Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox 3.5.2 no longer loads

Firefox 3.5.2 no longer loads
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 08:39 AM

When launching FF 3.5.2, the icon blinks quickly, as if it's launching, but nothing further happens. Yesterday, on launch, a box popped up very briefly, saying something about installing some updates or add-ons, and it hasn't worked since on my main user account. I've trashed the app, downloaded a fresh install, and it won't cooperate.

The odd thing is, it works fine on my secondary user account.

-Q-
Aug 17, 2009, 09:53 AM

Have you tried removing the Firefox folder in ~/Library/Application Support? It might be something in your profile that's gotten corrupted and preventing the application from launching. Don't trash the folder just yet, but drag it to the desktop and FF will create a new one.

I think the crash logs are also stored in there so you might check them out to see if they can provide any insight.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 03:03 PM

Tried that, but it doesn't help. It acts like it wants to launch, but doesn't.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2009, 03:42 PM

Open the Console application, then try to launch Firefox. An error message should hopefully show up in the console detailing what exactly went wrong.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 05:31 PM

This is what happens when I try to launch when Console is open.

August/17/2009 August/17/2009 5:28:00 PM com.apple.launchd[73] ([0x0-0x21a21a].org.mozilla.firefox[2358]) Exited with exit code: 1
August/17/2009 August/17/2009 5:28:00 PM com.apple.aslmanager[2357] aslmanager(2357) malloc: *** error for object 0x102100: double free
August/17/2009 August/17/2009 5:28:00 PM com.apple.aslmanager[2357] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
August/17/2009 August/17/2009 5:28:00 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager[2357]) Exited abnormally: Segmentation fault
August/17/2009 August/17/2009 5:28:20 PM com.apple.launchd[73] ([0x0-0x21c21c].org.mozilla.firefox[2361]) Exited with exit code: 1

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2009, 05:41 PM

Well, that's just great. The aslmanager tool, which is supposed to be doing the logging, is itself crashing. That's just... superb. I assume it does that each time you try to launch Firefox?

Can you check your home/Library/Logs folders for crash reports related to either Firefox or aslmanager?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 06:40 PM

There are no crash logs for Firefox, and I am unable to find anything in Library named aslmanager. It does this everytime I try to launch. Here's what I got the last time.

August/17/2009 August/17/2009 6:36:58 PM com.apple.quicklook[2562] quicklookd[2562]: [WSX] Will not load into com.apple.QuickLookDaemon as the hard coded exclude list says no.
August/17/2009 August/17/2009 6:37:21 PM com.apple.aslmanager[2564] aslmanager(2564) malloc: *** error for object 0x102100: double free
August/17/2009 August/17/2009 6:37:21 PM com.apple.aslmanager[2564] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
August/17/2009 August/17/2009 6:37:21 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager[2564]) Exited abnormally: Segmentation fault
August/17/2009 August/17/2009 6:38:44 PM com.apple.launchd[73] ([0x0-0x235235].org.mozilla.firefox[2576]) Exited with exit code: 1

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2009, 06:48 PM

Sorry, the directory for the logs should have been ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter. I must have been distracted or something.

Well, if it works under another user, then it has to be something in your home folder. I'd start by nuking ~/Library/Caches, logging out and then back in, and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, trashing ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox, and then the org.mozilla.mozilla.plist, org.mozilla.firefox.plist files in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder, and maybe ~/Library/Application Support/Console. Other than that, you can just keep taking things out and back in until you narrow down the culprit.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 09:46 PM

I've trashed all that, but I keep getting one constant file reappearing in the Crash Reporter folder. It is

Intervals_00000000-0000-1000-8000-001EC20A850B.plist

I trash it, log out or restart, and it comes back, with the current time. I've taken all the apps out of my Account Login Window, and one keeps reappearing as well, and that's the Logitech Control Panel for my keyboard and mice. The odd thing is, this just started yesterday. I've trashed Firefox, reinstalled it, and nothing seems to work. I guess I'll figure out a way to compare home folders on both accounts, and plug away at it over the next few days.

Thanks very much for the help.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2009, 10:51 PM

What's the file say that's showing up in CrashReporter?

Ah... Logitech... the one that puts a hack in /Library/InputManagers. Okay, let's go to /Library/InputManagers, drag everything that's in there to the Desktop, disable any APE modules you may have, then logout and back in, and see what happens.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2009, 10:57 PM

Why would something in /Library affect only one user?

I'm not doubting that the craptastic LCC isn't screwing something up.. But generally speaking, /Library effects everyone on the machine.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
What's the file say that's showing up in CrashReporter?

Ah... Logitech... the one that puts a hack in /Library/InputManagers. Okay, let's go to /Library/InputManagers, drag everything that's in there to the Desktop, disable any APE modules you may have, then logout and back in, and see what happens.
Done; it still won't launch. I keep removing the Logitech Control Panel from the Login Window in Accounts, but it keeps showing up when I log back in.

The file that also keeps coming back in the Crash Reporter is

Intervals_00000000-0000-1000-8000-001EC20A850B.plist

Bizarre (to me anyway)

Edit: When I'm in my admin account there are no files or folders in the Library/ApplicationSupport/Firefox folder, but when I'm in my guest account there are a Crash Report folder, a Profiles folder, and a profiles.ini file in the Library/ApplicationSupport/Firefox folder. I've always run it out of my admin account, and when it stopped responding, I trashed it and downloaded it from that account, but it only runs in the guest account.
( Last edited by OldManMac; Aug 17, 2009 at 11:48 PM. )

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 11:08 PM

FYI; figured it out. There was an article recently at macworld, which described how to empty the Library/Caches folder of useless Caches on internet sites, and it also stated that one could lock the folder after emptying it. I did that right around the same time as this problem showed up. I unlocked the Caches folder in my home folder, and Firefox is once again working well. Thanks for trying to help, CharlesS!!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2009, 02:45 AM

Well well well... this would seem to indicate to me that you didn't really delete ~/Library/Caches like I asked you to five posts back.

Seriously, good to see that your problem is now fixed.

Cold Warrior
Aug 21, 2009, 02:49 AM

That path (I assume you meant ~/Library/Caches) is more than Internet caches. You really shouldn't be locking it.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
That path (I assume you meant ~/Library/Caches) is more than Internet caches. You really shouldn't be locking it.
Here's a link to the article I mentioned about locking Caches. Apparently, I misread it, and locked the wrong folder.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1422...age_cache.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules