Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Don't be STUPID with words! PLEASE!

Don't be STUPID with words! PLEASE! (Page 2)
3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2005, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
Anyone care to clear up any further stupidity?
Yeah, as my wife says, "That really P.O.s me off!"

OreoCookie
Apr 14, 2005, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by paul w
Courrier �lectronique. It's not that email woulbe "banned" it's that the Academie Fran�aise comes up with new French versions of new foreeign words, rather than just accept and assimilate them like English.

A couple examples (see if you can guess the English/International equivalent):

Ordinateur
Baladeur
Courriel (there's even a Pourriel)
Logiciel
C�d�rom
Pare-feu
T�l�chargement

etc...
t�l�charger = to download

Although there is a Frenchified word for e-mail, my French friends usually use e-mail most of the time anyway.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

esXXI
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 06:07 AM

The one that gets me: "I could care less."

It's couldn't! Couldn't y'hear! If you could care less, you care some! Rawr!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Pare-feu = I don't know
Firewall

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
"Baladeur" is a walkman.

And "m�l" is parallel to German, where the English loan-word verb "mailen" means "to email". (I have to point out to German speakers now and then that in English, "mail me that file" doesn't mean to send it electronically, hehe!)
Yep, in Dutch we say "mailen" as well. "Mail me dat bestand door" = "Mail me that file".

Languages are cool.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

vexborg
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Yeah, I know, that was bad
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ois�n
My own little pet peeve (in Danish):

When people say "Det vil jeg ikke have noget med at g�re". Wrong. Word. Order. "Det vil jeg ikke have noget at g�re med" is the only acceptable form! And when people say things such as, "jeg farede vild" (jeg for vild!), or "jeg bedte ham om..." (jeg bad ham om...).

(This is of course for the sole benefit of Anders, vexborg, Erik, and the few others here who understand enough Danish to tell the difference)
Gratuitous translation by non-Danish speaking me: I want to have nothing to do with it.
( Last edited by theolein; Apr 14, 2005 at 07:03 AM. )
weird wabbit

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by paul w
Courrier �lectronique. It's not that email woulbe "banned" it's that the Academie Fran�aise comes up with new French versions of new foreeign words, rather than just accept and assimilate them like English.

A couple examples (see if you can guess the English/International equivalent):

Ordinateur
Baladeur
Courriel (there's even a Pourriel)
Logiciel
C�d�rom
Pare-feu
T�l�chargement

etc...
Since the others have been done. Baladeur = Player, as in CD-Player etc. Pare-feu was new to me, though.

Fortunately the French dislike long and complicated words as much as anyone else does and therefore have shorter slang versions of most of those, such as Ordo for Ordinateur, dd for Disque-Dur, soft for logiciel.
weird wabbit

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 07:15 AM

In Singapore, they've had a government-sponsored campaign urging people not to use Singlish (a mixture of English, Cantonese, Malay, Hokkien and Mandarin) as much. Except the name of the campaign was .. the Speak Good English movement. I called the campaign hotline and asked why the name wasn't the Speak English Well movement instead but couldn't get an answer from them.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by esXXI

I absolutely hate that one too.

Here's a good example of redundancy from Japan. In Shizuoka prefecture there is a waterfall called 白糸の滝 (Shiraitonotaki, "White Thread Falls"). The road signs pointing in its direction had the English translation "Shiraitonotaki Falls." "Taki" means "waterfall," so that's "White Thread Falls Falls."

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by esXXI

Yup- that one kills me to. Almost as bad as "She is fixiated with guys." Fixiated. Oh shut up!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
In Singapore, they've had a government-sponsored campaign urging people not to use Singlish (a mixture of English, Cantonese, Malay, Hokkien and Mandarin) as much. Except the name of the campaign was .. the Speak Good English movement. I called the campaign hotline and asked why the name wasn't the Speak English Well movement instead but couldn't get an answer from them.
Or at least the Speak Proper English Campaign...

Theo: Very close. "I want nothing to do with that" (there's no real way of expressing the emphasizing topicalization of the object in English)

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 11:35 AM

PIN number is worse then RSVP please. Neither bother me too much.

What I hate is how often "definitely" is spelled "definately."

Think "finite," people!
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 11:59 AM

One thing that makes me laugh is when a language steals a word from another language and steals the word's silent letters with it. A great example is Lincoln. In Hebrew it is transliterated so that there is a letter that corresponds to the second 'L', the problem is that people in Israel pronounce the letter now knowing that it is silent in English. It happens to be a street name in Jerusalem so it came up frequently when I was there.

