Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > inverted colors on login screen

inverted colors on login screen
kakashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2004, 08:16 PM

Hey guys,

I'm not sure whats happening but it appears that the universal access setting for the 'inverted screen' is turned on at the login window. But the bizarre thing is that this is hte only place it's turned on. There are 3 accounts total(including root) and all have this universal setting turned off. Another strange thing is the keyboard combination shortcut to turn it on and off doesn't seem to work(command-option-shift-8) although the zoom one does(command-option-8) and the shift key is definitely working. I don't really care about the shortcut..i just want the login screen to look normal. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
kash
tempus fugit

kakashi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2004, 08:39 PM

Okay so I figured out why the key combination wasn't working. I was dumb--it's command-option-control-8...not shift. Anyway, it doesn't look like this works at the login screen. Only when logged in...any ideas?
tempus fugit

Wevah
Senior User
Jun 8, 2004, 02:06 PM

It seems that your root user might have the inverted display thing on, while your regular user doesn't. Try this in the Terminal:

sudo defaults read com.apple.CoreGraphics DisplayUseInvertedPolarity

If that exists and returns 1, that's what the problem is. The fix should be to just do:

sudo defaults delete com.apple.CoreGraphics DisplayUseInvertedPolarity

Edit: you might also have to do:

sudo defaults delete com.apple.CoreGraphics DisplayUseForcedGray

if it's also in grayscale.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

kakashi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Wevah:
It seems that your root user might have the inverted display thing on, while your regular user doesn't. Try this in the Terminal:

sudo defaults read com.apple.CoreGraphics DisplayUseInvertedPolarity

If that exists and returns 1, that's what the problem is. The fix should be to just do:

sudo defaults delete com.apple.CoreGraphics DisplayUseInvertedPolarity

Edit: you might also have to do:

sudo defaults delete com.apple.CoreGraphics DisplayUseForcedGray

if it's also in grayscale.
Yeah, it didn't help. : / I found another odd thing, it seems as though even if i boot off the install cd it STILL has the colors inverted...where could this stuff be stored so that it keeps this setting even when using the install cd? I tried zapping the pram...no luck...

After doing that now my root login is also using the inverted screen. hehe. Any idea what file it reads for the default settings?..I assume when I login it recreates the file that was deleted and it gets it from somewhere...that must be the file that has the bad setting..(Although still doesn't explain why it stays inverted even when booting from a cd)
tempus fugit

kakashi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 07:29 PM

Also, it looks like the com.apple.CoreGraphics.plist file has no effect on the individual user accounts. I try changing the values and upon restart nothing is changed. The key combination still works though.
tempus fugit

kakashi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by kakashi:
Also, it looks like the com.apple.CoreGraphics.plist file has no effect on the individual user accounts. I try changing the values and upon restart nothing is changed. The key combination still works though.
I fixed it. It was some combination of pulling the power plug, taking out the clock batter and removing the video card and then letting it sit for 45 minutes. Not sure where the settings for that was stored..but it was cleared.

Sorry for all the rants.
tempus fugit

Wevah
Senior User
Jun 9, 2004, 02:37 AM

That's really weird!

I'm glad you were able to fix it.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

saltines17
Senior User
Jan 1, 2005, 04:34 PM

Well, now - totally randomly - this started happening to me. I turn on the computer, and even the initial loading screen with the apple is inverted... everything is inverted by default. This is... weird and just a little disconcerting... Any ideas?

Maelman
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2005, 06:39 AM

Try resetting the PRAM. Start up while holding Cmd + Option + P + R. Unplugging the clock battery would have done this as well.
( Last edited by Maelman; Jan 2, 2005 at 11:59 PM. )

saltines17
Senior User
Jan 2, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by Maelman:
Try resetting the PRAM. Start up while holding ? + Option + P + R. Unplugging the clock battery would have done this as well.
I tried that - didn't help

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 03:06 AM

So, did we ever figure out why that's even there?

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

mr_ryeman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 09:05 AM

This has just started happening to me, too. The computer freezes while sleeping so I'm forced to reboot. This is wierd enough, the fans are running but the power lights are not pulsing, and none of the peripherals are powered. Anyway, I reboot, and everything is inversed. Easy to fix in the user accounts using the Universal Access Preference Panel, but I have no idea how to fix the login screen.
®
Read The Good Little Robot daily!

chasemerick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 03:58 AM

I am currently experiencing this problem. The accounts themselves all are set properly but for some reason when I am at a login screen, the colors are inverted. Is there a seperate preference file for display that is account independant?!?

chasemerick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 09:27 AM

Anyone know? I'm about to just reload the bugger but I'd love to find a fix instead.

Thanks!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 10:58 PM

Anxious to see how this one pans out. Might be filed under "weirdest bug ever".

Glad it hasn't happened to me.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules