Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > SUV Talk; Also, Persian Rugs

SUV Talk; Also, Persian Rugs (Page 9)
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2015, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It looks like the 2nd largest market in the world isn't interested in them.
It's all about the models they do try to sell here (largely the mediocre garbage). As I was saying before, it's the wrong ones. If they sold the sportier, more limited cars in the USA, their sales would be much stronger.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2015, 09:50 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2015, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
iMitchell is Shaddim's alt /twist

No.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2015, 07:57 AM

Haven't followed this thread so it may have already been mentioned : VW Tuareg.

The Gentleman farmer types seem to like them from what I hear.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 12, 2015, 10:13 AM

I wouldn't mind a V10 twin turbo Touareg, as long I wasn't responsible for the repair bills.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I wouldn't mind a V10 twin turbo Touareg, as long I wasn't responsible for the repair bills.
Funny, for at least one of those Gentleman Farmers (that I know personally), it was the repairs of his Land Rover that pushed him to get the Tuareg. Not sure what model he has though.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2015, 10:59 AM

The diesel models make great work horses.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Again to be clear: I'm a language geek. I draft and interpret language for a living. So I find this sort of thing interesting, although I'm sure others might regard it in low light. Necessary semantics when it forms the basis of disagreement.
I think maybe you spend too much time "geeking out" over language, rather than actually using it to communicate with people. Jus' sayin'.

andi*pandi
Jun 12, 2015, 11:43 AM

On my way to work this morning, I saw something that looked like a Scriracca... it was a Golf. Same difference, right?

</stirs pot>

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 12, 2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
On my way to work this morning, I saw something that looked like a Scriracca... it was a Golf. Same difference, right?

</stirs pot>
Don't cross the line, Andi.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I think maybe you spend too much time "geeking out" over language, rather than actually using it to communicate with people. Jus' sayin'.
Mmmmmmhmmmmmmm.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

</stirs pot>
No more than it looks like a Ford Fiesta or a Chevy Spark, they're all small hatchbacks.

Golf

Scirroco

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 12, 2015, 03:38 PM

andi*pandi
Jun 12, 2015, 04:31 PM

Hot sauce, meets hot hatchback.

P
Jun 12, 2015, 04:47 PM

No more than it looks like a Ford Fiesta or a Chevy Spark, they're all small hatchbacks.

Golf

Scirroco
Latest Golf GTi is pretty close to the Scirocco, though, at least from the front. The Scirocco has a lower front, which the Golf cannot afford (because a low front kills the EuroNCAP rating for pedestrian collisions, unless you have exterior airbags like the Volvo V40, and that rating probably matters more for a Golf), but if you have big rims on the GTi, they can be mistaken for each other. Until you see them from the back, but then you might as well read the badge.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2015, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Latest Golf GTi is pretty close to the Scirocco, though, at least from the front. The Scirocco has a lower front, which the Golf cannot afford (because a low front kills the EuroNCAP rating for pedestrian collisions, unless you have exterior airbags like the Volvo V40, and that rating probably matters more for a Golf), but if you have big rims on the GTi, they can be mistaken for each other. Until you see them from the back, but then you might as well read the badge.
I don't see it, the Scirocco is much more muscular (largely due to the pronounced rear fenders, re. its "haunches"), but whatever.
Possibly the greatest general condiment ever.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2015, 10:39 PM

mindwaves
Jun 13, 2015, 12:26 AM

I have to say that the Nissan Juke intrigues me. Ugly for sure, but it is growing on me.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2015, 04:54 AM

I don't understand the Juke and you would really need to explain further this attraction. Styling is always subjective but at least other notoriously styled vehicles like the Cube or Aztec included a practical component - "yeah it looks wacky but check this out...". The Juke has few if any redeemable qualities - they take the small go-cart concept of the Mini and expand upwards into the "crossover" space, removing a good part of the performance go-cart feel - yet it still has a cramped cabin, no cargo space, terrible mileage, and weird interior styling. And if you want "hot hatch" or rally performance there are far better options elsewhere.

I mean, I guess there is always a market for the "it looks different" crowd. But you want to have redeemable qualities, no?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2015, 05:39 AM

I'd like to get a Juke R (in particular the recently announced Nismo), just because it's a GT-R in disguise, but it is kind of an ugly beast, for sure.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2015, 08:01 AM

Actually looks pretty badass in that outrageous hot hatch sort of way. Out of mild curiosity, how much? If it's a mini GT-R I assume it's not in the same league as stuff like the JCW Mini or the WRX STI?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2015, 09:54 AM

How much? ~$700k. No, I didn't accidentally add another 0 on that. The "regular" Juke R was nearly $650k. Yes, it would beat up the JCW and STI and take their lunch money, but it should for what you're paying.

Actually I've seen clips of them terrorizing Ferraris and even Bugattis, but again, it should for that price.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2015, 12:04 PM

LOL, ridiculous would be too mild to describe this.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2015, 01:51 PM

That works out to 22 Kangoos.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I have to say that the Nissan Juke intrigues me. Ugly for sure, but it is growing on me.
See a doctor. Get it removed.

Neighbour has one. Looks like shite. Very small inside.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2015, 01:56 PM

Holy shit I missed a terrible argument. Yeah, I'm not in Seattle anymore. Though I did mean "we" as in automobile enthusiasts collectively. Enthusiasts often demand a certain specific type of car (AWD diesel wagons in the US, for example), and then when an automaker actually starts selling such a car no one buys it. People wanted a Scirocco/Corrado rebirth for years (apparently forgetting what a terrible car the Corrado actually was) and now that VW put it out there, it's sold very poorly in comparison to the cars its based on. VW's a special basket case though, because they frequently make mistakes when they try and understand certain markets. (See below)

It's all about the models they do try to sell here (largely the mediocre garbage). As I was saying before, it's the wrong ones. If they sold the sportier, more limited cars in the USA, their sales would be much stronger.
Sportier cars won't improve VW's sales in America. Americans don't want sporty cars, they want reasonably priced crossovers. The Tiguan is a joke when you compare it to other crossovers like the CX-5, CR-V, and even the Outback. Absurdly high pricing, mediocre fuel economy, dated infotainment, dated safety features. IMO, if VW North America had to stand on its own it would have been bankrupt years ago.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2015, 07:55 PM

I can't say that I disagree with you. The Jetta has always been their best seller for a reason. A speedier, cooler and more expensive Golf is not going to break any sales records.

Agreed on the Tiguan. You'd have to be crazy to get one over a Forester. The Touareg was pretty nice although the ones I am personally familiar with all have poor service records - not sure if that's an accurate description though.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
So far, I'm lovin' the **** out of it. Not even the slightest tinge of regret.

What's surprising is I'm feeling almost no burn from giving up the amenities in the X5. I was worried I had falsely convinced myself I'm no frills. Turns out I am that way. I want terrestrial radio... and that's it. The seats are rougher on my sciatica, but there's nothing I can really do about that, and was expecting it.

While you can't help but notice the 150 missing horses, what they squeezed out of this 4-banger is incredible. 9-speed transmission FTW.

I don't mind, but I need to get used to doing things like turning on my headlights. They thought this out though. Headlights won't run unless the car's running, so I can in theory just always keep them on. Overall, that is the watch-phrase for the van in general: it's well thought out.

As I've mentioned, it smells funky, but at least it's chemical funky and not rotting matter funky.

The truck designation doesn't bother me, though I have a lifetime of skill built up ignoring admonitions for trucks. By far the most irritating thing about it is you need special, vertical market GPS if you want a properly edited set of maps. Buying that doesn't bother me, but lacking the traffic routing features of Waze does.

I'm giving serious thought to "de-trucking" the plates. There's no way a cop thinks this is a truck without specifically knowing. Considering what flies as "not-a-truck", I think the dealer may have made a mistake.
Awesome. Although I poked fun, I honestly suspected you'd like it. You were putting utility first and foremost in your posts which is why I had suggested the Subaru (being a generally non-luxury-focused applicable brand IME). I mean.....I wasn't crazy enough to suggest a utility van but you get the idea.

I would definitely find out how much a ticket on the parkway is going to be. Assuming SUVs and Minivans are allowed it might be possible to play the innocent card and talk your way out of the first ticket....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2015, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Holy shit I missed a terrible argument. Yeah, I'm not in Seattle anymore. Though I did mean "we" as in automobile enthusiasts collectively. Enthusiasts often demand a certain specific type of car (AWD diesel wagons in the US, for example), and then when an automaker actually starts selling such a car no one buys it. People wanted a Scirocco/Corrado rebirth for years (apparently forgetting what a terrible car the Corrado actually was) and now that VW put it out there, it's sold very poorly in comparison to the cars its based on. VW's a special basket case though, because they frequently make mistakes when they try and understand certain markets. (See below)

Sportier cars won't improve VW's sales in America. Americans don't want sporty cars, they want reasonably priced crossovers. The Tiguan is a joke when you compare it to other crossovers like the CX-5, CR-V, and even the Outback. Absurdly high pricing, mediocre fuel economy, dated infotainment, dated safety features. IMO, if VW North America had to stand on its own it would have been bankrupt years ago.
The Scirocco would have sold like mad here, if the 500 Abarth, GTI (they stay on backorder), Golf R, and Focus/Fiesta ST are any indication. We in the US don't get many real hot hatches, unlike the EU and UK, so any that we do receive fly off dealer lots.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Awesome. Although I poked fun, I honestly suspected you'd like it. You were putting utility first and foremost in your posts which is why I had suggested the Subaru (being a generally non-luxury-focused applicable brand IME). I mean.....I wasn't crazy enough to suggest a utility van but you get the idea.

I would definitely find out how much a ticket on the parkway is going to be. Assuming SUVs and Minivans are allowed it might be possible to play the innocent card and talk your way out of the first ticket....
I looked a bit at the applicable laws, and they're bullshit.

On one hand, I can understand it from a literal standpoint. Passenger vehicles get passenger plates, non-passenger vehicles get truck plates.

On the other hand, there's a Promaster passenger/taxi model. That, I presume, gets passenger plates.

They're the same van.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2015, 04:37 PM

Christ... $115 and a moving violation.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2015, 05:13 PM

This is my banned map. There are some important streets in here. One of them I take to the studio.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 14, 2015, 06:41 PM

If you'd gone for the passenger version with windows, you could have covered the windows inside for the same result. Only with car plates. Is it still possible to change modes? ie - have a mod store add two of the missing windows, apply for the car plates, then cover the windows?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2015, 07:15 PM

Repapering it as a passenger vehicle is probably more trouble than it's worth. We're getting kicked out of the studio for real this month, anyway.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 14, 2015, 08:23 PM

No way to fight this? Your studio is nationally recognized (NPR) and has been around since 2013. So the location is both famous and historic.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2015, 01:00 AM

The Scirocco would have sold like mad here, if the 500 Abarth, GTI (they stay on backorder), Golf R, and Focus/Fiesta ST are any indication. We in the US don't get many real hot hatches, unlike the EU and UK, so any that we do receive fly off dealer lots.
Except they don't fly off dealer lots... You can search pretty much anywhere in the U.S. right now and find most of that list (apart from maybe the Golf R which just went on sale) for barely more than dealer invoice.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
No way to fight this? Your studio is nationally recognized (NPR) and has been around since 2013. So the location is both famous and historic.
Sadly, the tiny desk studio is in my apartment, the studio studio is getting dyno-mited.

I like the van enough it's actually made me consider moving. Just like my old car, my apartment made a whole lot more sense when I was with my ex. Now, I could use something a bit more industrial.