Also, most of my friends that say good instead of well really don't know that they are wrong.

Another favorite that my dad pointed out to me is the phrase "a high rate of speed" as in the nightly news saying that the car was travelling at a high rate of speed. Speed is a rate! So although you can say rate of speed its generally not what the sayer intends it to mean. Even when it is, its an accident.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 12:01 PM

George Carlin has a great bit about stuff like this. See if I can find in in text anywhere.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 12:05 PM

Found 'em, courtesy of Mr George Carlin:

Added bonus
Exactly right
Closed fist
Future potential
Inner core
Money-back guarantee
Seeing the sights
True fact
Revert back
Safe haven
Prior history
Young children
Time period
Sum total
End result
Temper tantrum
Ferry boat
Free gift
Bare naked
Combined total
Unique individual
Potential hazard
Joint cooperation
Bond together
Close proximity
ATM machine
PIN number
Co-equal
Common bond
Small minority
Serious crisis
Personal belongings
Security guard
Time clock
Foreign imports
Exact same
Continue on
Focus in
Convicted felon
Past experience
Consensus of opinion
Finished product
School teacher
Linger on

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2005, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Found 'em, courtesy of Mr George Carlin:

Money-back guarantee, Seeing the sights, Revert back, Young children, Sum total, End result, Unique individual, Small minority, Security guard, Exact same, Convicted felon, Finished product, School teacher
How are the ones I quoted there wrong?

Money-back guarantee - A guarantee that (if a certain situation arises) your money will be returned to you. Neither word is redundant.
Seeing the sights - I know see and sight mean the same thing, basically, but that doesn't mean you can't do other things to the sights than seeing them. Neither word is redundant.
Revert back - I'll give him that revert has the meaning of 'back' incorporated in it, but if you've already reverted once and you revert again (to what you changed to before you reverted the first time), you are literally 'reverting back (again)'.
Young children - why is this even on the list? 'Children' is a wide term, it makes perfect sense to further categorise them into sub-groups, such as young children and older children.
Sum total - is the total of several different sums added together, no? It thus differs from both sum and total by themselves, doesn't it?
End result - the final result. There can be other results along the process of reaching the end result.
Unique individual - these two words do not mean the same thing. An individual is not necessarily unique (in every sense).
Small minority - same as with young children. There are small minorities, and there are also big minorities.
Security guards - not all guards are their to provide security for someone.
Exact same - exactly the opposite of 'exact opposite'. Why is this on the list?
Convicted felon - as opposed to someone who has committed a felony but has not been convicted. Is such a person not a felon?
Finished product - what? Is he trying to claim that an unfinished product isn't a product at all?
School teacher - yes, a school teacher? What's wrong with that? Does a teacher automatically teach at a school? What about private teachers, or teachers at various forms of centres (that are not technically schools)?

Mr. Carlin has some valid points in that list, but also quite a few invalid ones.

saltines17
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Anders
...When you don�t master the language used good enough to know what you write means you look like a funny pompous ass.
well*

To your credit, I didn't know that about RSVP. I will certainly commence resentment towards the phrase "Please RSVP."

My big issue is when people use "they" or "their" when referring to singular nouns, and then my even bigger issue is when people get pissed off at me for using "his" instead of "his or her," explicitly. DIE.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by saltines17
well*

To your credit, I didn't know that about RSVP. I will certainly commence resentment towards the phrase "Please RSVP."

My big issue is when people use "they" or "their" when referring to singular nouns, and then my even bigger issue is when people get pissed off at me for using "his" instead of "his or her," explicitly. DIE.
Just use 'it'. People love it when you refer to their kids as 'it'.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2005, 03:35 PM

Well, I think you're in for a long fight, then:

Originally Posted by dictionary.com
The use of the third-person plural pronoun they to refer to a singular noun or pronoun is attested as early as 1300, and many admired writers have used they, them, themselves, and their to refer to singular nouns such as one, a person, an individual, and each. W.M. Thackeray, for example, wrote in Vanity Fair in 1848, “A person can't help their birth,” and more recent writers such as George Bernard Shaw and Anne Morrow Lindbergh have also used this construction, in sentences such as “To do a person in means to kill them,” and “When you love someone you do not love them all the time.” The practice is widespread and can be found in such mainstream publications as the Christian Science Monitor, Discover, and the Washington Post. The usage is so common in speech that it generally passes unnoticed. �However, despite the convenience of third-person plural forms as substitutes for generic he and for structurally awkward coordinate forms like his/her, many people avoid using they to refer to a singular antecedent out of respect for the traditional grammatical rule concerning pronoun agreement. Most of the Usage Panelists reject the use of they with singular antecedents. Eighty-two percent find the sentence The typical student in the program takes about six years to complete their course work unacceptable. Thus, the writer who chooses to use they in similar contexts in writing should do so only if assured that the usage will be read as a conscious choice rather than an error. �Interestingly, Panel members do seem to distinguish between singular nouns, such as the typical student, and pronouns that are grammatically singular but semantically plural, such as anyone and everyone. Sixty-four percent of panel members accept the sentence No one is willing to work for those wages anymore, are they? in informal speech. See Usage Note at any. See Usage Note at anyone. See Usage Note at he1. See Usage Note at she.

Word History: Incredible as it may seem, the English pronoun they is not really an English pronoun. They comes from Old Norse and is a classic example of the profound impact of that language on English: because pronouns are among the most basic elements of a language, it is rare for them to be replaced by borrowings from foreign sources. The Old Norse pronouns their, theira, theim worked their way south from the Danelaw, the region governed by the Old Norse-speaking invaders of England, and first appeared in English about 1200, gradually replacing the Old English words he, him, hora. The nominative or subject case (modern English they) seems to have spread first. William Caxton, who brought the printing press to England, uses they, hir, hem in his earlier printed works (after 1475) and thei, their, theim in his later ones. This is clear evidence of the spread of these Norse forms southward, since Caxton did not speak northern English natively (he was born in Westminster). The native English objective case of the third plural, him or hem, may well survive, at least colloquially, in modern English ’em, as in “Give ’em back!”
You could have borrowed a little more from us, such as the very handy, genderless, third person singular reflexive accusative/dative and genitive pronouns "sig" and "sin/sit" respectively (same as "sich" and "sein" in German, and also, etymologically, the same as the Romance third person singular reflexive and genitive pronouns). It makes life so much easier.

Though, perversely, one of my greatest pet peeves about Danes is when they use ham/hende and hans/hendes (him/her an his/her(s)) etc. instead of sig/sin/sit etc. The thing about sig/sin/sit is that it's reflexive in meaning, while the others are not (unlike in German, for instance).

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 14, 2005, 03:39 PM

You mean, "Don't be ignorant" with words don't you?

saltines17
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ois�n
Well, I think you're in for a long fight, then:
Oh, I know. I don't care. It just doesn't make sense to call "a person" "their." Sorry. Just no. Ever. No. No. NO. No. I will insist on it until I die, and even then maybe when someone is writing something and dares begin to scribble "th..." when referring to "someone," my deceased floating head will pop up and scream.

And I agree that we should use "it." I don't see why not. But for now, "his" will do.

Edit: "Most of the Usage Panelists reject the use of they with singular antecedents. Eighty-two percent find the sentence 'The typical student in the program takes about six years to complete their course work' unacceptable."

Yay!

Deimos
Apr 14, 2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
I know we discussed having pet peeves in the English language but this is a mix of language and it just bugs the **** out of me. If I can make ONE person not do this anymore, I will be satisfied. If I am wrong save me from my pain! Here it is:

so Why? Why? Why? do people put "Please RSVP" on their invitation.

STOP IT! I work in printing and I see this more than I care too. STOP IT!

Anyone care to clear up any further stupidity?
La shukran, akhii.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2005, 05:19 PM

And I agree that we should use "it." I don't see why not. But for now, "his" will do.
Here we disagree completely - I cannot stand it when people use 'it' for persons (and, to a smaller extent, animals and all other things that are associated with genders). It's confusing the logical, if not the grammatical, genders just as much as using 'her' when referring to a man. "When you love a man, you do not love her all the time" anyone?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 05:28 PM

Oh, I know. I don't care. It just doesn't make sense to call "a person" "their." Sorry. Just no. Ever. No. No. NO. No. I will insist on it until I die, and even then maybe when someone is writing something and dares begin to scribble "th..." when referring to "someone," my deceased floating head will pop up and scream.
How can it not make sense if people have been using it for over 700 years? It's as correct as anything else.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
How can it not make sense if people have been using it for over 700 years? It's as correct as anything else.
Just because something's been used for 700 years, or just because it's correct according to the Powers That Be (making the rules on correct usage of language) doesn't mean it makes sense.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2005, 06:01 PM

Married with children?
polygamous and paedophilic?

or