Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > So who is going to...

So who is going to...
mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2003, 02:24 PM

..Modify iTunes 4 so that it doesn't look like pure crap? The previous versions looked way better.. I don't know if I can stand the ugly buttons now.

Phazer80s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2003, 02:59 PM

Those buttons ARE crap. I wrote Apple about them, re. their appearance in iMovie3. They look cartoonish, out of place with the *realism* in surface finish, reflections, shading, depth and lighting throughout Aqua.

The buttons need the depth of their predecessors. They might look better in another theme (ex. an XP theme.) Considering the polish of Apple's metal interface, the new buttons just look amateurish.

Boo!
Still waiting for the day LAUNCH.COM allows OS X users to view it's precious videos.

G4 733 Digital Audio
1 Gig GForce 2MX

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 03:02 PM

Yeah, I miss the interface of iTunes3. And let's NOT even mention the absolutely atrocious FONTS!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Phazer80s:
Those buttons ARE crap.
Agreed. It doesn't feel great when clicking on them. It felt like they won't be "pressed" because it's too flat and hard

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 03:58 PM

I guess Apple's theme of 2003 is to go with the flat, glossy button look. Hopefully this won't be the new standard in 10.3. The standard Jaguar buttons look so much better in my opinon, and I wish they would just use those. But then again, almost nothing about iTunes seems to use "standard" controls. They are all so cleverly faked...

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 04:16 PM

Also, is it just me or does the sound quality seem to have diminished?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Vi0
Baninated
Apr 28, 2003, 04:20 PM

What's the deal with Apple changing its interface every three seconds. At first it was all aqua (plus metal iTunes) then it was Aqua and Metal (the old metal style with floating window buttons and old buttons). Next its Aqua + Old Metal + New Metal (with recessed window buttons and old buttons).

Now it's Aqua + Old Metal + New Metal + Newer Metal (with recessed window buttons and new cartoonish buttons).

Wow. The iconsistency is troubling and making OS X look really ugly. My advice to Apple: keep a design like Aqua and stick with it!

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Apr 28, 2003, 06:40 PM

I guess I'm in the minority since I like the new recessed look. IMHO, I think these look more professional than the round gumdrops. I hope they update QT soon to match.
Who'sDaMac?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Apr 28, 2003, 06:51 PM

I too like the new buttons better. These are the kind of buttons me and Rene did in the iFix for both iTunes 3 and QT and I think they are cooler than the gumdrops. Although I agree Apple should get the consistency together. Maybe that will be solved in 10.3 when they get the chance to reinstall all their iApps.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 07:00 PM

The new buttons are fine, but what's with the vol slider?
click one

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2003, 07:33 PM

Max for some reason i liked the ones you did better.. were they smaller? and i like the new vol slider.. i get sick of aqua bubbles after awhile.

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2003, 08:03 PM

i like all the widgets and buttons. except the volume slider. that just doesnt look.. right

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 09:46 PM

At the risk of sounding dumb... How/where are the font different? Look exactly the same to me...

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2003, 09:57 PM

I like the new look alot more. Looks more in line with Apple's recent gui designs.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 10:21 PM

Apple's design has been kinda strange this year... like the last bunch of iPod's packaging didn't look like Apple's other sleek smooth designs, they didn't even use Apple Garamond for the font! They seem to be trying a new look, but I'm not sure I like it.
click one

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2003, 10:28 PM

Apple's been moving away from Apple Garamond since the release of the eMac, dude.

that's a while now.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2003, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Yeah, I miss the interface of iTunes3. And let's NOT even mention the absolutely atrocious FONTS!
That font can be changed with Tinkertool. Mine looks much better with Copperplate lite.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 11:22 PM

Max's version of sunken widgets are way better than the ugly dark things that Apple's been using...

The inconsistency is a bit troubling too... especially the semi-recessed metal buttons at the bottom.

Still, overall, I think it's better than iTunes 3, but I'll be more than happy when the next iFix comes out to fix those widgets.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2003, 11:24 PM

The thing with the fonts in iTunes 4, from what I've heard, is not iTunes problem relly. See if you font smothing in the general preferences is set to off for 8 and smaller. I think that makes them look better.
|wishing is for suckers|

Forum Links
Forum Rules