Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > wireless internet 1ghz ti book

wireless internet 1ghz ti book
caseygittings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 06:28 PM

I have a new powerbook which i would like to set up to be able to use away from my desk(earlier post sparked this thought). I have the airport installed already and was wondering what it is that I need to buy in order to accomplish this. I really dont want to spend the $300 for the apple base station. I assume there is another unit out there that will work just as effectively for cheaper. What is it called that I need to purchase, wireless modem or ?. Will this new unit be able to communicate with my airport card. Pleeez help I wan to sit on the toilet and use my powerbook. I basically just need the other half of the airport what are my options?

Casey
1ghz powerbook superdrive
Casey Gittings

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2002, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by caseygittings:
I have a new powerbook which i would like to set up to be able to use away from my desk(earlier post sparked this thought). I have the airport installed already and was wondering what it is that I need to buy in order to accomplish this. I really dont want to spend the $300 for the apple base station. I assume there is another unit out there that will work just as effectively for cheaper. What is it called that I need to purchase, wireless modem or ?. Will this new unit be able to communicate with my airport card. Pleeez help I wan to sit on the toilet and use my powerbook. I basically just need the other half of the airport what are my options?

Casey
1ghz powerbook superdrive
I use the same setup with my Pb 1ghz and other PCs at home. I am using a Netgear ME102 WAP and it connects to existing Ethernet networks or Cable/DSL routers. It sells for $89 at Compusa.com but i remember it going down to $60. Works flawlessly for me, it is even small enough for me to take around and have wireless access when at work or school.

ima_pseudonym
Dec 2, 2002, 07:04 PM

What about if you don't have cable/dsl any of these have built in modems?

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 2, 2002, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by ima_pseudonym:
That's why I have an AirPort Base Station - couldn't find any other wireless base stations/routers that had modems built-in.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2002, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by ima_pseudonym:
You mean like dial up? I for you. I can barely remember what it's like to hear the screech of the white noise, the information state.

The Apple Base Station has a built in modem I believe. Whoops somebody beat me to it - didn't read the whole thread.

x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 09:16 PM

I believe the D-link wireless routers have a serial port where you can hook up an external modem, could be cheaper than the Airport Base Station. The ABS is much simpler to install and use though.

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2002, 09:39 PM

do you have a desktop mac that you can put an airport card in?

if so you can use the desktop as your basestation for your laptop and u dont need a router or airport basestation.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

lextek
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2002, 07:42 PM

How would you use a desktop as a basestaion?

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2002, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
That's why I have an AirPort Base Station - couldn't find any other wireless base stations/routers that had modems built-in.
if I recall correctly, SMC routers have built in modems on certain models, but your might want to check thier website to be sure...
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by lextek:
Turn on Internet Sharing in the Sharing pane of System Preferences. Of course this means the desktop has to be turned on and awake for the other computers to access it.
Vandelay Industries

FlashGordon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by jambajooz:

I use the same setup with my Pb 1ghz and other PCs at home. I am using a Netgear ME102 WAP and it connects to existing Ethernet networks or Cable/DSL routers. It sells for $89 at Compusa.com but i remember it going down to $60. Works flawlessly for me, it is even small enough for me to take around and have wireless access when at work or school.
If you are connecting a wirless router to a school or work connection without the knowledge of your employer or IT department you may be creating a huge security risk for your company allowing any nearby hacker to easily bypass the expensive firewalls and other defenses that are set up to protect that network. Any passer-by will be able to get on the network unless you set up the WAP correctly, and any novice hacker could get around anything you can set up or that is built into your WAP. You should make sure it is okay that you are doing what you are doing, because it may be your ass if you cause big time damage by opening up the network when hooking up a WAP without permission.

thebunny
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2002, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by lextek:
Just because nobody else said they did it I'll report what I did. I run Linux box as router/gateway/DNS/DHCP/web/mail.... server. I plugged in a Dlink PCI 802.11b NIC into it and used the host_ap driver to make it act as a base station (a *lot* more flexible than an external base station and cheaper too). I get four bars anywhere in the house (867 PB) all with the 64 bit WEP and pretty good bandwidth (5.5 Mb all the time). Bear in mind that 802.11b is really 5.5 Mb not 11 Mb (they say it's 5.5 Mb upload + 5.5 Mb download = 11 Mb - really deceptive BS - 10/100/1000 should be called 20/200/2000 according to that..)

masugu
Senior User
Dec 5, 2002, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:

Turn on Internet Sharing in the Sharing pane of System Preferences. Of course this means the desktop has to be turned on and awake for the other computers to access it.
Will the PB find my Linksys wireless DSL router(no Modem) hooked to my PC & G4 desktop?

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2002, 05:25 PM

Dial up? Just go to Starbucks and subscribe to the T-Mobile service. I'll be you'll even get service in the toilet!

http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
Dial up? Just go to Starbucks and subscribe to the T-Mobile service. I'll be you'll even get service in the toilet!

http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/
Probably not. In my experience, the routers are usually placed in really unusual places that hardly cover the store areas. Plus, at $50 / month for only 500mb of transfer, you wouldn't want to spend too much time in the john!

Forum Links
Forum Rules