Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Six down, 44 to go!

Six down, 44 to go!
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2011, 07:39 AM

Awesome! The day is coming when people will realize that all the fussin' and fightin' over this issue was stupid. (Well, most people will; some will go to their graves getting bent out of shape over something that doesn't affect them)

New York governor signs same-sex marriage bill into law - CNN.com
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2011, 07:50 AM

New York legalizes gay marriage, and already my wife is on a plane for the other side of the country!

My marriage has been destroyed! (Until I meet up with her again on Tuesday...)

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2011, 09:55 AM

Between the fact that the state budget was done on time, the property tax cap, and this vote , Cuomo has proven that he knows how to get votes for his agenda in the divided Legislature. Either he really is an effective politician, or he's got some good blackmail material on the Republicans in the Senate who ended up voting for it.

With a record like that, he's making himself a good Presidential candidate in 2016, at least to people who don't have heebie-jeebies over the gays being so gay.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2011, 09:56 PM

proud of my state

why do conservatives care again?

religion right? kinda dumb...sorry but yesh

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2011, 11:47 PM

The fact that gay marriage is still an issue is disappointing. Sort of like the fact that Barack Obama becoming President was a milestone was disappointing. It just shows that prejudice is still alive and well in America.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2011, 01:31 AM

Considering that 31 states have amended their constitutions to ban gay marriage, it would seem that nationwide acceptance won't happen for a very long time, if ever.

Government has no business being involved in marriage, at all.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2011, 04:31 AM

I agree in a basic sense, but I'm curious what's your take on being able to get citizenship for a spouse?

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Considering that 31 states have amended their constitutions to ban gay marriage, it would seem that nationwide acceptance won't happen for a very long time, if ever.

Not a minor detail to be sure, but states have been known to revisit their constitutions once in a while, and peoples' views do change. Older people are more likely to be against gay marriage, and as they die, the current young, who are more tolerant (because they realize their lives aren't affected by gay people) will offer little to no resistance to changing constitutions and laws.

The fact still remains that, just over a decade ago, there were no states that afforded its citizens these rights; gay marriage is the fastest growing rights issue ever. It took many decades for blacks to be equal citizens, and it took many decades for women to be afforded the right to vote.

It will happen. The only thing temporarily blocking it now is the shrill screaming of a a few, but vocal, people who aren't secure in their own beliefs.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2011, 04:23 PM

As young liberals age and observe the world they become conservative. I don't agree with the argument.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
As young liberals age and observe the world they become conservative.
We have old liberals. I don't agree with that argument.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
It will happen. The only thing temporarily blocking it now is the shrill screaming of a a few, but vocal, people who aren't secure in their own beliefs.
Temporarily? It's a constitutional amendment, passed by the populace, right? I imagine it's a much larger hurdle to get repealed compared to state legislatures passing a law.

The greatest genius in having the amendment passed is it feeds on complacency.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2011, 05:30 PM

As young liberals age and observe the world they become conservative. I don't agree with the argument.
Gays become less gay when they get older? I don't think it works that way.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post

If government has no business being involved in marriage, does this mean that you do not support states banning gay marriage?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2011, 08:28 PM

^^

that's a really good question besson

the state is still the government...

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2011, 09:57 PM

That's a tired old myth.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2011, 10:03 PM

That's a tired old myth.
Indeed. As if people that become liberal as they age don't exist as well. There are numerous lIberals that were conservatives under Reagan and/or George H. W. Bush

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If government has no business being involved in marriage, does this mean that you do not support states banning gay marriage?
Oh sh*t, making me click your damned post so I can read it...

No, I don't support the ban. Barring government getting the hell out of the marriage business, which won't happen, I support any mentally sound adults getting married. That includes heteros, gays, and poly-unions.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 12:41 AM

Shaddim: I commend you for your consistency. I agree too

P.S. stop making me click your damn posts

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2011, 09:43 AM

Awesome! The day is coming when people will realize that all the fussin' and fightin' over this issue was stupid. (Well, most people will; some will go to their graves getting bent out of shape over something that doesn't affect them)
While I don't give a toss if two folks of any persuasion want to get married to each other (i.e. be as gay as you like as long as you're not doing it on my lawn), it's not true to say that it won't affect people.

For example, there's been numerous examples of guest houses turning away gay couples and being prosecuted for it. Basically, owners of guest house follow religious rules and thus don't allow unmarried or gay couples. So gay marriage in law most certainly affects those who choose to live by certain religious convictions. The shouty gay couples tend to force their ways onto everyone else and don't care about anyone else's rights.

Of course, the obvious solution to all of this is to make divorce illegal (or at least make the marriage vows an enforceable contract). Then we'll see how many peeps get married.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
For example, there's been numerous examples of guest houses turning away gay couples and being prosecuted for it. Basically, owners of guest house follow religious rules and thus don't allow unmarried or gay couples.
By that logic, a guest house owned by Saudis should be able to ban women from driving in their parking lot.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2011, 10:28 AM

While I don't give a toss if two folks of any persuasion want to get married to each other (i.e. be as gay as you like as long as you're not doing it on my lawn), it's not true to say that it won't affect people.

For example, there's been numerous examples of guest houses turning away gay couples and being prosecuted for it. Basically, owners of guest house follow religious rules and thus don't allow unmarried or gay couples. So gay marriage in law most certainly affects those who choose to live by certain religious convictions. The shouty gay couples tend to force their ways onto everyone else and don't care about anyone else's rights.

Of course, the obvious solution to all of this is to make divorce illegal (or at least make the marriage vows an enforceable contract). Then we'll see how many peeps get married.
When I can ban Christians from my business, then it will be just fine to ban gays from yours.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2011, 10:37 AM

I think as long as your patrons are "members" instead of "customers," you can exclude anyone you want. RIght? What does "reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" mean?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I think as long as your patrons are "members" instead of "customers," you can exclude anyone you want. RIght? What does "reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" mean?
Very little, actually.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
When I can ban Christians from my business, then it will be just fine to ban gays from yours.
I have no intention of banning gays from my business. However, I can see how the problem arises when people running guest houses (which tend to be people's homes) run into this kind of thing.

Interesting that you mention "Christians" when I simply said "religious persuasion". Forgetting about those who still kill gays for being gay, are we?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2011, 11:09 AM

I have no intention of banning gays from my business. However, I can see how the problem arises when people running guest houses (which tend to be people's homes) run into this kind of thing.

Interesting that you mention "Christians" when I simply said "religious persuasion". Forgetting about those who still kill gays for being gay, are we?
Not forgetting anything. I merely used 'Christians' and 'you' as examples. Didn't mean to imply anything about you personally.

And I wouldn't ban Chtistians, or anyone else, from my business.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
And I wouldn't ban Chtistians, or anyone else, from my business.
You should probably ban fat chicks if you're running an "all you can eat" diner.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
By that logic, a guest house owned by Saudis should be able to ban women from driving in their parking lot.
They might also be allowed to cut your hands off for stealing towels.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2011, 01:38 PM

You should probably ban fat chicks if you're running an "all you can eat" diner.
Good point!

Although my business is software development, so there are probably a few situtions in which I might simply turn down a client. It certainly wouldn't be because of their religion, but there are probably some circumstances in which it might be related to their religion.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2011, 02:28 PM

If you did that, who would make your rockin' world go round?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2011, 05:43 PM

Apparently fat guys.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2011, 06:03 PM

You can have a fat-bottom girl without her actually being fat everywhere else. Jus' sayin'.
- Thomas Paine

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2011, 08:07 PM

This story is three years old, but it illustrates one of the many issues that are sure to pop up in the near future
Gay Rights, Religious Liberties: A Three-Act Story : NPR
45/47

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
This story is three years old, but it illustrates one of the many issues that are sure to pop up in the near future
Gay Rights, Religious Liberties: A Three-Act Story : NPR
And that's what's been happening here. Not content with being allowed to marry, they (the shouty ones) want to marry where they want to marry, regardless of whether or not it infringes on someone else's rights. And when told they can't, they whine to the authorities.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2011, 09:17 PM

And that's what's been happening here. Not content with being allowed to marry, they (the shouty ones) want to marry where they want to marry, regardless of whether or not it infringes on someone else's rights. And when told they can't, they whine to the authorities.
Another one of your usual unfounded stereotypical generalities, which is just a smokescreen to attempt to focus the issue away from the main question. All issues have "shouty" ones, who claim they want certain things. Those "shouty" ones included people like Susan B. Anthony, Martin Luther King, and so on, and sometimes they're necessary to get the attention of the mainstream, many of whom it appears would still like to live in caves, like they had in "the good old days."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2011, 09:54 PM

Another one of your usual unfounded stereotypical generalities, which is just a smokescreen to attempt to focus the issue away from the main question. All issues have "shouty" ones, who claim they want certain things. Those "shouty" ones included people like Susan B. Anthony, Martin Luther King, and so on, and sometimes they're necessary to get the attention of the mainstream, many of whom it appears would still like to live in caves, like they had in "the good old days."
No, retard - stop putting words into my mouth to suit your closed-minded worldview. It's a fact that here (which is where I was talking about) there's a good number of gays who're very militant and shouty, which does cause problems for other people. There's no stereotypes about it - it's a fact.

We've already got gay marriage here in the civilised world, thus I'm able to make observations about how it tends to fit in with society. So shut your stupid, fat, bigoted mouth.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2011, 10:04 PM

Oh, and Karl... Unfounded?

Christian couple can't run straight-only hotel:
Hotel owners barred gay couple on religious grounds, court told | World news | The Guardian

But gays can run gay-only hotel:
Philbeach Hotel - Earls Court - England - London West - Hotel / Bed and Breakfast / Guest House

See how that works out? No, I suspect you won't.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2011, 10:25 PM

Has there been lawsuits to force pastors into performing the "marriage" ceremony?
45/47

Sextus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2011, 10:28 PM

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2011, 10:46 PM

No, retard - stop putting words into my mouth to suit your closed-minded worldview. It's a fact that here (which is where I was talking about) there's a good number of gays who're very militant and shouty, which does cause problems for other people. There's no stereotypes about it - it's a fact.

We've already got gay marriage here in the civilised world, thus I'm able to make observations about how it tends to fit in with society. So shut your stupid, fat, bigoted mouth.
Can't get the point, call names. Just what I expected from you.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2011, 10:50 PM

Did you read what you posted? It says "could," and it shows nothing that says that's what will happen. IOW, it's classical fear mongering, designed to stir up emotions, which causes people to lose their sense of logic, which in turn brings about the type of response you posted.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2011, 10:52 PM

Did you read what you posted? It says "could," and it shows nothing that says that's what will happen. IOW, it's classical fear mongering, designed to stir up emotions, which causes people to lose their sense of logic, which in turn brings about the type of response you posted.
Alternate title: Clergymen could be sued for marrying gays.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Alternate title: Clergymen could be sued for marrying gays.
From the article:

The amendment stated: “For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this Act places an obligation on religious organisations to host civil partnerships if they do not wish to do so.”

Apparently you don't understand fear mongering either.

I could be sued for a lot of things, but I would win if there were no factual basis for the suits.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2011, 10:58 PM

I was agreeing with you. It'd have been just as easy to write an article that clergymen can be sued for marrying gays.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2011, 11:00 PM

My bad. It's sometimes hard to read intent.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 04:43 AM

My bad. It's sometimes hard to read intent.
That's because you go through life assuming that you know people's intent. Like the bigot you are. I've been nothing but neutral in this thread and simply reported outcome but you've assumed somehow that I'm anti-gay. You're the one who's stereotyping all the time Karl. It's a shame you can't see that.

Now, I understand that it's quite hard to not be a bigot in that shithole of a culture you live in, where everyone is either a Dem or a GOPper and there's no room for any independent thinkers, but some of us aren't in your stupid argumentative culture. So think on next time you open your bigoted fat mouth.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2011, 07:00 AM

2.5 Million British Men Too Fat To See Their Penis

Cleary not enough English men are on the slimming semen diet as I suspected.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
2.5 Million British Men Too Fat To See Their Penis

Cleary not enough English men are on the slimming semen diet as I suspected.
Don't be confusing "British" with "English". Us English blokes are all lovely and slim (without the aid of semen, mostly). It's those fatties up north who tip the balance with their deep fried everything and pints of heavy.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2011, 07:51 AM

Don't be confusing "British" with "English". Us English blokes are all lovely and slim (without the aid of semen, mostly). It's those fatties up north who tip the balance with their deep fried everything and pints of heavy.
So I'm assuming you've never been to Essex?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
So I'm assuming you've never been to Essex?
I'm, of course, joking. Last time I went to the local Tesco I couldn't move for people who were too fat to see their own penis. Which is why I don't bother going any more and send the maid instead.

andi*pandi
Jul 5, 2011, 08:35 AM

I've been nothing but neutral in this thread
For someone who's "neutral," you're throwing around a lot of insults.

Forum Links
Forum Rules