Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dell recall

Dell recall
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2001, 06:28 PM

The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2001, 01:43 PM

Damn Dell is my favorite PC company. I wish this would happen to Compaq or Gateway......wait they already should considering the sh*t quality their computers are. O well.

------------------
--->Sk

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2001, 02:39 PM

And that is why Apple doesn't consider Compaq and Gateway "competition" because they have **** service. Dell, however is considered competition by Apple.

I dislike Dell. They make PCs.

------------------
Albert Wu

There IS a spoon!
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

EqualTime
Feb 5, 2001, 10:19 AM

maybe one day Apple will make products that are as good as PCs.
"Anyway.... I don't think that would ever happen, as if we bred out the stupids, we'd have no democrats left."

- Ca$h

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2001, 06:03 PM

The PC in and of itself is a great machine, its just the way most companies (95%) carry out the duty of manufacturing them and supporting them. Dell is by far the closest to the Mac in quality (at least their prof. grade stuff). I will buy a PC once Windows no longer is the standard on it.

Imagine for a second a Dell Dual 733 P!!! running OSX (drooling sounds).

------------------
--->Sk

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 12:13 PM

We should be excited by this thought because Intel makes superior chips?
I don't get it.

Originally posted by sek929:
The PC in and of itself is a great machine, its just the way most companies (95%) carry out the duty of manufacturing them and supporting them. Dell is by far the closest to the Mac in quality (at least their prof. grade stuff). I will buy a PC once Windows no longer is the standard on it.

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2001, 12:53 PM

I'll take a dual G4 733 running OSX. Make a dual Dell look like a cheap calculator.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

iCartman
Senior User
Feb 7, 2001, 01:03 PM

I'll take a dual G4 733 running OSX. Make a dual Dell look like a cheap calculator.
After what you'll pay for a dual 733, a cheap calculator is probably all you can afford

------------------
respect mah athoritah!
respect mah athoritah!

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 01:10 PM

I have owned and worked on both PC's and Macs, and you are right that leading edge Apple equipment tends to be more expensive than equivalent PC equipment, but let me tell you, PC's are like people, they are all the same on the inside!! Unless you buy a no-name bargain clone, you are truly getting ripped off.

Originally posted by iCartman:
After what you'll pay for a dual 733, a cheap calculator is probably all you can afford

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2001, 06:41 PM

What about Compaq and Gateway, the two biggest names in computers, are those cheap clones cause they sure do suck and are ripoffs no matter what you pay.

As for the dual 733 we don't even have ONE 733 available yet (to the best of my knowledge) nevermind a Dual one. Dell P!!! 733s DO exsist and therefore I would want that to run OSX.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm a Macaddict, if i didn't have a Mac i wouldn't buy a Dell, just now that i have a pretty bitchin setup I'd like one, thats all.

------------------
--->Sk

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 10:58 PM

Compaq and Gateway, what are they? We have dual 500's and I bet it beats a dual 733 from that joke called Dell anyday.

What about Compaq and Gateway, the two biggest names in computers, are those cheap clones cause they sure do suck and are ripoffs no matter what you pay.

As for the dual 733 we don't even have ONE 733 available yet (to the best of my knowledge) nevermind a Dual one. Dell P!!! 733s DO exsist and therefore I would want that to run OSX.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm a Macaddict, if i didn't have a Mac i wouldn't buy a Dell, just now that i have a pretty bitchin setup I'd like one, thats all.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2001, 08:37 AM

I don't think Dell is all they are said to be. Many odd things have been found in their machines... They also make horrable servers. Ever see those things? They aren't intended for 24x7... They are office computers with RAID hard drive configurations. I would prefer an Mac, Compaq, IBM, or SUN (especially SUN) over the Dell.

------------------
MacVillage.net Owner/Webmaster
http://www.macvillage.net
Macintosh Portal
Email, Free Tech Support, Web Space, Search, Directory, and MUCH MORE!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2001, 08:35 PM

"Compaq and Gateway, what are they? We have dual 500's and I bet it beats a dual 733 from that joke called Dell anyday."

Yeah sure dude maybe in Photoshop filters but a P3 dual 733 could SPANK a dual 500 in everyday activities (due to the not-so-great multiproccesing of the MacOS) whenever it wants to. (although i bet it would cost 10 times as much to power)

------------------
--->Sk

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2001, 09:01 PM

Why a dual P3 733. Why not a dual 1 GHz Xeons?

RichardET: The dual 500 G4 is an excellent Photoshop workstation, but in standard office productivity and accounting/database applications, it can't touch a PC in performance or software availability.

Macvillage: A Mac as a server? You've GOT to be kidding. We have a DEC Alpha server (NT4) and a Dell P3/733 server at work and both are workhorses in our prepress workflow. Also, in terms of support, when one of the hard drives went down in the Dell, a new drive arrived in 3.5 hours after we called tech support. The technician arrived about 15 minutes later to install it. This is apparently standard for Dell servers.

Oh, and btw, Apple also makes personal computers (aka PCs).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2001, 09:32 PM

OK let me say this ONE MORE TIME. Yes Dual 1ghz Xeons would be cool but theyd also cost an arm and a leg. I want the best PC for my money if i do decide to get one(would be nice). You are right on about the processors though. Most of the time the second G4 just sits there making heat, aka when not used in Photoshop.

Ive used a single 733 Dell at my sisters firm and i was mighty impressed. Awesome machines, crashed less than the G4s they had there

If i had it alonside my iMac i would be the happiest boy on Earth since now i could have ALL the programs i want and/or need that may not be on the MacOS.

------------------
--->Sk

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2001, 10:10 PM

sek929, That makes sense. I just thought if you're going to dream, dream BIG! Personally, I just like computers regardless of processor or OS. The more the merrier.

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2001, 10:41 PM

Well, applications need to take advantage of vector processing..Intel doesn't have it

Originally posted by tonymac:
Why a dual P3 733. Why not a dual 1 GHz Xeons?

RichardET: The dual 500 G4 is an excellent Photoshop workstation, but in standard office productivity and accounting/database applications, it can't touch a PC in performance or software availability.

Macvillage: A Mac as a server? You've GOT to be kidding. We have a DEC Alpha server (NT4) and a Dell P3/733 server at work and both are workhorses in our prepress workflow. Also, in terms of support, when one of the hard drives went down in the Dell, a new drive arrived in 3.5 hours after we called tech support. The technician arrived about 15 minutes later to install it. This is apparently standard for Dell servers.

Oh, and btw, Apple also makes personal computers (aka PCs).

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2001, 10:51 PM

Ive used a single 733 Dell at my sisters firm and i was mighty impressed. Awesome machines, crashed less than the G4s they had there.
Crashing does not reflect upon the quality of the hardware. Crashes reflect on the OS.

Put OS X on those G4s, and then you'll see which brand crashes more.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

andypolack
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2001, 06:33 PM

MacOS is better (I Hate Windows, Microsoft and anything else that runs on windows and not on Mac!)

I agree, if P.C. had a better OS I would have an Athlon by now!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2001, 04:50 PM

Then why does my friends self-built computer with Win98 Crash less than my other friends new Gateway with Win98. No special tweaking or anything, even use the same theme (if thats what its called). Components can crash a computer and do other wacky things easily, if not easier than an OS can

------------------
--->Sk

Forum Links
Forum Rules