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2014, 11:47 AM

Leather reconditioned, carpets scrubbed and shampooed, interior cleaned and vacuumed. Then I got the rear up on dollies so I can swing it out of the way.

It's 3°F outside and the garage isn't too much better. Probably stay inside for today. I'll have to find something to do.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2014, 11:48 AM

Too sexy

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2014, 12:21 PM

I mean, I thought I was clear - the US-spec E36 engine is weak as shit. With the V8, it will be lighter, faster, better balanced, simpler, more reliable, and more fun to drive. There are literally no downsides.
"More fun to drive"? That's quite subjective. Those cars were built to be "wrung out", similar in ways to a Honda S2000, the fun comes at the top of the rev range. Part of the fun of driving cars like that, at least for me, is working to keep them in that range. (If you have an slushbox all that goes out the window, though.)
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2014, 12:33 PM

What does your being German have to do with anything? You feel some sort of kinship with this car or something?

Also, V8 doesn't automatically mean "muscle car".

OreoCookie
Dec 30, 2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
What does your being German have to do with anything? You feel some sort of kinship with this car or something?

Lighten up, I was being facetious (as if the link didn't make that obvious).

OreoCookie
Dec 30, 2014, 05:34 PM

I was trying to make you a compliment, the car looks like it's in great shape (at least from what I can tell). I forgot how understated the second-gen M3s were, they're quite elegant. How are the internals, anything seriously wrong with it (apart from the fact that you want to swap the engine)?

As far as putting the V8 in, I was just curious whether you're worried that the engine swap won't change the character of the car -- after all, you are into retro stuff (I'm thinking of your bike projects), and modern cars usually run circles around older models. So I thought you picked up the M3 for its character (»small« displacement, high-revving, raspy inline 6 coupled to the 3-series chassis). (Back in the day, my dad's 320 TE with 220 horsepowers felt seriously fast. Nowadays you can buy a VW Polo that has almost as much power.)

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2014, 06:22 PM

I am a big fan of BMW. I have an e36 of my own, though not an M. Keep posting updates for this project!

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2014, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Too sexy
T-molding comes this week to finish off the rough edges. Need to get some more adhesive to finish off the carpeting, then it should be done.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2014, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
"More fun to drive"? That's quite subjective. Those cars were built to be "wrung out", similar in ways to a Honda S2000, the fun comes at the top of the rev range. Part of the fun of driving cars like that, at least for me, is working to keep them in that range. (If you have an slushbox all that goes out the window, though.)
Thanks for sharing.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2014, 09:27 PM

Lighten up...
Oh...now you know I can't do that...

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2014, 09:57 PM

As far as putting the V8 in, I was just curious whether you're worried that the engine swap won't change the character of the car -- after all, you are into retro stuff (I'm thinking of your bike projects), and modern cars usually run circles around older models. So I thought you picked up the M3 for its character (»small« displacement, high-revving, raspy inline 6 coupled to the 3-series chassis). (Back in the day, my dad's 320 TE with 220 horsepowers felt seriously fast. Nowadays you can buy a VW Polo that has almost as much power.)
Some consider the E36 M3 to be the best-handling chassis of the '90s. Even in stock form, its skidpad and braking numbers are seriously good, and it's a total lightweight compared to modern cars. It's 100lbs lighter than even the current 1-series M. This generation M3 was never a small displacement high-revving car like the S2000 or Miata, the '96-up 3.2 was actually decently torquey, peaking fairly early in the rev range. Broadening the power band will improve drivability where the car will be used most.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2014, 12:25 AM

Some consider the E36 M3 to be the best-handling chassis of the '90s. Even in stock form, its skidpad and braking numbers are seriously good, and it's a total lightweight compared to modern cars. It's 100lbs lighter than even the current 1-series M. This generation M3 was never a small displacement high-revving car like the S2000 or Miata, the '96-up 3.2 was actually decently torquey, peaking fairly early in the rev range. Broadening the power band will improve drivability where the car will be used most.
Well, they were 4s, for a 6 it was very high-revving for that era, with a redline in the 6500-7200 RPMs (and sound amazing when you wind them out). Also, you really can't compare weight to modern cars, because modern cars have much more advanced suspension systems. 3200lbs was quite a lot at the time, really, especially compared to the previous gen E30 M3 which was about 500lbs lighter. Many (most) journalists gave BMW down the road (heh) over the weight gain.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2014, 02:14 AM

I miss my 325ix.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2014, 03:42 AM

(…) I forgot how understated the second-gen M3s were, they're quite elegant.
That rear spoiler doesn’t do elegance any favour. Is it stock.? Does it have any real purpose.?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2014, 09:31 AM

Well, they were 4s,
Weird, no one else was talking about the E30. Not sure why you would bring it up.

for a 6 it was very high-revving for that era, with a redline in the 6500-7200 RPMs
That's the stupidest thing I've ever read. It was not 1962. EVERYTHING could hit 6500rpm. Even Ford of all manufacturers had V6s good for over 7000. The E36 engine was shit and there is nothing special about it or its driving experience. Please stop trying to play car expert in my thread, it's not working.

Also, you really can't compare weight to modern cars, because modern cars have much more advanced suspension systems.
I take it back!! THIS is the stupidest thing I've ever read! You think suspension is where modern cars are gaining weight? Hahahaha. It's a MacPherson front and multilink rear, same as the new M3/M4. Same as plenty of modern cars. And since you missed the actual conversation I was having, the question was in regards to how this compares to a more modern car.

3200lbs was quite a lot at the time, really, especially compared to the previous gen E30 M3 which was about 500lbs lighter. Many (most) journalists gave BMW down the road (heh) over the weight gain.

Don't you have your own thread where you can go to pretend to talk about cars? You're not doing so well in here, it's pretty embarrassing.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post

Woah...blast from the past! Where have you been for the past 3 years??

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Not being a car guy I don't have much to contribute other than to say that's a nice looking old-school Beamer. I'll lurk and check out the pics for sure. Are you considering a car stereo with Car Play?
I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it. It looks like there are only a couple of aftermarket receivers that support CarPlay at this point. They're all double-din height (I have a single-din slot), and they start at $600. For $100 I can get a decent receiver with full Bluetooth and hands-free support that fits in a single-din slot.

Pioneer SPH-DA120:

Perhaps in time they'll make a single-din with a flip-up screen that supports CarPlay. But even then, my understanding is that CarPlay requires the phone be plugged in via USB, which is a 100% deal breaker for me. No way I'm plugging in and unplugging my phone every time I get in and out of the car.

OreoCookie
Dec 31, 2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
That rear spoiler doesn’t do elegance any favour. Is it stock.? Does it have any real purpose.?
I doubt it has a strong effect on the aerodynamics of the car. However, if you look at more recent M3s, then these have grown bulges, holes, flares and all that to make the car look more distinct from its regular 3-series brethren. Compared to that I find the addition of a spoiler quite toned down. But personally, I'd prefer a sleeper car if I had the choice.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2014, 03:21 PM

But personally, I'd prefer a sleeper car if I had the choice.
Same here. Between the spoiler, bumpers, and side skirts you can kind of tell at a glance that it's a little special, but to most it will just be an older BMW. I'll keep the stock wheels and make sure the exhaust is subdued. No reason to stick out more than necessary.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2014, 03:41 PM

Perhaps in time they'll make a single-din with a flip-up screen that supports CarPlay. But even then, my understanding is that CarPlay requires the phone be plugged in via USB, which is a 100% deal breaker for me. No way I'm plugging in and unplugging my phone every time I get in and out of the car.
That was a weird decision on Apple's part to require the iPhone to be plugged in with the Lightning connector instead of simply using Bluetooth. Not sure if there was a technical limitation or Apple just sitting on the capability to debut as a "new" feature in the next model.

OAW

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2014, 05:28 PM

You can't patent bluetooth. You can you're fancy new connector.
It's more likely a charging consideration.

OreoCookie
Dec 31, 2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
You can't patent bluetooth. You can you're fancy new connector.
It's more likely a charging consideration.
Yeah, and to be honest, I was thinking »Why wouldn't you plug in your iPhone«, because this way, you have a GPS as well. There is a TomTom cradle + app, and the cradle also contains a better GPS antenna.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 PM

My phone doesn't get enough battery life for me to use it as a music player while I'm driving and not plug it in.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2015, 01:11 PM

Exactly right. CarPlay will suck battery just like GPS usage.
It's useless w/o cable charging.

Who wants to LEAVE their car with a half empty phone ?

-t

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
My phone doesn't get enough battery life for me to use it as a music player while I'm driving and not plug it in.
I drive on average <1 hr/day, but I'm in and out of the car a lot. Bluetooth all the way.

I leave Sunday for another month abroad, so the M3 has been banished to the driveway and the Focus gets to be cozy inside.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2015, 02:35 AM

Today I saw an LS3 wedged into a `94 RX7, ugh.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2015, 01:44 PM

Good. The entirety of an LS3 engine is simpler than the vacuum system in the stock RX7.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2015, 02:31 PM

I mostly felt bad that he unwittingly ruined the car's value. Like last gen Supras, their prices are climbing fast.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2015, 04:03 PM

To show where I am on the "car person" continuum, I thought an LS3 was another car.

Thus, you were describing a collision.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2015, 04:52 PM

Oh, it was a "collision" alright.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2015, 09:06 PM

I mostly felt bad that he unwittingly ruined the car's value.

Like last gen Supras, their prices are climbing fast.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2015, 04:53 PM

Megasquiiiiiiirt.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2015, 07:41 PM

Looking forward to more updates, Laminar. I've always been quite fond of the E36 sedan, I'm excited to see where this leads. Hoping to pick up an E36 M3 sedan after I get more than a one car garage

Forum Links
Forum Rules