Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hell froze over AGAIN: Mac mini - headless Mac

Hell froze over AGAIN: Mac mini - headless Mac (Page 3)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2005, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
I'm starting to reminisce about those little SPARCstations. The iMac mini sorta reminds me of one.

Anyone see a big educational market for these things?
There isnt a more suitable computer for dorm-room sized environments and priced so sweetly for college students to buy and fool around with. It's got all the functionality from a full blown computer, with the major selling points being, OSX and iLife....at such a low price.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 11, 2005, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by adamschneider:
I'm aware of that. But since they're suddenly going to be selling more mice as separate peripherals,... Store.apple.com should provide third-party mice as BTO options -- but they don't.
Apple HAS sold third-party keyboards and mice for years, and still does. They have like 10 different mice, and a few keyboards. Maybe you should actually check before you complain.

Re: Mac Mini RAM type. Somebody said it uses SODIMM. It doesn't. From the picture, it's plainly evident that it's a standard DIMM.

tooki

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2005, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Apple HAS sold third-party keyboards and mice for years, and still does. They have like 10 different mice, and a few keyboards. Maybe you should actually check before you complain.

Re: Mac Mini RAM type. Somebody said it uses SODIMM. It doesn't. From the picture, it's plainly evident that it's a standard DIMM.

tooki
You are right, and I stand corrected. It does use PC2700 168-pin DDR SDRAM.

Makes one wonder though, >$400 for a 1GB DIMM? Damn.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:

Definitely "damn". I paid $189 for the same thing over 8 months ago. and that's $425 just for the upgrade from 256 .. meaning Apple is actually valuing it at something like ~$500. Sheesh.

Having been disappointed by its limitations for the last hour or two, I am once again enamored after having downloaded the keynote and actually seeing him handle that thing. Its so tiny, with the appropriate case a student could toss one in his backpack and take it anywhere. You could theoretically stack an entire freakin' computer lab in an area about as big a standard podium ... absolutely amazing. I

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 11:34 PM

Just ordered one!

Woo Hoo!

Bumped up the memory to 512 & with a Superdrive. Too bad it's not for me.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
Just ordered one!

Woo Hoo!

Bumped up the memory to 512 & with a Superdrive. Too bad it's not for me.
Excellent .. do you have a 1/22 ship date ? Is the person you're getting if for in your household ? (<--- roundabout way of asking if you will be there for the opening and can post pics )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2005, 12:06 AM

I'm only disappointed that the video card isn't supported by Core Image. 9200 isn't a programmable GPU.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Excellent .. do you have a 1/22 ship date ? Is the person you're getting if for in your household ? (<--- roundabout way of asking if you will be there for the opening and can post pics )
Email says 1/22 ship date... for now.

I'll be opening it up and setting it up for my in-laws. (I had given them my old G4 350 tower, but when I tried updating it over Christmas, it had problems updating to 10.3.7, and now doesn't recognize their password. I felt bad for trashing their Mac - I know it wasn't my fault, but still felt bad - so I ordered them the mini Mac.

I'll post pics when it gets here.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 12:40 AM

maybe this thing will recreate the success of the original iMac.
we'll see.

Not my kind of computer (I prefer big, fat, expandable towers)

But would be great for a lot of the non-geeks I know.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2005, 12:58 AM

This product could prove to be one of the most brilliant things Apple has ever done.

At work today, less than an hour after these were announced, I had 4 Linux geeks and 1 Windows guy in my office. They had heard about the incredible price (from me of course) and had their interest piqued. After a few minutes of drooling as we went through the website, each and every one of those guys left with the desire+intention to buy one. This is the switcher box. I can't wait to see how this changes things.

Nice job Apple. Really nice.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 01:25 AM

So...with a DVI to ADC connector, does the Radeon 9200 in the Mac mini have enough gumption to run a 23" cinema display? Not for games (well, other than Barbie as Princess and the Pauper), but for browsing and email?

If I didn't already have a CRT G3 iMac in the kitchen for Mail, Safari and iTunes, I'd order one of these right now. As it is, I'm very tempted. Mac mini + spare 23" display would be sweet in the kitchen. Hey! Then I could buy an Eye TV... oh, the insanity!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

saltines17
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 01:43 AM

On the HD link in the store, it says "All Mac mini models include standard Ultra ATA hard drives."

