Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Firewall recommendations

Firewall recommendations
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2007, 07:55 AM

So one of the knocks against Leopard is the new firewall application. I may be wrong but from what I've read apple has stopped using ipfw and instead written a home grown version.

I'm not liking the lack of control over this, as turning it on, interferes with my vpn connection.

Any recommendation of a good firewall application, preferably one with a graphical front end. I really don't relish going to the terminal and monkeying with strings to control a firewall.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Nov 1, 2007, 08:44 AM

Go here and check this out: Intego: Leading Internet Security and Privacy Software . I used to use them on my powerbook when I switched back to macs a few years back. Sucks we have to revert to this if apple screwed up on the security on leopard. I will wait on a few more reviews before deciding if this is needed. Netbarrier has a little bit of a learning curve but I think they are the best of the bunch.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

mjankor
Nov 1, 2007, 08:51 AM

ipfw is definately still installed. I'd wait a couple of days and see what the rebuttal is. It may well be that the complaints all stem from Apple leaving the firewall off, rather than any lack in the firewall app. I must mention though that I haven't bothered doing any investigation into it yet.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2007, 09:17 AM

They left if off on prior versions of OSX and that's not my complaint. Not being able to set the ports as I need them is my issue. Plus its seems from what I've read it is now using application specific logic as opposed to port specific. Turning it on screwed up my VPN and there was little I could do to leave it on and allow VPN and carbon copy to operate.
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Nov 1, 2007 at 09:44 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2007, 09:27 AM

Back in the early days of OS X, when Apple included IPFW but no GUI to configure it, there was a popular GUI front end piece of software for it. Perhaps someone needs to make such an app again.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules