Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Think Secret: Mac Mini to turn into media center for MWSF

Think Secret: Mac Mini to turn into media center for MWSF
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2005, 01:46 AM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2005, 03:43 AM

Discuss? No kidding. I expect to see a TV tuner option, and many potential buyers bemoaning the lack of HDTV.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2005, 07:04 AM

I hope they're right about the 3.5" hd.

Zim
Senior User
Nov 29, 2005, 10:52 AM

Very much hope its a 3.5" drive, and I'll be in line the 1st day to buy one of these.

Mike

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2005, 01:26 PM

OMF, if it's true I'm going to order that 37" HD LCD and one of these to go along with it the very minute the Apple store comes back up. I so hope it's true, but have my doubts.

Lesterm10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 02:51 PM

Well, there's already an equipment out there for the Mac that acts as a DVR called the EyeTV, but I guess with the an Apple Flare the remote will be like the one for Front Row and with an "Apple" style interface. But there's already at DVR out there and Iphoto works just fine.
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

quiklee
Senior User
Nov 29, 2005, 03:32 PM

dont' think the ipod dock is necessary, but the other stuff sound great . . . i'll be first in line!

dammit . . I'm applefying out
11.4.05 - iMac 2.1
11.26.05 - ipod 60GB

now, the mac mini

and then the

PB . . .

help support my addiction!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

quiklee
Senior User
Nov 29, 2005, 04:41 PM

imac + http://www.netgear.com/products/details/XE104.php + Big Screen LCD = *Drool*

they better have a damn good sound card in that thing
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 06:02 PM

I don't see how they will squeeze all these added features into the current form factor. I also wonder how cool it will run, even with Yonah/P-M? Lastly I wonder if there will be a price increase. I have been waiting for this since I traded up my mini for an iMac G5. I want a mini again, but I am wondering just what I will get (based on the article).
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2005, 06:22 PM

Maybe they will start using flash storage. Didn't they just pre-pay for some x Billion in flash? (I don't meand the flash for video storage)

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 06:45 PM

I don't see how they will squeeze all these added features into the current form factor. I also wonder how cool it will run, even with Yonah/P-M? Lastly I wonder if there will be a price increase. I have been waiting for this since I traded up my mini for an iMac G5. I want a mini again, but I am wondering just what I will get (based on the article).
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

lextek
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 08:16 PM

I would love to see a Tivo like DVR in the Mini. The Mini could then be hooked up to the home theater and used as a jukebox and video source.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2005, 08:43 PM

Given probable attractive pricing from Intel, Apple shouldn't have too many difficulties producing a mini capable enough to playback High Definition video in at least MPEG-2, but better still H.264. Without HD support, it's next to useless. What happened to the year of HD?

I'd be happy to be wrong about it, but I don't see Apple putting in a TV tuner at that level, so I'd be less surprised to see them offer an extra module for the mini with the tuner, encoder/decoder, remote receiver and possibly extra storage. This is all speculation though.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by power142
Given probable attractive pricing from Intel, Apple shouldn't have too many difficulties producing a mini capable enough to playback High Definition video in at least MPEG-2, but better still H.264. Without HD support, it's next to useless. What happened to the year of HD?
What happened to HD? It's thriving this year! Just look at the HD iMacs, HD iSight, HD PowerBooks, HD iPods, and HD TV show downloads...

Getting back on topic, the current Dothan PMs can play 720 H.264, but I think 1080 is just out of reach (although maybe the new 2.26Ghz chips can pull it off). Assuming the decoder is multithreaded, the dualcore Jonah/Yonahs should have no problem with 1080 HD.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2005, 01:51 AM

If this is true, sign me up.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2005, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Getting back on topic, the current Dothan PMs can play 720 H.264, but I think 1080 is just out of reach (although maybe the new 2.26Ghz chips can pull it off). Assuming the decoder is multithreaded, the dualcore Jonah/Yonahs should have no problem with 1080 HD.
I'm sure Dothan and friends won't have any trouble with 720 and probably little with 1080 (especially the dual core chips), but I won't get my hopes up about seeing one of those chips in Apple's most inexpensive computer.... maybe that'll be the reserve of the "ultra" mini near the $900 price point (coincidentally, not so far removed from the price of a decent media PC!)

I certainly blinked and missed the year of HD

BrianZeit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 04:30 AM

nowt hard to see that this is where apple wanted to head-too bad they are like 5 years late on it..
but knowing apple and their innovations im pretty sure theyll fast forward to 2006

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
What happened to HD? It's thriving this year! Just look at the HD iMacs, HD iSight, HD PowerBooks, HD iPods, and HD TV show downloads...

You mean the VHS iPod and VHS TV downloads
The resolution on those is nowhere near HD. And the iSight is still 640x480 .

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

JMII
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2005, 03:10 PM

I'd LOVE to get Home Theater Mac mini... however it needs several features in order for me to buy it:

1) Optical Audio out (like the PowerMac G5s) for Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound
2) Ability to copy/transfer shows from my current DirecTV TiVO unit. A scheduled backup or "archive" option would be ideal.
3) Encode DVDs onto the hard drive for later playback.
4) HDTV support including component video output (RGB).

A built-in iPod dock would be great, but I wouldn't list this as a must have.

Given how cheaply you can pick up a decent DVD player with optical and component output these days a HT Mac mini has to do atleast those two things flawlessly.

I'm just not sure how Apple's version of TiVo would work, IE: just OTA (over-the-air) signals? If it can't change your satellite or cable channels to record the right show at the right time then it's pretty useless to me as the only "TiVo like" feature you'll get is the ability to pause/rewind whatever is connect to the video-in port on Mac mini.

Bottom line: I doubt they can add all necessary inputs/outputs a home theater system need and still keep the price at around $500

Forum Links
Forum Rules