Is there anywhere that specifically says 2.5" HDs? How do we know for sure which it is?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by saltines17:
On the HD link in the store, it says "All Mac mini models include standard Ultra ATA hard drives."

Is there anywhere that specifically says 2.5" HDs? How do we know for sure which it is?
I agree, this is confusing to me as well. It appears that it is a 2.5" for a couple of "circumstantial" reasons:
80gb max capacity.
A typical 3.5" weighs about a pound. The entire mini weighs 2.9 lbs.

If this mini does, in fact, use a standard 3.5", the chances of me buying one, biting the bullet and paying an Apple authorized tech to install a 200gb Seagate + the 1gb ram stick I own will rise exponentially.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 02:09 AM

So how long will the Mac mini stay in production? Or maybe a more precise question would...how many revisions will there be before there be a mac Mini G5.

I think 2 years max, before the sales really start to stagnate. What I am referring to here is before this line well essentially require a G5. Hopefully Apple can keep this 'Mac mini' thing fresh and updated and avoid neglecting the thing like the current eMac.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2005, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
This is all true, if you replace your existing keyboard, mouse, and screen. This model seems targeted at switchers, though, and they already have keyboards, mice, and screens.

iPods were Switcher-bait. Now, behold the trap.
BINGO!!

I already order 2 iPod shuffles. I will be ordering my Mini later this week.

Thank you, Apple. I've bitched for years and they finally did it. I'm just stunned.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

saltines17
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 03:26 AM

I take it the mini doesn't have the same giant power supply apparatus as the Cube did (or some equivalent)? It's really all in that tiny little package?

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 03:28 AM

I take it the mini doesn't have the same giant power supply apparatus as the Cube did (or some equivalent)? It's really all in that tiny little package?
From the pictures, it looks like the mini has an external brick power supply.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 03:32 AM

My next question involves heating. Will this G4 powered Mac mini have the same loud @$$ fans as the PowerBooks?

If so, then that sux....
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 03:34 AM

Has a brick, but nothing like the Cube's

saltines17
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 03:37 AM

Ah, ok.

adamschneider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Maybe you should read what I wrote before you reflexively apologize on Apple's behalf yet again. I said they should include 3rd-party mice "as a BTO option" -- on the page where you select the amount of RAM, whether or not you get Airport, etc. It's not there; just wired or wireless.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 08:24 AM

One thing occurred to me - pretty minor, but it is a factor that will effect a lot of the potential market. The Mini only has 2 USB ports, and most PC keyboards don't have extra USB ports, so plug in your PC mouse and keyboard and you've used up all your USB connectivity. Nowhere for your printer or scanner.

Yeah, I know about USB hubs - these are going to be nearly essential accessories for any potential switcher. Either that or an Apple keyboard. Speaking of which, what does the command key map to on a windows keyboard ? The windows key ?

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Speaking of which, what does the command key map to on a windows keyboard ? The windows key ?
Yeah, I think so. Or it might map to Alt, and the windows key == Option. Can't remember.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 10:57 AM

Isn't the real "Hell Freezing Over" story that...

1) the iPod shuffle actually being sold the SAME DAY of the announcement.
2) the Mini Mac being delivered in less than 2 weeks (remains to be seen)

Hopefully this is a good sign from Apple that the long delays between anoouncement and actual delivery are over.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2005, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Speaking of which, what does the command key map to on a windows keyboard ? The windows key ?
Exactly. Also, Option maps to Alt.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2005, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Thank you, Apple. I've bitched for years and they finally did it. I'm just stunned.
IIRC, you bitched about the iMac's GPU.
So, why would you settle for this now ?

-t

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2005, 12:25 PM

I think this will bring more switchers to Mac. The right price at the right time.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2005, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

-t
Big difference in a $500 computer and a $1300 computer.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2005, 01:00 PM

True, but that argument didn't count when comparing the iMac to the PowerMac.

"Big difference in a $ 1300 computer and a $ 2100 computer (PMac, upgarded GPU $100 + say $500 monitor)."

-t

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 01:55 PM

A high quality LCD being one main difference... dont forget to factor that in. Its not a 1300$ computer + display for an extra 500.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 02:23 PM

Great little machine - just what we need to get the switchers in.
And just what I need to dot around the house doing various server tasks.