It'd be a hard apartment to leave though. It's a former ballroom from a 1920s hotel. You don't just say good bye to that if you can help it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2015, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Except they don't fly off dealer lots... You can search pretty much anywhere in the U.S. right now and find most of that list (apart from maybe the Golf R which just went on sale) for barely more than dealer invoice.
That's the benefit of internet search, you can find new cars regionally and nationally rather easily now, and cars shouldn't sell for more than dealer invoice, anyway, unless it's some seriously limited release vehicle. However in this case I just checked, and of all those new cars I mentioned, only 2 GTIs (both automatics), 1 each of the Focus and Fiesta STs (each at $2k over invoice), and zero 500 Abarths & Golf Rs, are within 100 miles of me. That's out of 32 Ford, VW, and Fiat dealerships. Holy hell, since this is "Ford country", there should be a couple Focus and Fiesta STs on every lot at any given time, but they can't keep them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2015, 09:18 AM

There are 8 new Focus STs within 100 miles of me, all of them priced well under MSRP. There are 16 new GTIs within 100 miles of me, all of which are listed at MSRP (at least according to Autotrader). Remember how someone accused you of trying to extrapolate your little world to be representative of the whole earth?

Also, only a fool would equate availability with desirability.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2015, 11:45 AM

There are 8 new Focus STs within 100 miles of me, all of them priced well under MSRP. There are 16 new GTIs within 100 miles of me, all of which are listed at MSRP (at least according to Autotrader). Remember how someone accused you of trying to extrapolate your little world to be representative of the whole earth?

Also, only a fool would equate availability with desirability.
Thanks for proving my point, since your area is so much more densely populated than mine. Do you even try to reason these types of things out before typing them, or does it all just spring from your fingertips automatically? Inquiring minds want to know.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2015, 01:13 PM

As a quick palate cleanser before the next round...

Do I rustproof the Kangoo?

I have a sneaking suspicion that like getting a spare tire, it's something you're expected to take care of on your own.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2015, 01:20 PM

That sounds advisable.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2015, 01:40 PM

Thanks for proving my point, since your area is so much more densely populated than mine. Do you even try to reason these types of things out before typing them, or does it all just spring from your fingertips automatically? Inquiring minds want to know.
Yes, so much more densely populated that I have far fewer dealerships than you?

Also, way to ignore the damning portion of my post.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2015, 03:17 PM

Yes, so much more densely populated that I have far fewer dealerships than you?

Also, way to ignore the damning portion of my post.
I read it, but it's ignorant twaddle so I skipped it.

Also, only a fool would directly compare the number of car dealerships with the number of people who live in a region, given how diverse dealership sizes, and the laws relating to them, can be in various parts of the country. You're off your game today, man.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2015, 09:22 PM

Picked up the AboveTEK tablet holder for my iPad Mini cum GPS. It's a monster. I like it so far. I'd trust it to hold a full size tablet without breaking a sweat. It's almost overkill for the Mini.

One of the nice touches on the van is it's got an overhead shelf for clipboards and the like. Perfect hidden spot to stash the Mini when I park.

Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Smartphones and Tablets | AboveTEK

reader50
Administrator
Jun 15, 2015, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Do I rustproof the Kangoo?
I've long been suspicious of rustproofing treatments. If they worked, manufacturers would do them at the factory and extend their warranties. They don't, so it follows that rustproofing doesn't do anything before the warranty runs out.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2015, 11:49 PM

Are you planning to keep the car for >10 years? If not, I'd skip the rustproofing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2015, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I've long been suspicious of rustproofing treatments. If they worked, manufacturers would do them at the factory and extend their warranties. They don't, so it follows that rustproofing doesn't do anything before the warranty runs out.
On one hand, I can buy that. On the other, if you did it at the factory, it would end up in (and mess with margins at) places which really don't need it, like Arizona.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2015, 12:29 AM

Are you planning to keep the car for >10 years? If not, I'd skip the rustproofing.
I'd probably like to keep it more than 10 years, but that's been exactly where the last two died, and I don't really plan on being nice to it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2015, 12:51 AM

10 years on a DD that you'll be beating on a lot is asking quite a bit, by then you'll likely be getting into the area of "it costs more to fix than it's worth".

Forum Links
Forum Rules