Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail works on G4 but not on G5

Mail works on G4 but not on G5
saltines17
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 01:34 PM

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Networking forum, since I suspect it's a software issue. But anyway:

I've been using two distinct Mail accounts on my G4. Both accounts work normally.

I just set up my new G5 yesterday and put both email accounts into Mail. Both accounts receive mail normally, but neither account can send mail. They both "time out" when trying to contact their respective smtp servers.

Now, first I manually copied everything from the G4 to the G5 by looking at the settings and typing them in. It didn't work. To make sure I didn't miss something, I then copied the entire "Mail" folder from ~/Library/ onto the G5. Still, I can receive mail, but I can't send mail.

The G5 is using the exact same Ethernet wire and Cable connection that the G4 used (the G4 is no longer connected to the internet), so I can't imagine the problem being related to Networking hardware.

I'm so confused. Help?

Thanks.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2004, 09:59 PM

Did you setup the accounts in mail, not just copy the folders over. I believe keychain holds the mail account info, i.e., passwords, smtp settings etc.

Mike

saltines17  (op)
Senior User
Aug 21, 2004, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Did you setup the accounts in mail, not just copy the folders over. I believe keychain holds the mail account info, i.e., passwords, smtp settings etc.

Mike
The first time I tried, I did set up the accounts from within Mail. It didn't occur to me to copy the keychains over, but I entered all of this information beforehand, anyway.

I'm away now, but I'll try to copy the keychains when I get home.

Thanks

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2004, 08:30 AM

When moving mail you need to copy over ...

Moving Mail from one Mac to Another
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=215426

Also ..

Can't Send ...
For security purposes, all ISPs require you to use the SMTP server that is provided with your connection
Tiger 10.4.8

saltines17  (op)
Senior User
Aug 22, 2004, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by bergy:
When moving mail you need to copy over ...

Moving Mail from one Mac to Another
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=215426

Also ..

Can't Send ...
For security purposes, all ISPs require you to use the SMTP server that is provided with your connection
I don't know what that means, but what I do know is that my other computer, using the exact same Ethernet wire and cable connection as the G5 is using now, sends mail perfectly fine. Why would it work on one computer and not another?

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2004, 08:29 AM

I'm just guessing now .. did you check your Preferences/accounts/outgoing mail server/server settings .... make sure they're the same as before .. mine has authentication .. none

Other than that I wonder if a repair permission would help ... Hope you work it out .. keep up posted
Tiger 10.4.8

saltines17  (op)
Senior User
Aug 22, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by bergy:
I'm just guessing now .. did you check your Preferences/accounts/outgoing mail server/server settings .... make sure they're the same as before .. mine has authentication .. none

Other than that I wonder if a repair permission would help ... Hope you work it out .. keep up posted
Yeah, I checked those. One of my accounts uses authentication: password, and one of mine uses authentication: password with SSL.

Again, when I get home I'll try to play with it more. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Thanks

saltines17  (op)
Senior User
Aug 27, 2004, 04:06 AM

I'm back, and the problem hasn't magically vanished. I really am just baffled. What do I do?

Forum Links
Forum Rules