Only one problem. The now usual problem. It's bleedin' silver. Give us some choice Apple! I'm gonna have to defile it with Hammerite/Airfix paint.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 02:35 PM

True, but that argument didn't count when comparing the iMac to the PowerMac.

"Big difference in a $ 1300 computer and a $ 2100 computer (PMac, upgarded GPU $100 + say $500 monitor)."

-t
For $1300 I can build a PC that would wipe the floor with iMac G5's face in FPS performance.

For $500 I can build a basic PC, that..... boots ..... and .... does email ..... and, uh....

edit: that assumes I have a windows license already.
If not, well, I couldn't do it for $500, I'd have to buy an eMachines, and watch it die after 6 months of use......

(Note the specs are similiar, even better on the eMachines over the mac mini in some cases. One spec on the plasti-tower, the intel integrated 3D de-celerator, sucks gonads, and not to mention the software package (iLife '05, Mac OS X vs. windows XP Cripple (HOME)) that comes with the mac mini blows the eMachines away).

at $500 the mac mini is smokin'
( Last edited by jcadam; Jan 12, 2005 at 02:46 PM. )
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 02:53 PM

That is insane...

You can get a 1GB PC2700 chip for like $150.
You can get two GIGS + for the amount Apple wants.
I have left them feedback regarding this, I think this machine would be a nice config for switchers with an affordable path to 1GB of ram.

The $75 512MB upgrade is worth it, but the 1GB is a total rip IMO.
I suggest whoever cares to leave apple feedback on this.
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
- A Lincoln

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by jcadam:
For $1300 I can build a PC that would wipe the floor with iMac G5's face in FPS performance.
With a 17" Wide-screen LCD, and with a windows license?
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
- A Lincoln

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2005, 03:01 PM

-t
AIO computers are disposable. I don't fancy a disposable computer where the most expensive compenent is the display. When I finally break down and buy a beautiful LCD display, I don't plan on chucking it when the CPU or GPU its connected to start showing their age. Hell, I've had the same 19" Sony CRT forever and its terrific (albeit a bit bulky).

Mini Mac is Apple's first disposable computer (since the original iMac) that actually makes sense.

Is it perfect? No. An AGP slot and an extra DIMM slot would make it perfect, but at $499 I'm not going to complain.

The Mini is a slam dunk, homerun, no-brainer, flat-out winner for Apple.

I've been a Mac advocate for a helluva long time. In all my conversations with PC-heads the number one comment has been "Yeah, OS X sounds great. I'd love to get my hands on it and mess around, but I don't really want to buy an expensive machine just to do that."

Well, last night I spoke with 3 of those people and they are all ordering a Mini.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 05:34 PM

One could mount the Mac mini under a desk to hide the computer completely from view.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 09:35 PM

Email says 1/22 ship date... for now.

I'll be opening it up and setting it up for my in-laws. (I had given them my old G4 350 tower, but when I tried updating it over Christmas, it had problems updating to 10.3.7, and now doesn't recognize their password. I felt bad for trashing their Mac - I know it wasn't my fault, but still felt bad - so I ordered them the mini Mac.

I'll post pics when it gets here.
You can reset passwords with the install cd. Just boot from it and then from a menu choose reset password, you don't even need to reinstall.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
You can reset passwords with the install cd. Just boot from it and then from a menu choose reset password, you don't even need to reinstall.
Tried that, but it didn't work. Thanks, though.

velodev
Senior User
Jan 13, 2005, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by gatekeeper:
Yeah, because an audio chipset with SPDIF capability costs $50 more

Even $40 x86 motherboards include SPDIF capability.

Apple gets praise for ditching the floppy early. When are they going to ditch the modem?
You have a point, but the modem... you're moving too fast now.

hayesk
Jan 13, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
One could mount the Mac mini under a desk to hide the computer completely from view.
Good point. Pain in the butt to insert a CD though.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Just got an email.

"Order Status as of 07:57 PM PST, 01/18/2005 Shipped"

I can't believe a build to order mini Mac is being shipped early.

Hopefully pics up in the next few days.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 06:16 AM

Just got an email.

"Order Status as of 07:57 PM PST, 01/18/2005 Shipped"

I can't believe a build to order mini Mac is being shipped early.

Hopefully pics up in the next few days.
WOW !!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules