Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > You'd better keep your grass cut and green

You'd better keep your grass cut and green
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2007, 06:39 PM

Otherwise you're likely to get arrested. Simply incredible!

BBC NEWS | Americas | Woman jailed for 'neglected' lawn
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2007, 07:44 PM

This whole "green" movement has gone way too far

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2007, 07:45 PM

Some cops having no business being cops.

I hope the lady tears up her lawn and covers the dirt with the ugliest bark available, just to piss off her neighbors.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2007, 07:49 PM

She was arrested for obstructing the officer when he was trying to issue a citation, not for her lawn. And honestly, I find it more likely that an old lady was discombobulated than that an officer hit her in the face with a pair of handcuffs. I feel bad for her, but I'm not sure the officer was in the wrong here.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2007, 07:55 PM

Why didn't they just send her a ticket in the mail? Just send a warning in the mail, or even attach the fine to her property taxes. Why send the police? Do cops down there have nothing better to do with their day? I wonder how long it takes them to respond to a 911 call, if they are out ticketing people for conserving water?
My Blog-pakos.me

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
She was arrested for obstructing the officer when he was trying to issue a citation, not for her lawn. And honestly, I find it more likely that an old lady was discombobulated than that an officer hit her in the face with a pair of handcuffs. I feel bad for her, but I'm not sure the officer was in the wrong here.
he was trying to issue her a written warning basically that her lawn condition was against some ordinance... Yeah, she was askin for it

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2007, 08:09 PM

Land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
he was trying to issue her a written warning basically that her lawn condition was against some ordinance... Yeah, she was askin for it
What are you trying to say here? That when I'm pulled over for speeding with no license plates, I should just be able to spit in the officer's face, tell him to piss off and drive away? I'm sorry, but it's necessary to cooperate when a police officer is trying to carry out his duty. If she thinks the citation is bullshit (and it may very well be), she can challenge it.
Chuck
___

andi*pandi
Jul 8, 2007, 08:29 PM

she went to sit down. doesn't sound like she swung a broken bottle at him or anything violent or remotely resembling "resisting" a ticket.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2007, 08:39 PM

What are you trying to say here? That when I'm pulled over for speeding with no license plates, I should just be able to spit in the officer's face, tell him to piss off and drive away? I'm sorry, but it's necessary to cooperate when a police officer is trying to carry out his duty. If she thinks the citation is bullshit (and it may very well be), she can challenge it.
No, Im trying to say that is quite alright for you to do that AND sleep with the cops wife, shake his newborn baby, kick his dog, and piss on his porch.

If you think its ok to arrest someone who isnt cooperative in the course of a dying grass investigation, thats fine with me, your opinion. I happen to think that besides the bad PR move of arresting a 70 year old over dead grass, its a waste of tax payer time, and I would bet that there are cops out there that wouldnt have arrested the purp, I mean, old lady. Im not advocating anarchy here.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2007, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
she went to sit down. doesn't sound like she swung a broken bottle at him or anything violent or remotely resembling "resisting" a ticket.
She refused to identify herself. Both her account and the cops' account agree on that point. So they decided to take her in to find out what they needed. It's perhaps not the best call ever, but cops do more ridiculous things on a daily basis.
Chuck
___

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2007, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
She refused to identify herself. Both her account and the cops' account agree on that point. So they decided to take her in to find out what they needed. It's perhaps not the best call ever, but cops do more ridiculous things on a daily basis.
She was on her own property. If some Gestapo bastard tried to caution me over the state of my bloody lawn, I wouldn't co‑operate either, in any shape or form. Whatever happened to actually going after criminals, instead of harassing old age pensioners at their homes? Disgusting.

Rumor
Jul 9, 2007, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Some cops having no business being cops.

I hope the lady tears up her lawn and covers the dirt with the ugliest bark available, just to piss off her neighbors.
Or pour diesel on the lawn to kill it and leave it a barren patch of dirt.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2007, 04:54 AM

I find the fact that the government insists on taxing one's home ridiculous enough. But now we need to cater to the local government's whims concerning what we do in our homes, and often the local government (county or city) is so powerful that even successful lawyers are afraid to take them on. I have a friend who's a lawyer and he was telling me a few stories about how lawyers were "punished" after daring to confront the county or city government about matters like this. This is the sad state of "democracy" we are expected to tolerate.

A man's home is his castle.-- Hahahaha! How times have changed!

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Or pour diesel on the lawn to kill it and leave it a barren patch of dirt.
Or she could just use a crapload of water on a useless lawn during a drought, that makes sense.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 12:46 AM

Prediction: this case gets appealed to the supreme court; old lady loses

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 07:46 AM

She refused to identify herself. Both her account and the cops' account agree on that point. So they decided to take her in to find out what they needed.
Why would the policeman even need to know who she was? If there is a law in the municipality that you have to keep your lawn green (ridiculous in itself, but no surprise in a state where you're told which kind of underwear to wear) then the city could have mailed the owner of the property a ticket. If she's the owner she would have got it, if not then why would it matter who she was? It's not that they can hold random persons responsible who happen to stand on the lawn at the time the police drives by.
( Last edited by TETENAL; Jul 10, 2007 at 07:53 AM. )

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 11:28 AM

um, they wanted to just give a warning

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2007, 11:31 AM

I don't know, but I think both sides come out looking pretty stupid in this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules