Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Time & date, bluetooth & battery life not shown on PB 15" SD.

Time & date, bluetooth & battery life not shown on PB 15" SD.
futurist
Dec 2, 2003, 08:55 PM

hi all,

Just got my PB 15" superdrive yesterday. after the 1st installation of panther i do notice the time & date, bluetooth & battery life icon there. Did something wrong went to re-format the harddisce re installed the panather again. this time round the time & date, bluetooth & battery life icon no longer on the menu bar. does anyone knows the problem. If not i think i will try format the whole hard disc again. I tried going into the system pref. click on the icon to show on the menu bar. but still i can't see the icon. hope someone can help. thanks.

btw the PB 15" damn cool. Love the smell too...

cheers

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 10:28 PM

Futurist --

Check your system preferences... For each of these items you can control whether or not there is an icon in the menu bar.

Battery: "Energy Saver" panel
Bluetooth: "Bluetooth" panel
Time and Date: "Date & Time" panel

Let us know if this fixes things.

futurist  (op)
Dec 2, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by dgbatchelor:
Futurist --

Check your system preferences... For each of these items you can control whether or not there is an icon in the menu bar.

Battery: "Energy Saver" panel
Bluetooth: "Bluetooth" panel
Time and Date: "Date & Time" panel

Let us know if this fixes things.

Chick on all the boxes show on menu bar. But on the desktop still didn't show. should i re-format and re-install?

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 11:58 PM

Do any icons show up on the menu bar? (e.g., modem status, airport status, speaker level,...)

futurist  (op)
Dec 3, 2003, 12:07 AM

Do any icons show up on the menu bar? (e.g., modem status, airport status, speaker level,...)
nope.. not a single one shown.

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 12:14 AM

You might want to run "Disk Utility" and fix any disk permissions problems which have cropped up when you hosed your system. If that doesn't solve things, you probably need a clean install (as the quickest fix) -- unless someone else on the forum speaks up with another alternative.

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 12:51 AM

Futurist, you're from Singapore as well? Seems that all the PB sold in the country has this problem (could be due to OS X settings we choose). I was in the same situation as you when I received the 12" two weeks ago.

The problem is that the SystemUIServer is crashing due to some corruption. To verify:

1. Launch Console from Applications/Utilities/Console
2. Select Logs/ "~/Library/Logs"/ CrashReporter/ SystemUIServer.crash.log. You'll see that there are lots of errors printed.

Solution:

1. What I did was trash the whole directory under: <user>/Library/Preferences
2. Shutdown and startup again

You can try the above, or just the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist file first.

Hope this helps.
1GHz PB 12" / 768MB / 60GB / OS X 10.3.9

futurist  (op)
Dec 3, 2003, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by cobra27:
Futurist, you're from Singapore as well? Seems that all the PB sold in the country has this problem (could be due to OS X settings we choose). I was in the same situation as you when I received the 12" two weeks ago.

The problem is that the SystemUIServer is crashing due to some corruption. To verify:

1. Launch Console from Applications/Utilities/Console
2. Select Logs/ "~/Library/Logs"/ CrashReporter/ SystemUIServer.crash.log. You'll see that there are lots of errors printed.

Solution:

1. What I did was trash the whole directory under: <user>/Library/Preferences
2. Shutdown and startup again

Hope this helps.

hey cobra27,

ya i'm from singapore. thanks for the kind help will try tonite. will post here if it works. thanks alot

You can try the above, or just the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist file first.

zoe77
Dec 3, 2003, 02:32 AM

Trashing prefs is NOT the solution.

1. Go to the System Preferences
2. Select 'International'
3. Customize your Dates/Times/Numbers under the FORMAT menu or choose some other country other than Singapore eg Australia

futurist  (op)
Dec 3, 2003, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by zoe77:

3. Customize your Dates/Times/Numbers under the FORMAT menu or choose some other country other than Singapore eg Australia
actually i tried that too. wen i go to my date & time in system pref.
wen i click on "SHOW ON MENU BAR" it show checked but as wen i let go the button. it went back to uncheck... wat's the best solutions? do a clean installation?

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by futurist:
hey cobra27,

ya i'm from singapore. thanks for the kind help will try tonite. will post here if it works. thanks alot

Hope it will work for you, do let us know after you've tried, because I have seen this question asked here and at Apple Support several times.

BTW, do you receive just 1 OS X disc with the PB? I only get 1, but I heard that Panther comes with 3. Not sure how I can get the other disc, because I want the X11!

futurist  (op)
Dec 3, 2003, 03:02 AM

Hope it will work for you, do let us know after you've tried, because I have seen this question asked here and at Apple Support several times.

BTW, do you receive just 1 OS X disc with the PB? I only get 1, but I heard that Panther comes with 3. Not sure how I can get the other disc, because I want the X11!
yup mine come with the one piece dvd installer panther. will post here tonite. btw thinking of getting a wireless router.. anyione can recommand a gd 3rd party router like d-link... or linksys.. etc. thanks

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 03:11 AM

I have a Linksys WAP54G... Compatible with Airport Extreme (and Airport Standard)... Nice.

futurist  (op)
Dec 3, 2003, 04:27 AM

I have a Linksys WAP54G... Compatible with Airport Extreme (and Airport Standard)... Nice.
thanks dude...

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by zoe77:

Saw that solution on apple discussion board too. But didn't work for me. But no harm trying first.

Trashing prefs does not do any damage (esp for a new machine), since it will be recreated again.

Anyway, whatever it takes to make it work, I guess.

futurist  (op)
Dec 3, 2003, 10:26 AM

Saw that solution on apple discussion board too. But didn't work for me. But no harm trying first.

Trashing prefs does not do any damage (esp for a new machine), since it will be recreated again.

Anyway, whatever it takes to make it work, I guess.

Try the solution u posted. can't work.. i got no choice but to reinstall the OS again.. thanks the help guys

futurist  (op)
Dec 3, 2003, 11:44 AM

did a clean installation just now. same prob. the time icon and bluetooth and battery icon not shown on menu bar. anyone can help:

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by futurist:
did a clean installation just now. same prob. the time icon and bluetooth and battery icon not shown on menu bar. anyone can help:
Futurist, very surprise to hear that it doesn't work. It is a very frustrating problem indeed.

BTW, did you check the log? Is the SystemUI crashing?

Anyway, try this:

apple.com forum discussion

and

another apple.com forum discussion

If all else fails, I think you should call apple support, make use of the 90 days free support, right?

futurist  (op)
Dec 3, 2003, 09:24 PM

Futurist, very surprise to hear that it doesn't work. It is a very frustrating problem indeed.

BTW, did you check the log? Is the SystemUI crashing?

Anyway, try this:

apple.com forum discussion

and

another apple.com forum discussion

If all else fails, I think you should call apple support, make use of the 90 days free support, right?

agree. will call them

Forum Links
Forum Rules