Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Wow, kill innocent civilians and get a few days in jail,

Wow, kill innocent civilians and get a few days in jail,
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2009, 12:29 AM

and an almost immediate release, while everyone now complains about the Lockerbie bomber getting out after 8 years. Lt. Calley has spent the last 40 years as a free man, having spent only a few days in jail, after being ordered released by Nixon, and waits 40 years to issue an apology, and there's no outrage. Interesting double standard.

http://www.alternet.org/story/142312...risy__/?page=2

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2009, 12:36 AM

Interesting. Because I was just reading about the My Lai Massacre 2 days ago. I forgot why I started looking that up.

They all making a movie about it with Bruce Willis in it and directed by Oliver Stone.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2009, 06:04 AM

Pretty lame attempt to call 'double standard'. Basically apples and fire extinguishers.

One event was current (the release, and reaction from Libya) the other happened 40 years ago and is only currently newsworthy because of an apology. Plenty of people were outraged when it actually happened.

It has as much to do with the Lockerbie bombing, as anything else that was news in 1974.

But I guess this is the bottom of the barrel you have to scrape in order to manufacture some 'double standard' with two completely unrelated things, decades apart.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2009, 09:34 AM

Of course, you would see it that way, just because you wouldn't admit that it is in fact a double standard. It has nothing to do with the time, or who was outraged 40 years ago. It has to do with the fact that Calley got off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist for slaughtering (and even that's a mild word to denote what he did) innocent people, including women and children. There is a double standard.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Of course, you would see it that way,
The non-crazy leftwing looking desperately for a lame moral-equavalance 'argument' way? You're right, I would see it that way. Apparently the whole rest of the world besides one crazy blog saw it that way too, including the people of Vietnam.

just because you wouldn't admit that it is in fact a double standard.
There might be a double standard if Calley had just been released from jail, given a hero's welcome in the US, to the outrage of victims families in Vietnam- but then, that's NOT what happened.

No one reacted the Lockerbie terrorist being released to a hero's welcome by saying to themselves, "Hey, let's go back to 1974 and look at every other injustice until we find one to pretend to get equally outraged over too!" because that's stupid. People reacted to the Lockerbie terrorist incident based on its own merits, not compared to anything else, unrelated, and certainly not from 4 decades ago.

According to your 'logic': If someone is shocked and outraged over someone gunning down 7 people TODAY, it's a "double standard" because they also aren't shocked and outraged over the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

Here's a newsflash for you: in another 30 years, no one will automatically get outraged over the Lockerbie terrorist being released, vs. whatever current injustice that's actually news at the time.

I realize these are difficult concepts for you.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2009, 01:19 PM

Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi is going to be the part of the celebration(via video) of the 40th anniversary of the Muammar al-Gaddafi/Kaddafi/Qadhafi coup.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules